Emerging Portuguese Players 2013/14 WC Year

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jun 30, 2013.

1. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Starting 11 for Portugal today against Spain:

Who are everybody's favorites from this 11? Who should we look for (other than Lopes)?

Varela, Cancelo, Figueiredo, Rudinilson, L. Rafael, Edgar , Podstawski, Marcos Lopes, Bernardo Silva, Hélder Costa e Guedes.

2. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Guedes has missed 3 sure-fire goals. Portugal should be winning right now.

Rafa and Silva have both been impressive. You can tell Lopes has a great touch and confidence, but you can also tell he's not quite back in form yet coming off his injury. I want to see how he looks in the later stages of the tournament.

3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    What a waste of time waking up, pitifull performance from both sides. Especially portugal

4. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I didn't catch the 1st half of the game today, but a few thoughts from the 2nd half:

My God, Joao Cancelo is as inconsistent a player as I've ever seen. His good moments are pretty spectacular, but sometimes he plays the game like he doesn't want to be a defender. His ceiling is high but he has to learn to control himself consistently.

Lopes needs to get more involved, which is why I hate seeing him on the wing. Leandro Silva isn't making anything happen in the middle; swing Lopes inside.

I really like Bernardo Silva. I just wish he was a little more athletically gifted.

Rafa has some bad moments, especially defending, but he can't flat out cross it. He whips in great balls.

5. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Portugal were really good in the first half, they dominated. Shots were like 9-3 in favor of Portugal. In the second half, they sat back a bit too much.
    You're right about Cancelo and Rafa. Both are great going forward but need to work on the defensive side more.

6. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    First half was a clinic, the Dutch who were physically superior couldn't get near the portuguese players.
    Second half was a bit sloppy from the centre of the park but we scored 3 goals so cant complain. Tobias is a machine portugals best player in the first 2 games by some margin, his partner ship with Ie is fantastic. Good result they haven't reached anywhere near their potential, very impressive

7. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Also Guedes as a makeshift striker worked quite well

8. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    How was Lopes performance in the 1st half? More involved than in the 2nd half?

In other news, Nelson Oliveira is being loaned out to Stoke City....Personally I hate this. I wanted him to stay in Benfica and get some playing time back home. I think going abroad hurt hum last season. I don't see him beating out Jozy Altidore for much playing time.

9. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Lopes was more involved and his close control and passing is quality, but he s been nowhere near his best which I guess is a good thing for portugal that if he does find form they'll be almost impossible to beat.

10. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005

It's the 3-3 classic between portugal and Spain at last years euro 19s, the reason I bring this up is because I want you guys to watch Spain's 3 goals and see who was the defender who was either caught napping or just plain shithouse for all three of Jese's goals. Very very funny and sad.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sporting bred players making their mark...Who's hating?!

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Jozy is at Sunderland, so that shouldn't be an issue.

13. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Portugal beat Lithuania 4-2 today, and advance to the semi finals of the Under 19 European Championship.
    Marcos Lopes was very good today, 1 goal and 1 assist.
    Carlos Mane and Tobias Figueiredo scored the others along with a Lithuanian own goal.
    We conceded the 2 goals from set pieces....gotta improve in defending those.

http://www.uefa.com/under19/season=2013/matches/round=2000315/match=2012705/postmatch/report/index.html#clinical portugal press into last four

Next is a semi final meeting with Serbia on Monday.
    In the other semi, Spain play France. I like our chances of going to the final, if we play the way we're capable of and defend free kicks better.
    We played Serbia a couple of months ago in a tournament and beat them 6-2.
    Marcos Lopes, Goncalo Pacienca and Cristian Ponde each scoring 2 in that encounter.

If we were at full strength, there's no doubt we would be European Champs...no doubt.
    Even without some stars, I think we still have a good chance.

14. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    They are the best side at the tournament even without the missing stars. the lithuanian player who scored 2 goals said that after playing all three sides Portugal were physically, mentally and technically the best side in the group.

15. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I haven't been able to watch the games, but Chaby has supposedly done very well for Sporting in the pre season.

Anybody have a little scouting report on him? He's 19, but only 5 games for the B team last year, and no appearances for the Senior side before this pre season. Where did he come from? Why wasn't he in the U19 Euro or U20 world cup?

16. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    injured all of last season with a serious injury.

17. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011

I wouldn't set the parade route for Chaby yet.
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, pre-season means sh it. Chaby and Zabordem have played mediocre teams which my 5 aside could play comfortably against.

Let's see where Chaby and Zabordem are in December.

portugal#1 repped this.
  18. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Raphael Guerreiro on my watch list.

19. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Amido Balde with the goal for Celtic in their 1-0 win over Liverpool yesterday.

20. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Danilo Pareira has rescinded with Parma and signed a three year deal with Maritimo. I really rate Danilo highly, for me he along with Mika were the main reason we went so well in 2011. Hopefully he can have a huge season with the Islanders. He played central defence last season for Roda but it seems as though Maritimo will use him as a Defensive midfielder.

21. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This guy was massive for U-21 jesus. On my watch list.

22. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Did not see the game...He played well?

Did Betinho show anything? After seeing the Holland game, I'm desperate for him to pan out.

23. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Mica and Kiko, f##k me sideways, 20s were doomed from the start, he's a clear upgrade from l.martins who isn't a half bad player

24. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Betinho, Iuri and Joao Mario all scored yesterday for Sporting B. I can't even find the highlights anywhere...Did anybody catch the game? I hate how these guys are still stuck on the B team.

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A Bola today says William Carvalho is close to being called up for the next qualifier by Paulo Bento

he deserves it, has been amazing so far.

portugal#1 repped this.