Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Eddie Johnson to MLS

If it is agent advice, it's pretty dumb advice to put it on a twitter message. Negotiating for a higher salary is good and normal. Saying so publicly can backfire and I think it will backfire here. Granted, BigSoccer is a limited database, but there are no howls demanding Eddie get paid more. For me, he isn't even worth that much.

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

Dare I ask, who said what on twitter?

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Trying to use "leverage" when you really don't have any isn't a great "ploy".

Unless there is some demand, and if there isn't any, as Goff hinted then you are out of luck.

I can't see how MLS pays much more for him than what was tweeted.

If he can get it elsewhere good luck to him.

4. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bit of a sad story. Wasn't he making DP-level money when he left MLS?

I guess he'll have a lot of time to think about it jogging around pitches looking lost.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Yup, MLS thought they had a big time player and payed him big money.

He went on that streak and FFC bought him.

One of the best pieces of business the league has ever done. You can talk about league busts all you want, but the EJ deal was a monstrous win for them.

6. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Couldn't agree more. He had a good breakout year in 04 with 12 goals, then didn't do much, got traded, didn't do much, then had 15 goals in 07. They sold a guy who had played essentially 7 seasons and had two double digit goal years for a tidy profit based on hope/potential.

7. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least Adu has the common sense to come back to MLS which clearly Johnson does not. I hope you stay off the Nats. Chump

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I remember correctly he was about the 2nd highest paid player in MLS when he left and he was making like 850k. He was going to be one of the grandfathered DP players.

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I think the USMT streak helped also, but yeah, all potential.

I'll keep repeating it. When EJ trailed at Reading. My first posts. Corporate involvement ;) got me th elowdown.

Why do I want a forward who can't dribble, pass or shoot?

Was he wrong? Many got offended by those evaluations. Among those fanboy power hungry mods. Didn't change reality. Never does. He is what he is, and he isn't a slam dunk in MLS by any means.

I know it's gotta be hard for US players to see what average players get paid overseas to what they do hear. It is what it is. Different worlds. It's not enough to be a former star/USMT player anymore. Thank goodness. DMB knew better. More power to him.

If EJ has suitors that will pay him more he should do it. Gotta make as much as you can while you can, but he shouldn't expect it because he is a Yanl coming home with the record he has at this point.

MLS is more competitive now. It's not like it used to be. GM's can actually get fired now and coaches can actually be held responsible!!!!!!!!:D Shocking.
    Not like the old days.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Yeah, but Freddy was worth a decent amount of money to MLS and some teams. EJ isn't valued the same way.

Hey, if he can get more somewhere else I understand, but MLS should not overpay for him, and EJ doesn't have to accept what they offer. Get more if he can.

We will see how it plays out.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Man...........I wish we knew which team was offering him that negotiated deal.

Hopefully we find out soon.

An average of ~200k over 3 years is around what I was expecting, and he got that offer.

If he can get somebody in Europe to offer more than that.............good luck to him.

12. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/17/eddie-johnson-mls-deal-falls-through

It does not sound like EJ will come to MLS any time soon.

NEW YORK -- On Tuesday, it appeared that former US international Eddie Johnson was on his way back to MLS; however, the league has revealed that the deal has fallen through.

“We had reached agreement, subject to formal documents,” MLS Executive Vice President of Competition and Player Relations Todd Durbin told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday. “It’s unfortunate the player did not want to conclude a formal agreement, but we wish him well in his future endeavors.”

13. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam

According to Ives:

14. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

This mother ********er is stupid!!!! When last time Johnson scored a goal!!!

300k a season is too much for Johnson, after so many failures in Britian, can't keep personal life being a joke, & Johnson been sucking with USNT!!!

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like both halves of Ives's comment. Too bad Fucito isn't defended as softly in MLS games as he is in CCL games.

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't you have to be on the USNT to suck with it ?

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

There's something darkly funny about Durbin announcing a deal that hadn't been completed and then running to Greg Lalas to write a webpost blaming the other side ... two kings of competence.

18. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

It's stupid if he can't sign anywhere else for more money.

Let's face it, many D2 Euro leagues can pay more, but will any of them think EJ is good enough.

I'd need to see him on trial.

19. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He got caught cheating on his wife so he's probably about to get divorced... divorces are insanely expensive and he has a kid too so that's 18 years of child support. He is probably desperate for cash.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe he will go to Puebla FC and join Beasley ;)

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

The only problem is DMB is respected in Mexico.

EJ....not so much.

I can see him doing OK there, but I doubt someone pays him all that much down there either.

Will be interesting to see what happens with this story.

Lessons?

1. Don't cheat on your wife ( I know some wise ass will say just don't get caught, but what a risk anyway)

2. I hope folks save their money when they have a big payday...never assume it lasts

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/8_31_07_salary_info_club.pdf

875k. Second highest US player, only 25k behind LD.

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005

After a spell in Turkey's second division and a brief national team run, Freddy Adu was able to recover a lot of his value. Not long ago, DMB was close to signing in Mexico's second division, and now he's suddenly back in the national team picture, as well.

The lesson is that with a little success, Johnson could be worth a lot more money. Even if he can't command it right now, he's better off taking a short-term deal somewhere that he's upwardly mobile.

Of course, this is no reason to allow his bridges with MLS to burn. It'll be interesting to see whether Motzkin responds to the accusations on mlssoccer.

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I agree with everything you said but I don't see EJ in the same boat as DMB or Freddy. Freddy is still young and showed flashes recently for club and country.
    DMB, while not playing much for Rangers, still has a decent rep to fall back on.

EJ? Not so much. I guess why this interests me so. Can't wait to see what happens.

Personally, I don't think EJ is good enough for the USMNT. I can see DMB with a role and Freddy. I just think it's bridge to far for EJ, even with or dearth up top. Hell, I just never saw much ability to be frank. Scary that with any kind of form, anywhere, he could still be called in.:(

Please, somebody, any body step up so this doesn't happen.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it still a rule that players must sign 3 year deals with MLS?

or was that just something I remember reading in BS and is just bs?