Emerging Portuguese Players 2013/14 WC Year

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Amido Balde scored again for Celtic

Now that Eder is confirming himself as a failure in a fail club, I wonder if he will become the anointed striker Saviour here on BS?

Makukula, Edinho, Vaz Te, Eder...now....BALDE

Balde has an advantage in that he received training in Portugals finest youth program
    (Sporting CP academy)

2. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Rúben Vezo apparently on the move to Valencia.

3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Can't believe the bigger liga sides are not trying their best to snap this guy up, he seems to have a fair bit of potential, time for this kid to be at a minimum on the 21s bench.

4. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, there was Sporting's reported interest in him but we do have Dier, Semedo and Tobias Figueiredo to worry about in the first place.

5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Seems to many good young players are leaving portugal too soon.

Also 19s squad announced for the first round of qualifying, unfortunately Marcos Lopes one of Portugals and europes most exciting talents is out injured. This will probably force Ponde ino the CAM role.

----------------Oliveira-----------
    Riquicho-Rebocho-Nunes--Rafa
    --------Tomas----Guzzo----------
    Ivo----------Ponde-----Santos
    --------------Silva-----------------

Guarda-redes: Guilherme Oliveira (Sporting) e Tiago Sá (SC Braga);
    Defesas: João Nunes (Benfica), Rafa (FC Porto), Mauro Riquicho (Sporting), Nélson Monte (Rio Ave) e Pedro Rebocho (Benfica);
    Médios: Francisco Ramos (FC Porto), Helinho (V. Guimarães), João Palhinha (Sporting), Raphael Guzzo (Benfica), Rui Correia (SC Braga) e Tomás Podstawski (FC Porto);
    Avançados: André Silva (FC Porto), Cristian Ponde (Sporting), Gelson Martins (Sporting), Ivo Rodrigues (FC Porto) e Nuno Santos (Benfica);

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Been watching this Figuieras kid for some time now, really good player, can play LB/AM and is a superb passer. Bento is doing some shitty scouting.

7. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Can somebody explain to me why Carlos Mané gets called up to the first team while Joao Mario, for example, is stuck on the B team?

I can't help but think some of those players' development is being stagnated by being stuck in second division. It had to be discouraging mentally. Hopefully they get loaned out to first division teams in January.

8. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As much as I despise those bribing cvnts and all their players, Bruno Alves played one hell of a match against Galatasaray and won nearly all air duels with Drogba.

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good to hear, though I think Bruma is stagnating big time in that environment.

10. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    true, but that had most to do with Galatasaray not being able to create the game and the midfielders not being able to assist the attackers.

They've played terrible, and lost the ball every 5 minutes. Very dreadful moments.

11. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Bruno Fernandes play the full 90 minutes for Udinese in a 1-0 loss to Catania. Hopefully he can nail down a spot and improve our creative midfielder stocks.

12. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Carlos Mané is a winger, João Mário is a midfielder. Leonardo Jardim wanted to call a fourth winger so he called Mané.

What you should ask is why he chose Mané over Esgaio, Iuri and Chaby. I guess he chose him because Mané is playing and training better right now. The others will certainly also have chances of their own.

13. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Carlos Mane, Chaby, Medeiros, Esgaio

the future is GREEN AND WHITE

14. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Realistically, most of those Sporting B guys are already 20, turning 21 soon.

How good are they actually going to be? Contributors to the national team maybe, but I'm not sure I see any Moutinho's or Coentrao's there.

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Youd be surprised

16. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Moutinho was already starting games for a selecao when he was 20. Joao Mario, who is my favorite of the group, hasn't even had more than a few days on the Sr. Sporting team.

Depth is critical, and they'll provide better depth than we have right now. But I'm not sure that group of players is going to be a driving force to winning a European cup.

That said, Bruma, Tiago Ilori and William Carvalho can certainly be those guys, in my opinion. Not all of Sporting's youngsters have to pan out. I'm not sure I see the guys who haven't made it out of there yet ever being more than Adrien's and Andre Martins'.

17. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How do you know

not too many people knew about William Carvalho last year, and hes been one of the best players.

Its really ridiculous to write players off just because they are barely 20 years old.

Theres lots examples of Portuguese players who only come into their own at a later age.

Zidane one of the best players ever was a relative unknown up until age 25...
    not everyone is like CR7 or Messi and becomes a start before they turn 20.

18. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I understand. Not writing them off. Just saying, typically guys who end up being top players are further along at that age.

I mean, I haven't seen a lot of his play on the B team, but have Joao Mario, Betinho or Esgaio improved in the last 2 years, for example? They've been stuck in the mud, in my opinion. I hope they're given a shot at 1st team football soon to speed up their development. There's only so far you can go on the B team and they may have reached that point a while ago.

19. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    #144 The Special One, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Sporting has a very young side in the seniors and unfortunately there's only so many young players you can have in your first team squad.
    I have to be honest, I don't really rate Joao Mario and never really have, seems to be a player rated highly byut just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong

The guy who has just been outrageous this year and it stemmed from the u19s euro is Bernardo Silva has been the best player in the liga Honra by some way. I'm ecstatic that he as been rewarded with a 21s call up.

20. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bernardo Silva wont go anywhere tho

his name isnt Bernardo Silvic, so forget about him getting any chance in that club.

21. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Portugal started it's Under 19 Qualifying today with a 3-0 win over Luxembourg.

Porto striker Andre Silva scored 2 and Ivo Rodrigues scored 1.

22. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Quailified for the elite round today with a 6-0 v San Marino, Ponde was the standout scoring 3 goals, they pay Norway to see who tops the group, need to win to ensure home group play and easier group. With Marcos Lopes back and hopefully Romario 'Roma' Balde getting picked for the elite round they'll require some stopping. This age group is the one that aligns to the u20 World Cup so hopefully we can get there with the likes of Moretto and Sambu a chane to push for selection.

23. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They are far to young for that, they'll play the following u20 World Cup. These players are from 1995, maybe some from 1996. Moreto and Sambú are from 1998.

24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    We're one of the only countries that don't promote underage players at youth tournaments and it just stupid

25. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Wow Bernardo Silva was ********ing brilliant for the U21's today. Kid looks like David Silva.