Election result schadenfreude

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Mr. Bandwagon, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only entertaining thing about your posts is your screen name.

2. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Come on now. That really hurts. :(

3. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    He sorta just assumes everything this side of the atlantic is here for us tbh. Even if it isn't in our borders it's ours

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've spent all day insulting people, so don't go getting all butthurt now.

5. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Just trying to fit in!

Barbara repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Might as well put that big military budget to use. Annex Canada, put their government in charge, adopt their health care, and take their oil. Win, win, win, win.

dapip repped this.
  7. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Mitt was brainwashed.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  9. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I believe that was the Monroe Doctrine, more or less.

10. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I told him the sixth largest economy in the world Brazil might take issue with that in the year 2012.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People like that aren't stupid, they're just selfish. They put up blinders and shut the rest of the world out. That's the only way you can stay in the investment banking business.

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW.... He just confirmed what I always thought of him, he is a blowhard and an idiot.

SoFla Metro repped this.
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Old republican whitey on German Dailly show: "We will never accept Obama as president cause ...."
    min. 5.35:

Dr. Wankler, Mattbro and Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  14. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be more of a question for the sore losers thread, but how do conservative German politicians see the election result? I mean, do Merkel et al care one way or another, even if they won't let it on publicly? Or is it more of a general "let's all laugh at the Americans and their dysfunctional politics" sort of thing?

15. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High-quality schadenfreude summary @ Wonkette, aka
    [​IMG]

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I translated an article in the race for WH thread some weeks ago that Romney had plans to visit Merkel during his "abroad tour" back in August. But Merkel's advisers told her that Mitt was too unpopular in Germany for that so they told him "unfortunately Merkel could not welcome him cause she would be on her holidays in Italy at this time". The same article mentioned that due to the conservative ideology her party (CDU) and she herself has of course closer relations to the Republicans. She also considered Bush a smart guy and finds the whole "on contempt bordering" description of Bush presidency here in G as profoundly wrong.

I dont remember any conservative ever mentioning he supported Romney, but major politicians in general (as the population) do care about the election results. There is maybe only few reports ahead of the elections but as you could see in the vid, the "election night" itself is broadcasted until 07.00 am now which is kinda new. While the population rather supports democrats (you know the politcal spectrum is compared to the US far more left) politicians probably wish for the candidate who promises a better transatlantic relationship. Obama was and is more focused on the pacific.

Here is a Spiegel article that maybe will answer your question best on the "let's laugh at....thing":

Unrequited Love - Explaining Germany's Infantile Crush on Obama

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The German conservatives would prefer Obama, IMO. He's dead center (politically) on the international scale.

18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is one way to redistribute money from the 1% :)

19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pointless, but amusing.

People 'unliking' Romney on Facebook

People began unliking Romney's official Facebook page soon after the election results came in last week. The Washington Post noticed the drop on Friday, when the GOP presidential candidate's page was losing 593 likes an hour.
    By Saturday, Mashable said the exodus was up to 847 friends an hour, and as of Monday morning, Romney's Facebook page continued to lose around 11 likes every minute.
    For those who enjoy interactive graphics with their schadenfreude, the site DisappearingRomney.com shows Romney's Facebook likes dropping in real time. A ticker at the bottom of the page tallies how many people have unliked Romney's page just in the time users have been on the site.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I read that on Slate this afternoon. Basically, every time you refreshed the page, the number would be lower. Mitt would do well to update his settings so that only his family and fellow billionaires have access to his page.

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  22. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wish they could make a model that's affordable. All I need is a 4 door sedan and maybe cruise control. I'm not askin for any luxury.

23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tesla is trying to be a high end luxury car manufacturer. They are making battery packs and drive systems to power other manufacturers' fully electric cars, so you would be able to get a cheaper one from someone else eventually, but not from Tesla directly.

24. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine by me. I'd get a Nissan Leaf if the battery life was worth a shit.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone with an expertise in electro-chemistry, I can tell you that the battery technology just isn't there yet. Petrol engines have been perfected for over a century. Electric vehicles (as a consumer product) are in their infancy. Give it 5-10 years. In that time, battery price per capacity should be sliced in half, and you'll see EVs with 400 miles of range for $20,000

BimmerBenz95 and fatbastard repped this.