End of collective bargaining/other anti-union measures plus reactions ...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about just increasing property tax until no one can afford to own a home?

2. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What industry?

3. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pilots?

5. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol good one.

it's a good argument, and many left-libertarians make that same argument; but like all arguments, it depends on your audience. If you're trying to convince conservatives, the more "typical" libertarian, and anyone else right-of-center, that RTW laws are restrictions on freedom, you're going to have a tough time saying "it's not fair to the unions that an individual keeps more of his or her money."

6. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Do you have any stats that back this up? Im not disputing this because i dont know enough about it to, but i would love to see some stats for this.

7. mak9

mak9 Member

May 21, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    look how these liberal unionist gang up and try to assault this poor journalist, trying to have an honest discussion on what they're protesting about...

unions are the real parasites

They're the reason why North America has lost its industrial base.
    They're also the reason why a lot of young people can't get jobs in the manufacturing sector, because of all the protection measures they've set up, to prevent younger workers to come replace them.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Link?

9. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mechanics. Pilots are worse.

Both work groups have limited employment opportunities. If a pilot or mechanic works for 5 years and builds a skill set they should be able to market themselves as such. The industry is built on seniority and an experienced worker starts at the bottom of the pile if he changes jobs. Union or non-union. Do you support collusion by employers that locks employees in like this?

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you prove collusion? If you can, take them to court.

Do you approve of union practices that keep older workers working when younger workers are told there is no work?

11. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this a few pages back. Unions are required to represent workers that chose not to join their organization. They also negotiate wages and work rules that benefit those that choose not to participate. What do Libertarians think about laws that require unions to provide services without charge to workers that choose to keep their money rather than pay for those services?

12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell them it's a condition of employment. if you want to have a union, you have to do things you don't want to do, just like everyone else. Why do you think unions should be given special advantages?

13. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if anyone has tried. What do you call a system that bases pay and benefits on seniority that is used by all employers in an industry?

Employers put 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars into training for pilots. I would think that a potential employee with that kind of training is worth more than the one that you have to put that money in to. The industry disagrees.

In my industry that is the practice at union and non-union employers.

I think that is one way of cutting employees. I'm not sure it's the best or worst way. What is a better way? If you have a workforce of 5,000 or so that do the same job and you lay off 500, how do you decide which ones are "the best"?

14. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except that it isn't.

I think that if unions are required to represent people they should be paid for what they do. If RTW means that unions do not have to represent employees in a group that they represent that choose not to participate then you have a point. They did not change that part of the law.

15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    OK. Sorry to come to the discussion late. Small point of contention but that is Steven Crowder. I wouldn't call him a journalist. If he is, he is in the same vein of journalism as James E. O'Keefe (the ACORN/Prostitution video) and Michael Moore.

carry on.

16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would agree with you if people were asking them for representation. Instead, we have a situation where the workers are told they are going to be represented regardless of whether they want it or not, and their pay has the fee deducted.

17. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    If you want to see America's economic future look at retail little unionization, it's perfect, a paradise.

You don't know your hours a week in advance, so you can never plan anything outside of work. Because your life = your job. LOL trips or friends

Your hours can vary from 30 (because full time is to expensive) to 10. Perfect for paying for things like.........monthly payments with that big $200 check.

Saturday? Whats that? Nights? Evenings? 11 PM then 7 AM clopening shifts are ideal. Hey you had 8 hours off. Well really 7.5, you had to clean for half an hour. Then take the bus home, then eat (because you can't eat at work) So lets make it 6 or so. Good luck falling asleep. Just take a pill, if you have insurance to buy them. Otherwise use Nyquil

Thanksgiving? Working. Any religious holiday other then Christmas? Good luck with that. July 4th? Working. Labor day? Working. Sunday? Probably working.

Don't like it? Complain? Overqualified? Tough. Starve to death or beg. Another crop graduates from high school in June.

18. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I feel like I need to make an addendum. I don't approve what happened to the guy. Journalist gather facts, report on both sides and and present and unbiased report. Steve Crowder is someone who comes in with the an agenda, create leading questions and provokes people (not a positive thought provoking way).

It didn't need to happen at all.

Carry on... Again

19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they can go work somewhere else if they don't like it. Problem solved. Yay freedom.

20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I can post this example as it is from my direct experience, but the law society i had to join in NZ was effectively a union.

They certainly had the effect of increasing costs - but they also ensured exceptionally high standards of behaviour and conduct, not to mention fidelity fund and disciplinary proceedings.

I am in favour of some level of dergulation in terms of making quality advice and documentation available digitally at low cost.

However deregulation will certainly lead to lower standards in my view.

21. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea that mechanics should work 20 hour days with only 6 hours rest in between is chilling - unless we're talking surge ops in a war zone.

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you are a member of the skilled trades. Work is difficult to find if you are a plumber, electrician, carpenter. Or autoworker.

23. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is law and they are still represented after the RTW laws are passed. The unions just can't force them to pay for the representation. If they are free to refuse the union isn't it logical that the union shouldn't be legally required to represent them? If so, why isn't that included in RTW laws?

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  24. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with the union being able to refuse representation for people that don't want to pay for it. Looks like all the money the unions donated to their Democratic reps went for naught.

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The place my father worked was non-union. They paid approximately the union wage, paid attention to safety (they were very afraid of "the OSHA man"), gave out free turkeys at Thanksgiving and had a big crawfish boil or picnic every spring. When it was time to vote on having a union, management's motto was "vote no and save your dough" (union dues). Worked every time. They also hired college age children of employees to fill in during the summer months, so I got to experience the love for 3 summers - and make a shitload of money.

fatbastard repped this.