Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Re: Eddie Johnson to MLS

I think when MLS signs young players, draftees, they make them sign with options.

As a returning UMNT player there may be some kind of rule if you pick him up, where you retain his rights. Yeah, that's very probable.

2. leparisieng

leparisieng Member

May 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    France

What an idiot, didn't he understand all these years that he has no future in Europe ?

3. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You beat me to it. I always referred to EJ's first touch as his Barn Door Touch. He has the worst first touch I have ever seen in first division soccer. He never traps the ball within 10 yards of his body.

If Klinsmann gives EJ even one call up then all the happiness I had when Klinsmanns signed will be completely gone. Surely a coach with his knowledge would never call up a player that is that low quality.

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

5. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Strange but in the end Aris is where he had his best stint... So I don't know. EJ to me is a has been so I could careless where he plays.

6. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

Johnson send resume to Dairy Queen

7. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

Looks like Motzkin responded on Twitter shortly after the article came out. Imo, MLS compounded its mistake by finger-pointing after its premature announcement.

"Re Eddie Johnson, we were in the final stages of negotiation with MLS but had never 'reached agreement, subject to formal documents'."

http://twitter.com/#!/RichardMotzkin/status/103885981559697408

9. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The most interesting thing is that MLS usually is VERY circumspect with regard to player signings and announcements. Although one should "never suspect malice when stupidity will do", maybe this was a shrewd negotiating ploy on MLS' part to test interest in EJ's return from the soccer public.

Ej and Richard - there's no salary cap in the NASL.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I wouldn't doubt this. As I said before, MLS has gotten more sophisticated in signing players.

They have learned that guys like EJ aren't all that marketable, and what they add to a team is not absolute. The, "let's sign US guys no matter what days are over."

They have to be the right price and there has to be enough interest.

I think it's a safe bet to say that there aren't many suitors for EJ. If there are...good for him. Take the best job, but it's not like he has any juice or leverage outside of maybe 2 BS posters at this point.

He's gonna have to earn it. I wish him well, but it's not exactly hard to turn him away either. Is it?

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

Unfortunately this may be the key factor in all of this.

12. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx

I say good for the MLS. Guys like EJ have to earn it, especially after their rough past. I'm surprised Benny got such a big contract, but atleast he's a Nats regular when healthy. I don't think EJ has the game changing ability right now than say a movtivated but aging Jeff Cunningham.

13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

Not a chance. You can test interest by floating a rumor, but what MLS did was different. They actually announced that a player was on his way before the deal was completed, which is unprofessional. They then compounded their bad behavior by attacking the other side in the negotiations and probably by leaking additional information to Steven Goff.

Plain as day, MLS screwed the pooch on this deal.

14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I think they were backed in a corner by the JPA/Keane deal. Chivas was likely one of the teams with cap room that could sign an EJ or take on JPA's salary. If more teams were in a position to take EJ and wanted him, it would have remained quiet until finished. However, since the list was VERY short - MLS had to move it along quickly so a resolution could occur with the JPA deal before Keane showed up. Every indication (removed story, no announcement, comment by Chivas that a decision would be made Thursday) is that Chivas was considering either JPA or EJ once the announcement came out.

I agree not the best of media handling; but it is what it is.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

For all the speculation this sums it up.

16. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

Montreal should sign him before they have to play by the player acquisition rules.

17. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

They would still have him count against the cap next year which is all they care about. And here is the kicker, do they even want him? You would think they could find better forwards than Eddie Johnson. It seems the problem is that there was almost no interest among MLS clubs in Eddie Johnson. There is very little he brings to the table at this point. MLS has improved a lot more than we think.

That said, the way MLS allocates Nats(Johnson shouldn't even qualify here) has to be readdressed.

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How'd that work out for Vancouver with Cody Arnoux?

Hint: Arnoux is now with RSL.

19. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Do you disagree with the allocation system in general or do you just think that it needs to be tweaked?

Arnoux was already offered a contract by MLS. This would be more like Vancouver's signing of Demerit.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which they had to use an allocation spot for.

21. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

I may be wrong but aren't expansion teams at the top of the allocation order anyway?

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. :) So the point of Montreal overpaying EJ to get him in their D2 team is...

23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

Oh well that's true, it's a moot point.

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

Not saying Montreal should overpay, but the top allocation spot is a valuable asset. If they can sign a player without giving it up, they should.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They would have to use the spot on EJ either way. Signing EJ now would just mean they would have to burn the allocation spot on him after the D2 season is over...