Emerging Portuguese Players 2013/14 WC Year

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jun 30, 2013.

1. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    He is a special player.

2. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Incredibly.....inconsistent. Ha.

He creates so many opportunities. Such talent....and then he misses wide open nets. Unbelievable.

Tiago Ilori is on the bench today for Liverpool.

3. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    #103 Dan82, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    Marcos Lopes scored a hatrick in the Uefa Youth League against Bayern Munich. He now has 5 goals in 2 games, in this "Mini Champions League"...top scorer in the competition.

http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Internacional/liga_jovem_uefa/interior.aspx?content_id=846968

http://www.zerozero.pt/noticia.php?id=126726

Another guy to watch for is Porto Striker, Andre Silva. Scored 2 for Porto against Atletico Madrid in the same competition. Scored over 30 goals last season, and was left off Portugal's Under 19 squad for some reason.

Good video below shows some of the goals he scored this past season. Great goal at 2:32.

4. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I'm starting to come around to the idea mentioned by several of you who've mentioned Marcos Lopes as our top prospect. I wonder if he could be converted to a forward? In the mold of Aguero or Tevez? I know he's supposed to a winger (duh, he's Portuguese!), but he might just be the right combo of physical, technical, speed and brains. He just exudes skill and confidence - and he's only 17-years-old. Just look at the highlights from yesterday's game.
    Each one of those characteristics is in evidence.
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/man-city-u19s-6-bayern-munich-0-mini-champions-league/
    Can imagine if CR, Nani and Moutinho could rely on a striker up top who can actually hold the ball and do more than one thing with it?! (i.e. turn and take on defender or shoot or pass?). (none of our current strikers can do more than one of those things well).
    Or perhaps he could play as an AM? Perhaps some of you who've watched him more can comment?
    I don't know - although Bruma is very good I feel that Bruma comes from the exact same mold as Nani whereas Marcos Lopes might offer us something different and that we sorely lack.
    For me, he came out basically out of nowhere - impressive that Man City (and Benfica) grabbed him so quickly. After the last few games, he's got to be in the eye of some big clubs for the future.

5. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    He is an attacking midfielder, not a winger but he drifts wide a fair bit. The guy is a special player and he wasn't at his best in the u19s because he was returning from injury. Hopefully city can give him more first team action soon.

6. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Meanwhile, Bruma at the tender age of 18 plays the entire 90 minutes at Juventus in Champions League... In Mancini's first game at the helm... Not bad at all.
    Not bad for a kid who spend the better part of the last 3 months arguing for $$ instead of playing/practicing.
    Did anyone watch the game? I heard the familiar refrain of "a handful for defense with his speed but wasted chances with poor decisions/shots instead of passes"...

7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    he was ok but there wasnt match pace to the game, it was very a lethargic pace which doesnt suit him at all. However he did well and didnt give away the ball all that much. Was excellent at tracking back. IMO it was a very professional performance.

8. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Agree with ^ on Bruma today.

The not passing the ball probably comes from that opportunity in stoppage time where he had Drogba with him on a 2v2. He elected to shoot after slowing down the pace. I think he was just exhausted. He tracked back defensively a ton. The guy must have ran at least 8 miles in the game. He is extremely mature on the field for an 18 year old though.

As far as Lopes, he's a #10, not a winger or striker, although City uses him on the wing a little bit and the u19's had him playing out wide in the Euro, which I didn't like.

If he and Bruma can develop, look out at Euro 2016. Bruma will be 21, Lopes will be 20....

It might be too early, but....

-----------Ronaldo---------
    Bruma -----Lopes-----Nani
    ---Moutinho--Carvalho---

...sounds great to me.

Something on Lopes that I think he huge....He's the captain of the U-21 EDS team. He's 17 years old, one of the youngest ones there, a foreigner who has only been in England for 2 years, and yet he's the captain. I think that says all you need to know about his character.

What was Benfica thinking letting him go?

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
  10. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    To me, hearing that Bruma played with discipline and maturity is even more encouraging that hearing he burned a defender for speed. We all know he has wheels - but knowing he can earn 90 minutes of a game of this caliber and on this stage under Mancini's orders is very encouraging news indeed.

Lopes: Ok, cool. I wanted a striker but a true #10 would be a great addition too. Anything but another world-class winger... Yes, the captaincy is impressive indeed. He seems like the whole package.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who's this Diogo Figueiras kid from Sevilla?

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nevermind. Found highlights...

This video displays his skills as a defender, reminds me of Coentrao, not bad. Good move, bento!

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Also curious point:

Both the top scorer of the Champions League and the Uefa Youth League are Portuguese, with 5 goals. And yet we can't find a quality striker...

14. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Figueiras playing CF for Sevilla... Can play LB/RB. He is really fast. Carrico on the bench.

15. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Marcos Lopes is a gem. He is a short little bugger who isn't afraid to go for goal.

16. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Vezo and Horta from setubal seem to have a bit of quality.

17. *CRistiano9*

*CRistiano9* Member

Feb 26, 2010
    it appears obvious to me that the Portuguese talent pool is drying up. I blame the big clubs in Portugal buying too many foreign players and not trusting the youth. Figo if he was coming through the ranks today would never get his chance.

When C Ronaldo retires we are going have a few dark years.

18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Well, we don't need a superstar, let's build on collective effort rather than relying on on one player dark we always get lacklustre coaches so yeah, we are screwed

19. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    meh, post 2014 we wont look too bad

patricio
    Cedric-Pepe-Ilori-Coentrao
    William Carvalho
    Moutinho- Rafa/Andre Martins/Adrien/Joao Mario/Marcos Lopes
    Nani/Bruma-Eder-Ronaldo

20. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Lol, what the hell are you talking about. We have Marcos Lopes and Bruma rising in the ranks. They are two of the best, if not the best, players in their age groups (17 and 18 respectively). And Benfica and Sporting's youth teams keep kicking ass and taking names in European competitions (Euro Youth League and NextGen).

21. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No Emerging Players this year

instead this is what we can expect from Bento

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] \
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^^^^ Hahahaha.

Bruma & Lopes are the future. F--k the haters!!!!

23. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #123 s7kru, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  24. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  25. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #125 Area 51, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    Nelson Oliveira with 2 goals in Rennes' 5-0 victory over Toulouse.

Second leading goalscorer in France with 6 goals, 1 behind Falcao:eek: