El Instante de Miguel "El Piojo" Herrera

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by and1football, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    or Gio...

2. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    See my thing, putting the bullshit rivalries aside......Pulldo is a sick ass player, but everyone else does what he does better at the moment.

The types of goals he scores is chicharos domain, oribe offers more than all of them period, and Raul plays the center forward role better because he knows how to throw his size around better.

Pulido is like a Gio light....it makes no sense that he would leave Gio at all. If anything like someone said if he's gonna go, it will probably be brizuela that gets dropped.

Sleepy Spaceman and and1football repped this.
  3. Talisman

Talisman Member+

Aug 5, 2011
    Stamford, CT
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

:ROFLMAO:

LGRod, Azul88, Neymadres and 11 others repped this.
  4. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    would take fabian over brizuela. :x3:

LGRod and robbits repped this.
  5. Overachiever

Overachiever Member+

Nov 18, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No you wouldnt :x3:

JJV1994 repped this.
  6. icybauer

icybauer Member+

Aug 8, 2011
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Brazilian wimmenz......

:inlove:

Neymadres, Otaku and JJV1994 repped this.
  7. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would leave Brizuela and Pulido out. Fabian and Gio have more merit, quality, and experience at the moment to be left out.

and I wouldn't drop Aquino because you never know if Piojo would have to change his formation to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 if things are going bad. He could put Aquino on the wings.

Pirru repped this.
  8. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    [​IMG]

LGRod, Azul88 and Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  9. and1football

and1football Member+

Nov 10, 2009
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

10. Mexcellence

Mexcellence Member+

Oct 12, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If Gio doesn't go that will be ridiculous. That excuse of not knowing the system and not having trained with Piojo better not come up.

icybauer and Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  11. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    Why not take Cheech, Oribe, Raul, Gio and Pulido? Pulido is one of our most consistent guys right now. He's been a goal machine.

12. elmaestro2

elmaestro2 Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Chicago(west burbs)
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think they're all going. They are pretty unique. Oribe, finishes so well, gio is creative, Cheech is your poacher, pulido can make some nice runs in the box and is good with the ball, Raul is a big guy who is pretty good with the ball as well. I could see them all playing.

13. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    If you mention almost every competition as overperforming, then maybe it's not underperforming but our right level. I don't know in what you base that we weren't a top 16 team (or top 20 if you take into account into groups) in the 90's and 2000's.

Those rankings were BS since Mexico wasn't a top 4th team. They weren't better than either team we would have faced in the 2nd round.

14. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    THIS!

there's no excuse NOT to take all 5 of them

and Gio doesn't necessarily have to play as a striker anyway

15. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Got to disagree. Gio is a dribbler and skill player, while I would describe Pulido's style as smooth and collected, almost effortless looking.

16. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Seeing Fabian play in that striker role and then looking way better when he was moved to the wing made me second guess having Gio play forward. The midfield may have had something to do with it but they were isolated for long stretches of the 1st half vs. the US

17. elmaestro2

elmaestro2 Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Chicago(west burbs)
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Fabian would've looked better if we stopped playing long ball after long ball. He wasn't going to win any against those tall defenders. Tactics were off in the first half as was effort.

Otaku, Saul Acosta and and1football repped this.
  18. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    We havent overperformed in every competition. We have done so in 1 (maybe 2) Confed Cups, 2 Copa Americas and 1 Olympics. I would also say that we have done so in 2 out of the last 5 World Cups. So even though these are a significant number of tournaments, they are still the minority since in the same period there have been 5 WCS, 5 Olympics, 7 Confed Cups and 5 Copa Americas. So we are talking about less than a third of the total international tournaments.

I would say that as of right now, we have the raw materials to be in the top 16, maybe in the 14 or 13 range. From 2000 to 2006 we were probably at 15 or 16. In the 1990s, I would put us in the 17-20 range.

So while I think that the Round of 16 reflects our true current level, I dont think this has consistently been the case in the past 20 years.

19. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    This is riduculous.

Your point is based on the mistaken premise that we should have made the quarterfinals in every single World Cup, which is absolutely ridiculous since we have never been a top 8 team in the world. Were there round of 16 games that we should have won? Absolutely, but the opposite also applies, there have been groups stage games that we should have lost. Overall, you have to look at a teams true level and the true level of the team is not within the top 8 in the world.

You have to take a hollistic approach, which you are clearly not doing.

20. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I dont see why Gio doesnt run back as a play maker and bring the ball up the field with his speed and dribbling, atleast to pass 1 defender then make a pass off, atleast to start some attacking action.

of course in open field is when he can shine, but he shouldnt be playing up top too much.

21. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    We actually looked better and had better results in those competitions than we do now in the senior team (the olympics is a youth tournament). In the 90'-2000's we did better in the world cup and Copa America, so how can you say we are in a bigger range now than at that time? On raw material? What does that mean?

DGreat repped this.
  22. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    We also need to develop better coaches....send them to Europe/S.America to learn new things.

I think we came really close in 94...But the coach decided not to make any subs.

Aguirre taking out Ramon Morales for an old Luis Hernandez etc.

Kaney repped this.
  23. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Right, but the results that we have had recently (and by that, I mean 2013) were a result of Chepo severly underperforming. Unless you are trying to convince me that there is a team in Concacaf with more talent than we have, then you must agree.

By raw material I mean the talent available which is the variable with the biggest correlation to results. It is hard to quantify talent, but if you base it on salary or transfer value, the team we have today has more talent than any team in the last 20 years. There are other factors at play, like the lack of scouting of the Mexican League in the 90s compared to today, but I think the point still stands even if you consider this. Right now, our top 5 players in Europe have a value of around 57 million Euros (if you include Vela, it goes up to about 80 million). This number is way above any objective valuation of talent (taken inflation into account) in the last 20 years. To put this into perspective, Bolton paid 1.4 million euros for Boghetti 9 years ago.

And when you see the performance of these players on the field, it is hard to argue with the results. Before 2010, Luis Garcia was the second mexican player with the most goals in Europe. In the last 3 years, Chicharo, Giovani (and Vela) have passed him and none of these guys are older than 25. I dont think this is a very controversial idea.

icybauer repped this.
  24. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Well I totally disagree with you in using talent as some measurement over results. Going to europe is a great measurement and the path to go in the right track but a lot of other factors go and I don't really think this is the undisputed most talented squad. Sure they must be applauded for what they done in going to europe but the results have to go in and your totally discounting them. 98-2002 were better world cups than 06-2010. Our last Copa America final was in 2001. We won the confederations cup. Almost all the results point to that. Yes Chepo sucks and is at fault, but that means that the talent has yet to show their worth and it might never happen. In every competition but the olympics (which is a youth tournament) they did better.

The 90 's was a really waste in potential figure but they had the results and the talent was there. They didn't take advantage as this new generation has but that still needs to be proven on the field and a screw up like Chepo may end up costing us and it be the reason, if it's not shown on the field it doesn't count. Just as we could have had a great team in 1990 or Denilson and Magico Gonzalez been the best players ever, coulda doesn't count.

DGreat and deepspace repped this.
  25. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    This is not an idea that I am pulling out of the air. The idea that talent (most closely reflected by a player's wage) is the biggest determining factor of results is a conclusion drawn from over 40 years of studying data in just about every league and international competition. This really isnt a controversial idea since in general talent (quanitified by a player's salary) explains about 70-90 % of results. Here is one of these studies analyzing the English footie specifically: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f340caae-47cd-11e1-b646-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ylxR9Gxf

Your conclusion is reversed. It it talent that determines the biggest part of results and not results that determine the biggest part of talent.