El Grande: The Darren Fletcher debate

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Hello all, :)

I would like to put a disclaimer on this thread before it gets going. I am almost bereft of an opinion about Darren Fletcher. Both the for and against camps for the player are too extreme for my timid eyes to read a Fletch inspired war. What I always do with young players is give them the benefit of the doubt. As far as that goes Fletcher is a kid and as such I find it hard to slate him. In fact, when Fletch has a bad game I don't write much about it for fear of both the Fletchfor and Fletchagainst camps begin yet another war of atrition that dies down...until the next questionable game.

This has been going on for almost 2yrs now. One side panning him and really making a bigger deal of an OK performance then is merited and the other side really overstating his attributes or contribution when he has an above average game.

SAF has reassured us all that Fletch is going to be a class player in a few years time. Sometimes I think he may be right, but others you'd think the manager has lost his mind. I've watched Fletch grow, admittedly don't watch him for Scotland (excpet in the Italy game where he was impressive) but at reserve level I never thought much of Fletch, I never got a 'high' vibe from watching him. If had've been writing profiles on here at the time his would be modest at best.

I've always found it hard to have an opinion on Fletcher. Tbh, I still don't know what I think of him. I see both the Fletch for and against sides. The one particular aspect I've always wondered about with Fletcher is what is he supposed to be. I.E an AM a CM a deep lying playmaker...etc Teso says he is played out of position, but I don't quite understand what Fletch would offer further up the field. For instance he doesn't like intricacy and he doesn't shoot often (I know he's scored some peaches for Scotland) but I haven't seen him do anything of much for United. That can't all be down to tactical restrictions, surely?

On some players I will come straight out and say they are not MUQ. You can see the poorness oozing out of them and they don't have anything to offer. Players like Silvestre, P.N, Djemba, O'Shea...I think we can all agree these are poor players, even if they had the odd good game here and there their overall contribution for United is sub-par and not MUQ. With Fletch I perch on the fence, devoid of an opinion. He's 21 yrs old. Players like Keane, Robbo, Ince weren't even at the club at those ages and for the most part people didn't get to see them ripen before coming here. If Fletcher was serving his apprenticeship elsewhere before coming here as a more complete product people would not have the opportunity to slate him so.

On the other hand.... I watch our kids at reserve level a lot.. you see several CM's at that level that you immmediately get a vibe for, so much so that I rate them, even though unproven at 1st team level, as above Fletcher - I can see that they are about something at 17,18,19 and that they already have a niche that makes them stand out plus a very competent overall game.

For example without hesitation, in my mind D.Jones, is a better player than Fletcher. A better passer, better reader of the game, leader, attacker, shooting even tackling I would put him quite some distance ahead of Fletcher for and he is 2yrs younger. D.Gibson is really not that far behind and he is a big robust lad. I can't use the 'age card' for Fletcher in these instances so it leaves me a bit more perplexed.

Regarding the age thing it could also be difficult to ascertain what it is about Fletcher that keeps him in the 1st team of United.

When you consider we tolerate Ronaldo's erratic game because the talent we can all see within him is immense.

Rooney can almost do no wrong. And is up there as one of, if not the most important player we have.

Rossi is emerging, his talent is obvious.

We all know precisely why these two are in the team so young (and why Rossi is being raved about). At any given time you can see why. But where does all this leave Fletcher? What is it that his fans see in him and what is it his detractors see in the same run of games?

It's not just idiots taking a view either. In fact, nearly everyone on the forum has taken a side, most, well respected and proven over time to have sense in their heads. howard is vehement in his pronounced ..um..vitriole of Fletcher ...Johno seems to flit from one side to the other. Motter and Billy are in the Fletcher club and the list of posters taking a camp goes on. Why? What has Fletcher done so right or wrong for such pronounced camps?

What is it about this player that frequently has the fans up in arms?

If you dislike the player - can you not appreciate he is a work in progress?

If you like the player - can you say he offers the team anything that say a QF would not, what is it, for you, that suggests Fletcher is worthy of a starting xi spot at United?

We've always had little arguement tagged on to non-related threads about anything United where a Fletcher row just erupts from nowhere. We've had accomodation of the Fletch and Fletch appreciation threads. But we have never gotten to the bare bones of the issue. People in one camp point to a few of Fletch's best games people in the other camp point to almost every average game Fletcher has. But no one really puts down the tangibles for and against Fletch in no uncertain terms except howard (and his hammer to crush a grape approach)

Should Fletcher be a United starter, why for or against?

