End of collective bargaining/other anti-union measures plus reactions ...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    You were trying to suggest that the preponderance of minimum wage jobs isn't a structural problem but rather a lack of individual motivation to advance, and you implied that because your friend got a job at $30,000 after six years of minimum wage service to the company, Wal-Mart was doing well by its workers.

It's an incredible stretch, it's completely non-scientific, and it goes against all recent research in economics and sociology, which suggests that possibilities for advancement in these jobs are minimal at best. In a word, it's bullshit.

There might be reasonable ways to argue the position you seem to hold, but this is not even close to being one of them.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't implying anything but thanks for projecting.

What I did was cite an example from personal experience. if you don't agree with it being possible, I disagree because I have seen it happen.

That's a you problem.

3. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I don't agree with it being possible. But I also don't agree with it being likely or common, and neither does anybody else who studies this stuff.

I have personally seen an meteoroid enter the atmosphere, split into three pieces, crash into an island on the opposite horizon, and produce a sonic boom and a cloud of smoke. Most people say they're extremely unlikely to see something like that happen, but it's an example from my personal experience so I know that meteoroids can enter the atmosphere and hit the earth. We should probably install anti-asteroid missiles every two miles across the whole country, because, hey, it's possible!

Boloni86 repped this.
  4. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Now this is a legitimate point.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is the problem people thinking that they can make a career out of a minimum wage job, they should be entry level jobs with people looking to move on to other jobs eventually.

Plus you would think that after a few years they would bump the salary up a few cents here and there.

Shit I remember in High School, I started at minimum wage and after a few months I got a 50 cent bump (Everyone got it after a certain time).

Also, I do not think Wal-Mart pays minimum wage I believe starting salary for wal-mart full time employees are above 10 bucks per hour. Their issue is they have low benefits and have a large part time force.

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is, they have very few full-time employees - they can futz with your hours to make sure you get less than 32 per week, their managers get bonuses for doing it creatively. That pushes the employee benefits responsibility from the company onto the taxpayer.

All to save you 2 and a half cents on a loaf of bread or a bottle of shampoo.

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the unionized grocery workers have that problem.

fatbastard repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A key reason Wal-Mart exited germany was that the govt would not change the law to allow this sort of thing.