Eddie Johnson?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by CommodoreSlacksburn, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me, your posts are not always easy to read either.

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe your right. However, some of us have plenty. Might be there is a Mod in this forum that got the opportunity to play in Germany until he was 30. ;)

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just not worth it, his greatness exists only in his mind.

4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Johnson_(American_soccer)

I think we all agree his club form can be mixed but so far as greatness it is not all "only in his mind" particularly in the International section. Everyone that feels we would have been worse off last year with him instead of Buddle (for discussion sake at the same exact salary) please raise your hand.
    As for locker room cancer, the relationship he and O.P. apparently have we can (as long as it is all just conjecture) assume would manage that? Also was Buddle a shining example of professionalism at least at the start of the season, injuries happen but afterwards a lack of basic fitness is not an injury.

5. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I think the issue is that he's going to want to be paid. I don't see it happening here.

6. Ihaveabeard

Ihaveabeard Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Norwich City FC
    after him telling us to shut the ******** up after the shoulda brought dempsey chant's make me not like or want this guy ever on our team. i'd take two buddles before i took ej

7. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching MLS Cup on Saturday, I was wondering about the possibility of getting Teal Bunbury. SKC has too much depth to hold on to everybody, especially with fitting whichever guys are due new contracts under the salary cap, and it seems like Sapong and Dwyer are the guys. Bunbury is a year removed from ACL surgery, so year 2 is when you'd expect him to really be back, and he's only 23.

I saw that Seattle picked up Stefan Frei for goalie, but Jimmy Nielsen just retired.

8. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever color the pot & kettle are, perhaps, my posts may be above your reading comprehension level!

9. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to make it personal, but you have to notice his response was full of "overspeak" as I like to call it, which is sort of your thing. That should be about as obvious as your overuse of apostrophes!!!!

10. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please. You made it personal and now cringe at any retort.

I'm thru you get last word. Make it worthwhile!

jdub3379 repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    He made $208,000 in 2013, and presumably his salary isn't going down. That seems like an expensive flyer, esp. with Buddle and Mwanga around.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Trade Buddle for Bunbury, at the above mentioned salary, in a heartbeat. Based on last year Buddle next year is also a "flyer" and if I'm not mistaken an older one than Teal. The problem is it would require a 3rd party to take Buddle and give Sporting something they want, a straight up Bud. for Bun. wouldn't help their backlog of under-used (under-performing?)* forwards.

*If I'm not mistaken the bulk of their playoff and Cup goals came from an a-hole defender.

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    We don't need Eddie. Torres is by far the better player for us and Eddie would only bring division in the locker room.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweets from Bianchi tonight make it sound like the Rapids are out of the running for EJ due to salary cap issues. Apparently the Rapids are really hard against the cap (thus Thomas being re-negotiated).

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Hmm. Where's that spreadsheet Quinn saved online? It's the 2013 salaries (I think), but I'd be curious to look at it.

16. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here.

I took the liberty of removing the players that we for sure won't be seeing next year (Castrillon, Ceus, etc.)

Stuart95, jayd8888 and Totoro repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks, I couldn't remember which thread the link was posted in. I guess they do have some salaries. If they're that close to the cap, it seems even more surprising Buddle is still around. It makes me wonder about Pickens and maybe Wynne and the rest of this offseason.

18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know we lost the additional allocation that all non-playoff teams receive so that is part of it.

DC United is loaded with allocation $ and probably who will get EJ, saw rumor that they have over $500K in allocation for both not making play-offs, bottom 4 team and getting into CCL as US Open Champs.

22SteveD repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard rumors before the end of the season that Wynne was going to be moved this off-season, so I wouldn't be shocked.

20. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised to hear this rumor. His salary probably no longer justifies a player whose sole asset is speed and is getting older. I would prefer Sean Franklin or James Riley at RB. both of which are available via re-entry draft.

21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always a fan of Colorado natives like Riley

22. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Judging by his size, we have already the equivalent of two Buddles...

JasonMa repped this.
  23. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    So the rumor is Seattle is receiving a "large amount" of allocation money. What's "a large amount"? No idea...one poster mentioned $650,000 in the N&A thread, which seems crazily high. What's worse, is supposedly the league kicked in some of it so Seattle would not sell EJ, say to a Mexican team and EJ could instead stay in the league (for that World Cup tie-in).

I just love the idea of the league helping Seattle again.

25. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At this time, MLS helping any of its teams is a good thing!

Charity begins at home. Kroenke is our benefactor. Unless he becomes concerned & involved with the Rapids we will always be the red-headed step child of MLS!