Let's keep this civil btw, no silly flame wars. I'm actually quite curious about the true thoughts of both camps because I can see both the reasons for and against the player.

Cheers.

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I get the feeling I'll have a lot of work to do in this thread? ....

3. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I really hope you don't :(

lol, let's hope Motter does not censor those who oppose the Fletch as well! :D

Funnily enough, much like myself, I've never seen you have much of a good or bad word to say about Fletch. Do you sit atop the same fence as I on this issue?

4. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sort of like DS on this. Not much of an opinion, other than I hope he does well. That said, he was pretty horrible yesterday. You'd almost think Burton were wearing red with the passes he gave away. Maybe the rain was in his eyes :cool:

5. NYCgeezer

NYCgeezer New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New York City
    I have a similar opinion to DS:

I have faith in SAF's evaluations. There are times when I see great potential in Fletcher's abilities. However, there are also times when I am intensely frustrated with him.

Ultimately, at the moment, I do not always feel that Fletch is MUQ. I think that the reason he is given so much time is that we are lacking consistent CM's. I also think that if we do bring in a world class CM soon, he will spend the rest of his time developing as a non-starter, and will eventually regain his starting spot.

6. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I guess I occasionally comment on Fletcher, but I'm not too opinionated on him one way or the other. My stand is that he can occasionally make a pass to open things up, and that positionally he is sound when it comes to aiding the defense. He'll also rarely make a truly bad pass (though I hear he did against Burton). However, he doesn't instill confidence in me that he has the vision to consistently help the offense, nor does he make me feel like he's a smart passer. He sometimes seems disconnected from the offense. I'll make the occasional comment on him looking for the square ball first as that's just generally what I see. I wouldn't call him a bad player, just not a great one either. With the way he generally plays, it can be hard to include him in a United starting XI, but then he often contributes positively when you least expect it. When he played with Keane, things usually seemed different. Now, he often seems rudderless out there. I think he still has potential and could one day become that kind of player, but right now I wish we had someone better than him. If he doesn't have a true breakout season at some point, its only going to get worse for him. In the end, he looks like he could definitely be a fine player, but right now I have trouble believing he could ever be great. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

7. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    And I'll be actively monitoring this thread, ready to notify people that they've been placed on the FUCOF-FFS shortlist...

FUCOF-FFS!!

8. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    I hated Fletcheer when he first started playing regular first team football and was our starting Right Midfielder.
    Then when he moved to a more central position, I started to see he's out of postion out on the right... He started playing better as a CM and I started to think maybe he's got some potential there...

This season, after seeing Smith is not the answer to our CM situation I want Fletch to partner Scholes; and I think he's an improvement over Smith. Especially is the Aston Villa game when he play a beautiful through ball on Ruud's goal.

However, after Scholes is out due to his blurred vision, Fletch has been playing worse. I start to think if he's really going to be a good player, he should be showcasing his talent in these games when he's the main man in our CM tandems; instead it seems like he's trying to do much...like the mess we saw last night.

My conclusion: His role on our team should be a backup CM and should only be used to partner a more attacking CM in our 442.

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Actually, this thread is for you to give us insight into why you are so pro-fletch! Feel free to do so! :p :)

10. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full disclosure: I was solidly pro-Fletcher last season, soured on him early in this season and then threw my full support behind him again when his form improved. That being said, he was very poor against Burton.

Positives: Can make passes from midfield to create good chances for the forwards. Has a surprisingly powerful shot. Faster than he appears due to his spaz-like running style. Almost always in the right place. Does whatever is required.

Negatives: Inconsistent. Can make beautiful passes, but sometimes only to the opposition. Almost never shoots or even gets forward enough to do so. Not strong enough to be a consistent ball-winner. Unwilling (incapable) of stamping his influence on the team. No facial hair.

Fletcher could use this season to cement his place as one of the CMs for the future at United. So far, he hasn't made a strong case for this. He is superior to all the alternatives to partner Scholes but still is not convincing as the answer. Assuming that things continue in this way, other players will get chances to convince and Fletcher may never be a fixture on United's first team. I think he can do it but I don't know that he will.

11. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I think Achtung is right, here. Fletch is what I would call competent. He gives a hard effort and doesn't usually make dumb mistakes. He's not a star, and would probably be the weak link on any side capable of winning the European Cup, or Premiership, but he won't lose us a bunch of games either. Just as winning usually depends on Rooney having a good day, sometimes avoiding a loss might depend on Fletch not having a bad one.

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I posted in "The Last Darren Fletcher Thread" in November:

I'd only add that since then, he's taken some steps forward with his form generally improving. He's had a bad game here or there however, which I would point out is typical of most younger players, but I've been encouraged with his play lately.

The problem with Fletcher is that there's no flashiness to his game, or one thing you can point to, that makes him stand out in a game most of the time. However, you can definitely tell when we miss his influence in the middle of the pitch - in a different way than Scholes, Keane, etc. to be sure - but it's still apparent, at least to me. I'm not saying that there aren't 20 players in the world (or league) that couldn't do a better job of running things in the midfield for us today, but he's young and growing, and could still turn out to be something really special. At least, Ferguson thinks so, and that's enough for me. I'm seen enough potential there to continue backing him....

Up the FUCOFF-FFS!

13. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I am a mild supporter of Fletcher. I see a lot of good in him. Others have already listed his good qualities. I trust SAF's evaluations and he has been touting Fletch for a long time now. Ultimately I think this is the biggest gripe about Fletch. He is still very young age wise but that isn't what he feels like as a fan. He has had so many games, admitedly some out of possition, that it feels like he is a much older player. When you combine that with the fact, like Motter said, Fletch isn't flashy that tends to bring heavy criticism. You have to try to see what Fletcher is adding to the team whereas someone like a Rooney, Rossi, or Ronaldo it is much easier to see what they bring to the game.

Ultimately I think Fletcher is a slow developer, a late bloomer which is sad because now is the time where he has the best opportunity to silence his critics. I think he will become a good player for us one day but I don't think he is going to shine through right away. 2 more years is probably a fair estimation of his timetable for full development.

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Purely playing Devil's Advocate here, a detractor would ask/say is Fletcher worth the 2yrs of development? And why does he in particular get such leeway to develop when players like Kleb barely got a sniff of first team footy?

Is the player Fletcher is supposed to become really worth all of this effort?

------

Speaking for myself here and no longer playing D.A I would disagree with you on one thing with your Fletcher assessment. I couldn't care less if he never did a trick or any kind of flash ever in his nited career, as long as he could take command of games and control the pace of a game in either direction I'd be happy. My only disparaging words for Fletch are that I've always wanted him to 'be about something' anything. i.e a factor in some department for us. When I watch him play, I'm never really quite sure of what he is trying to do or if he has 'a plan' which is rather strange for a central type midfielder. I don't look at it as a bad thing nor a good one. It just generally confuses me with him.

15. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Alright then, I'll see what I can do shortly, for about the 105th time...;)

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, don't know if we could yet call him a truly late bloomer. I mean, he's not yet 22 years old. A player like Lampard, for example, didn't shine regularly until after his 25th birthday. The big difference being that he wasn't in a pressure situation until then, unlike Fletcher. We notice every little mistake Fletcher makes because there are so many more people watching him. Plus when the most successful manager in British history touts you so highly, well, people expect great things. Have we seen those great things yet? Probably not quite.

17. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit concerned that DS said he never rated him highly. That doesn't jive with what I've heard from others, but I know DS better than them... so... :(

I still have faith though. Remember, Fletch was a victim of some long term injuries coming through that set him back at least a year, if not more. So, he's a younger 21 year old, if you can say that.

18. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    do i rate fletcher as a player right now ? No 2-3 years now, i have a feeling that fletcher we'll be a great player - but the one question i have is when fergie's leaves who ever the next manager is he going to rate fletch as highly as fergie does now.

on side not ...does any one else notice how fletcher flaps his arms while he's on the pitch :D

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I've been indifferent really, not sure of the player. I've never had strong feelings he has a godliness we can untap, but like others have said, he may be a late bloomer - they're the hardest to call.

20. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone brought up a good point that has also been on my mind recently, the comparison between Fletcher and Lampard. Obviously, right now there is no comparison. How was Lampard rated at 21? Just curious.

21. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Lampard was a lot better then Fletch at 21. I have to be honest.

22. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I'm a Fletcher fan, I hope that nobody feels like they need to lie to me. :) So I take it that everyone in the Prem knew that Lampard would be a star one day. Certainly, Fletcher doesn't have the same cache. I still think that it's there for his taking. Maybe he needs to be like Rocky in "Rocky II" when Adrian comes out of the coma and tells Rocky to do one thing for her, "win".

23. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I think the difference with Fletcher and someone like Lampard is that Fletch is coming through at the best club in England after the likes of Scholes - truly world stars.

Lampard was expected to be a great player....by West Ham's standards. Not Manchester United's so it's hard. The general level of the players however is quite large. Lampard was a much better player at 21 then Fletcher is...you could tell he was about something he had impetus to his game whereas Fletcher, to me, does not. If you know what I mean?

24. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Fletcher, maybe someday I'll post enough pro Fletcher stuff to be part of FUCOF-FFS. The times that I've seen him play I see flashes of potential. I think the biggest thing is the fact that he's still 21 and that he's following players like Scholes and Keane. It has to be tough to follow such a pairing, especially since no one knows which one he'll be closer to, in terms of style, so he's compared to both.

25. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    You're well on your way, Redfoot :cool

OK, here goes...

A few years back, few saw anything remotely positive in young Fletcher, in his early performances for the club. Motter and I [pats self on the back/] were two of this small group that did see something, and joined forces, (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) and formed FUCOF-FFS!! Yet, while we always had fun with it (often at the KFC's expense, LOL) we firmly believed that the criticism Fletcher received was much too harsh, and frequently came in the form of one-sentence spewings from people (obviously not talking about DS or howard) that were only seemingly capable of appreciating a Ronaldo step-over, a Rooney wonder goal, a ball-winning tackle from Keano, or a bit of cool defending from Rio.

Over time more and more people began to rate Fletcher, and my jaw hit the floor when even Johno starting saying nice things about him;)
    Fletch did the dirty work, and made things easy for Scholes and Keano, simple as that.

As SAF said recently, his gait is "coltish", which cracked me up when I read it.

He's currently not gonna stamp his influence on a match like Keano so often did, but his work-rate is excellent and he almost always makes himself available as an outlet. In the last year, he's made great strides in reading the game and his positioning. He always tracks back, and if, for example, Gary goes on a run down right, Fletch will slide over and cover for him, preventing a counter. I haven't posted much about Fletcher lately because others have said it better than I ever could.

Billy always does a great job answering the Fletch critics.
    Teso, well, everyone knows his views on the matter:)
    VR has been a quite active Fletch supporter, and I always enjoy his posts on the subject.
    There have been many others as well, but the above have stood out for me

I'll always discuss Fletcher's abilities and shortcomings, but I really have grown tired of this debate (almost as much as the "Keano is past it/sell him" for the last four years, and the latest SerieLiga (trademarked by yours truly), flavor-of-the-moment ridiculous, CM-style, transfer thread rumors...

It's funny, one of the few things I remember about the session Motter and I had when Billy was in DC a month back, was the discussion we had about FUCOF-FFS!!
    Early in the evening Billy and gildarkevin were chatting about something, and Motter and I were having a laugh about this very subject. We both were reminiscing about the early days, and about how when FUCOF-FFS was formed, it wasn't to promote Fletcher as the next Keano, or even as an automatic selection for the team sheet. It was simply to give some support to a young lad that was getting loads of undeserved stick.
    If it were up to me, Fletch wouldn't even be starting right now, as our 1st choice midfield would look like this:
    Giggs-Scholes-Keano (not to open another can of worms)-Ronaldo
    In addition, I'd love to see us land someone like de Jong...
    But I still believe that Fletch is no doubt MUQ and hope he continues to develop. I enjoy moments like the "goal" against Chelsea (which came directly on the heels of the last Fletcher thread, so watch out YSB's), but also love seeing Fletch work his arse off and make a nuisance of himself, especially when it's to the opposing side ;)

So in closing...

If you don't rate Fletcher, no big deal, but baseless vile will quickly get you on the FUCOF-FFS!! shortlist, a place no one should want to be. Do a search, the unlucky few that have been shortlisted in the past don't seem to frequent these parts anymore, do they?...

With that, I'm off for a pint, good night and good luck...