El Grande: The Darren Fletcher debate

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know why you're posting this in here. You think Fletch is injured. More than he's letting on.

You know what I think. He never got that bone chip properly fixed from last year and thought it went away. And now it's flared up again.

Just my hunch...

2. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We could only speculate whether he is injured or is having some problems with his girlfriend. Who knows, perhaps Rooney is banging her?

As Michael said, I am not surprised he did not show up for this game in particular because he was the one that showed up in big games.

Personally, in the past, I think he was motivated to actually make it on the team and there were always speculations that he was going to be transferred out. With new signings like Hargy, Nani, and Anderson, I believed he wanted to prove himself and worked his a$$ off to impress. Now, I believe he has gotten a lil too comfortable with his position knowing that he is the first person on every big PL and CL matches and has not improved since last year as a result of complacently and lack of competition. In addition, because Anderson and Hargy are injured, Scholes and Giggs not playing regularly, and Carrick's Achilles, and no one in our reserves who is touted to step in immediately, he is not motivated and is slacking off in his position.

Fletch better shape up because I know Fergie and the fans expect more out of him and is looking into fortifying our CM position.

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i guess this is technically the last Fletcher thread. the other one actually with thread was last used in 07.
    anyway this will have to do for now unless someone would like to make him a new, proper one

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...cannot-be-ruled-out-of-champions-league-glory

4. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Do you keep him on the first team or push for a replacement and have him retire?

He take up a role in the youth system.

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If anyone is going to give Fellaini games, Fletcher still has a role. He should play over Fellaini whenever he is fit.

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Fletcher should be allowed to leave if he can actually play without health problems.

The rumour is that we will allow him to leave if we get a "good" offer.

7. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No.

Fellaini is a blunt object, but one that can come in useful against the lesser PL teams. Fletcher is slow, weak (now), and doesn't do anything exceptionally well. He doesn't have the speed, strength, or wheels to be the harassing midfielder he once was and is now essentially just another body taking up a spot on the bench. He needs to go.

8. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we are going to pass the ball, he beats Fellaini every day. Fellaini doesn't even look good against lesser PL teams.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While I agree that Fellaini has shit passing and vision, I think you are overestimating Fletch's passing. He has been a pylon that just gives the ball back to Carrick when he receives it. I understand he's coming off a long layoff, but he doesn't have it anymore and likely never will again. He needs to go.

Also, Fellaini was just purchased for big money (unfortunately), so he's not going anywhere. Why keep 3 below standard CM's (Clev included) when we could offload Fletch and bring in another body or a youth like Petrucci?

10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    because Petrucci was sold and the other youth are not given chances

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Petrucci wasn't sold. He's on loan until the end of the season.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yes that is correct, my mistake. my point remains though

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Fletcher is our second best central midfielder and still has a clear role to play. However I would not want his presence to prevent us from making the required changes in midfield particularly considering the uncertainty with his illness.

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  15. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Everyone bar Moyes. And Rooney. And Fellaini.

nimma, Nathan18, Invincible and 3 others repped this.
  16. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fletch does not have, and never will have the stamina to play his high tempo / mobile / destroyer type game that he excelled at in his peak. I just dont see what the plan is with Fletch, but that has been the case for years now.

18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The problem we have is despite his illness he is clearly still the best midfielder we have, across the board, not called Carrick.

20. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree to some extent, although I think Cleverly can play much better than he currently is.

Regardless, its the same situation we have had for some time (Scholes for eg) in that we have a player who is taking up a CM spot, is better than other options (Fellaini etc), but still prevents signing or promoting to fill the spot properly. We have far, far to many players in a similar situation in both CM and wide midfield positions.

21. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    How long have we been complaining about this midfield issue now? How long are we going to be complaining about it before it's actually addressed in a meaningful way?

22. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? Until it's fixed, I guess. I thought Darren played well today in that he was able to tackle and actually get possession of the ball in midfield. No one else was tackling/pressing and winning the ball, especially in the second half.

23. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    It started when Keane went into decline - so about 2004.

24. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I suppose with Blind coming in and Carrick nearing his return we would see very little of him. I feel sorry for him, he's clearly trying his hardest but he just does not have it in him anymore.

25. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's done at United sort of level, but don't think he was the main problem at all yesterday atleast.