"El Homie" and the Xolos: Edgar Castillo @ Tijuana [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pl@ymaker, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just saw this video of 'dinho from THIS SEASON: they're gonna have their hands full...he is still the best player in the world! part of me thinks xolos have a good shot, they're plucky the upstarts, after all. they just need to contain ronaldinho, who when on form is perhaps one of the 4 most devastating players in soccer history...

bungadiri and Testudo repped this.
  2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ronaldinho didn't really do sh*t last night. Diego Tardelli was the one causing all the problems.

3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That video is breathtaking, though. The most entertaining player I've ever seen, who played within 15 minutes drive of the border last night. Wish I lived in SoCal, I'd definitely have been there. Xolos were minutes from taking a 1 goal lead down to Brazil, too. Still pretty gutted over it.

bungadiri repped this.
  4. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...Castillo completed the full game at left back, bombing forward with regularity and causing Mineiro myriad problems.
    The 26-year-old almost opened the scoring in the 27th when he played a one-two and burst into the penalty area, stretching to loft the ball over ‘keeper Victor, only to see the effort drop wide of the right hand post.
    After the break, Castillo continued to force Mineiro onto the back foot on the left flank and almost set up a goal in the 51st when he dribbled into the box and laid the ball off.
    In the 64th, he had another effort from long range, but it sailed a couple of yards wide, with the ‘keeper having it covered...."

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The opportunities Tijuana missed were amazing. They could have easily scored 5 or 6! Then Mineiro gets lucky two times and they tied the game. I hope Tijuana can recover from this and go and finish away. They can do it!

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope I can watch it

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Probably the most entertaining, but those are some Eredivisie level defenses he's shredding. They just let him waltz through (Neymar too). He's certainly not the best player in the world.

Anyway, I love 'dinho.

As for Castillo, he was very good last night. There were a couple times in the second half where he tried to force the issue and couldn't beat his defender, but at the time I thought it was necessary to try to get a 2-goal cushion heading back to Brazil. He looked aggressive, quick, willing to shoot, and like he was mentally sharp. I think he should get the start in WCQ's with Fabian in front of him.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Really unlucky for TJ. They were winning the game 2-0....and gave up a HARD away goal....then another in the dying minutes. Unlucky...and I blame the tie on Gandolfi who botched it in the back for that alst goal.

It's going to be TOUGH to get a result in Brasil...but it can happen. Faith...

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    continuing the OT bit, i saw dinho once live, when he was at barca against villareal, back when villa had riquelme, had just gotten pires. anyway, both the latter were out injured (which was crushing--riquelme is the thinking man's ronaldinho), but dinho was at his sparkling best, scored his 50th and 51st goals for barca (the 50th a PK, the 51st a stunning chested overhead volley under pressure...youtube it, but you've probably already seen it)

probably one or two in my top two moments of ever watching a game. the word effervescent comes to mind. he's just an irrepressible talent. how many times have one (not to mention 2/3/possibly 4) of our guys gone against him? i'd think as a player, they'd be just as giddy as us fans, if not more. great opportunity for Xolos, but also one, win or lose, they'll be telling their grandkids about.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I want to see what exactly he was wearing... I doubt he was wearing running shoes. Probably 'astro' bottom boots.

TJ's keeper, Saucedo wears astros too out there.

12. wesboi

wesboi Guest

That sucks...

13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still have this video bookmarked and watch it from time to time.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    OK.

Proof that 'Dinho was wearing Astro bottom's not indoor (hardwood) shoes as stated by some media. Pic taken from Getty Images site:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the back heel...and it's back black little studs. It's clearly an astro bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it was the indoor bottoms, it would be flat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if this seems too obsessive...but just annoying that they painted out like Ronaldinho was playing in 'tennis shoes', or even some form of Nike 'flats' for wood. He was playing in the right shoes for the right surface...

