Effective way to use $1 billion for improving MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by gamekid2k, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $1 billion?

Hmm, seems like enough money to buy Mexico. Their economy's in the shitter, and that would simply add a bunch of quality clubs, and a whole lot of potential USMNT stars (and allocation order players) to the pool.

In a buyer's market, with the right financing options, we might could get Belize thrown in for free.

2. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Nope.

http://www.economist.com/news/speci...ent-and-rising-violence-mexico-last-beginning

Achowat repped this.
  3. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go around Brazil and buy all the local neighborhood and lower division clubs. Take a look at all the best players in Brazil, they usually start off in little local teams and get poached by the bigger clubs when they are teens. Buy a few hundred little clubs and send the best kids to MLS academies. 20 years from now the entire Brazil NT would have went through MLS.

4. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    1 billion?

put it into MLS-2 to build stadiums then create a 10 year plan for fully integrated pro/rel.

5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

7. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I'm guessing you failed math in high school.

But otherwise i'd only adjust your plan to include paying garber to axe cusa and build a stadium for orlando

8. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...

cpwilson80, Zamphyr, ImaPuppy and 2 others repped this.
  9. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it really doesn't. Building a strong d2 wouldn't be the worst thing, if say, you gave USSF the $1b. Then again, if you're giving the $1b to MLS, it doesn't make any sense for those 19 clubs to use that money for their competition

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was how it came across to me, thus the suckage. I'm also not sure that giving the USSF the 1B$ is the right answer for D2 either though.

We agree 1000% though, that building a strong D2 is absolutely a good idea.

11. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me the suggestion of spending a billion dollars to develop a D2 is more an answer to improve soccer in the US not MLS. I mean the fact that you are spending all the money outside of the current MLS team suggests that it is a overall development project not something to directly improve MLS.

If you wanted to improve soccer in the US while also helping MLS a smarter suggestion would be to break up the 1B to each team (52.6M each) and force them each to create extensive free academies and affiliated minor league teams. Basically a combination of international soccer youth academies and minor league baseball. Something that could develop players throughout the system, but also be totally owned and controlled by MLS.

Inca Roads and Achowat repped this.
  12. Akhan786

Akhan786 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Ugh this thread topic just makes me depressed. Because I get all excited and then I realize we actually don't have 1B dollars...

13. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never know. Maybe son or daughter of a billionaire might be reading this post and could ask Daddy for an expensive gift :)

Skippysasquirrel repped this.