Suyuntuy and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Exports: Joe Corona, Edgar Castillo believe in the upset in Brazil in Copa Libertadores quarters
    "Joe Corona and Edgar Castillo believe they are capable of a major upset in the Copa Libertadores quarterfinals.
    Club Tijuana were 2-0 up as they flew out of the blocks in the first leg at home last week against Brazil's Atlético Mineiro, but Ronaldinho & Co. got back into the game and came away with a slightly fortunate 2-2 result in the Estadio Caliente.
    Now Tijuana need to win in Belo Horizonte or secure at least a 2-2 draw against the favorites on Thursday (9 pm ET, Fox Deportes) to advance to the semifinals against Boca Juniors or Newell's Old Boys.
    “We’re still alive,” left back Castillo told reporters in Tijuana last week. “We’re confident, we just have to score one goal and not get scored on. We just have to play a good game.”
    Rather than being overawed by playing against one of the greatest players in world football over recent years, Castillo believes facing Ronaldinho actually inspires him and his team, and Xolos certainly weren’t distracted last week, when they were the best team for large swathes of the first leg.
    Both Americans will fly up from São Paulo to Washington, D.C., after the Libertadores tie, but are unlikely to be ready in time for the US national team’s game against Germany on Sunday (2:30 pm ET, ESPN2/UniMas).....
    Thursday’s game represents an end of an era at Club Tijuana, with coach Antonio Mohamed almost certain to be leaving the club – even if there has been no official statement from Xolos.
    For both Americans, the Argentine coach that took the club from relegation strugglers to one of the Liga MX best sides has left a deep impression.
    “I became like I was [with] Santos here,” said Castillo, who won his first title with the Guerreros back in 2008. “We’ve been doing good things, winning the championship and now, [playing in] the Copa Libertadores, so I have to thank [Mohamed] for all the good stuff happening in my career...."
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ar-castillo-believe-upset-brazil-copa-liberta

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo is a muslim?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mohamed is his coach at Xolos.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mohamed is a Lebanese-Croatian-Argentine! Strange combo on the surface but Chile, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay have decent number of folks that have roots to Eastern Block countries.

Sadly, I think after the Quarters, Mohamed is calling it quits. He's going to relocate back home to Argentina to devote more time to his family. He's been nothing but a hero at Club TJ and has really help build a wonderful club. Our Yanks are probably all appreciative of the work he's done and the opportunities he has paved for them.

19. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Exports: Last-gasp heartache sends Edgar Castilo, Tijuana out of Copa Libertadores
    "...Club Tijuana went out of the Copa Libertadores on away goals after an epic quarterfinal second leg in Brazil on Thursday.... US international Edgar Castillo went the full 90 minutes for Tijuana, producing a tidy performance pushing high up the pitch on the left wing.... Playing as a wing back with three central defenders in the first half and as a standard left back in the second, Castillo held his own against right winger Bernard, who is being linked to European clubs such as Borussia Dortmund.... Corona and Castillo now face a long trip back up north to join the US national team squad in Washington for the friendly against Germany on Sunday."
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...tache-finds-xolos-copa-libertadores-quarterfi

Tom Collingsworth and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Tough way for Xolos to go out as they deserved a better fate based on how they played over 180 minutes. For most of this series, they were the better team. But...

They didn't convert scoring chances at home that would have stretched their lead and then had the mental lapses at the end of that game and then yesterday they fell asleep on a set-piece and then failed to convert a couple of golden chances and then, of course, the PK.

I'm sure they're very disappointed but Xolos and their fans have nothing to be ashamed of.

As for Edgar Castee-zjo, as the announcer on FSC Espanol says, he was really good in both games. He makes great, dangerous runs going forward and they are unpredictable. What separates him from so many US flank players is he is willing to cut in to the middle and often continues his run after passing the ball, thus making him more dangerous.

Defensively, he was solid and rarely, if ever, got burned and none of the goals were his fault. He'll never be a lockdown defender, but he's gotten much better since getting to TJ.

Hopefully Klinsmann can figure out a way to incorporate Edgar's skills onto the field, either at LB or LM as he is in great form and could make the US much more dynamic.

Pl@ymaker and m vann repped this.
  21. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Would love to see some sort of combo of Edgar and Fabian on the left for the USMNT.

Great run from the Xolos and very unlucky.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Corona has disappointed me, though. Even though he's been placed on the flanks, of late, to give him more creative space, he's not managed enough to be noticed. I don't see JK using him for more than a few minutes, if that at all.

On the other hand, Castillo has made a decent case to be in the main team.

PS: BolivianFuego, great detective work on Dinho's footwear.

23. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the more i watch castillo, the more i see a defensively better young version of beaz. same build, super quick, good ball skills, both can float around a bit. let's not forget how beneficial it'll be to have them together on the same team. beaz can impart a lot of wisdom on the ins and outs of flank work.

24. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I see Castillo and FJ switching on the fly on the field, togther confusing teams with theri switching and each of their strengths. Castillo has some sweet crossing too for those complaining about our lack of real 'service' frmo wingers...that's castillo to a 'T'.

Pl@ymaker repped this.