Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Eddie Johnson to MLS

Yes, I'm assuming EJ would make DP type money. In season DP's only count 167k vs. the cap. Now, a team with allocation $$ could buy the number down under DP level, for certain. Or they could pro-rate this year's contract to under DP level.

But for next year (like Adu, I suspect given the rule change) I'd think he'd be at DP level. Maybe not, as you say. But if so, and TFC don't have the allocation cash, then they have a problem.

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes

3. Samuelson

Samuelson Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC

Wouldn't that require us knowing a. how much MH would cost, b. how much cap room Seattle has and c. how much allocation money Seattle has?

We might have a ballpark on a. and have a general sense of b., but I don't think we have any idea what 'c.' is.

What are you using to infer this?

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

C. Comments by Hannauer, primarily. Of course, he could be blowing smoke up everyone's ass, but he has said multiple times that the Sounders have already used up their allocation money and that they've had several trades fall through because the other team wanted allocation money that the Sounders simply did not have.

5. Samuelson

Samuelson Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC

But I don't understand how Hanauer could even be going after a guy like Prince Tagoe without the funds requisite for a MH move.

6. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah yes, I remember it well....

EJ scored a lot of goals that season by breaking an offside trap. EJ also squandered a lot of broken offside traps by finishing a breakaway situation with a weak shot directly at the keeper.

If he's learned to finish even a little bit in Europe, he'll make a team better. Otherwise, he's an average MLS forward with a bit more speed.

7. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chicago is paying Pardo less than 100k. Pretty sure they can afford any single salary cap hit at this point.

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Half year DP is less of a hit than a player making $250k-$300k.

9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I am glad there are others who know that. :) It is one of those small issues with the cap math. A $1 million DP signed in the middle of the year counts 167k. A 300k guy counts . . . 300k.

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, a 300k guy counts 150k for the first half of the season and 150k for the second half....so you would save 17k of cap space by signing a 300k player for the second half of the season instead of a DP.

11. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

No. That only works when you get rid of a player. A player counts toward the cap equal to their annual salary at any give time. The only exception to that rule is the DP. The only way to get cap relief is to release a player in an approved manner (trade, non guaranteed contract, etc), then you only pay for what they earned while under contract. A 300k guy signed in July hits your cap for 300k because they look at salary budget at any given time . . on August 15 are you at 2.65million in annual salary . . on Sept 1 are you at 2.65million in annual salary, etc etc.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This.

When Ruiz was sold to Veracruz, his the hit his salary took on the Union's budget was prorated.

13. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you saying if you sign a guy mid-season, that you have to pay him a full salary for that year and can't prorate the contract? I'm assuming if you sign a guy mid-way through the year, who is going to make $300k for a full year, that the contract is set up to only pay him $150k for half a season.

If MLS teams can't make half-year contracts, then I agree it is very screwy.

14. Samuelson

Samuelson Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC

Sure, but there's your assumption again about what MH will make. What makes Tagoe affordable but MH not? Seattle could DP Hahnemann and he would cost less than your supposed number.

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

No, but the cap math and the salary are independent. You can certainly pay him a prorated salary. However, it is his annual contract number that counts against the cap.

MLS cannot retroactively go back and see if you only spent 2.65 million as it would be too late if you went over. They have to manage it throughout the season so they look at any specific point in time and your annualized salary cannot be more than the cap (after all the exceptions). I don't like it but there are reasons for doing it that way. There are also ways around it as well which teams use (like Houston with Koke). Where it is really restrictive is when a transfer fee turns a guy into a 300k a year player. There is little option to finagle that within the cap math structure.

*edit - the above is a general explanation. It is actually even a bit more complicated than just taking the annual salary but this gets you close enough.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Does Chivas USA go for the hat trick?

17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are still working on the JPA press release to be bothered with EJ. :D

18. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Strange the EJ article on MLS' website has been taken down

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you have a reason to expect Hahnemann to be making less than Keller is now?

20. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

Why in the would wound seattle waste a DP spot on a keeper?

21. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not saying that Eddie Johnson will do well but all the dismissive comments I read about his abilities reminds me of the things people used to say about Edson Buddle before he found the right situation in LA. People can, and sometimes do, pull it together with new opportunities. If he fell to Seattle, they'd have to take a chance on him in my opinion.

22. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Buddle's problems were not a lack of technique.
    EJ's problems center around the fact that when he started at FC Dallas he literally looked like he wasn't actually a member of the team during warm ups and especially half time. I remember sitting out there watching him warm up before a game against San Jose where he twice tripped over the ball and you couldn't tell if he was trying to make one touch passes or trap the ball, but either way it was atrocious. He has improved tremendously since then, but I'm pretty sure you could have found a few NFL/NBA players that would have had as good of technique and better athleticism at that stage.

23. Sounder

Sounder Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because its working out so well for NYRB of course!:D

24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

of course if NYRB actually took their time they wouldn't need to waste a DP spot.

25. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Skipped to the end BUT I would bet the Galaxy are paying the lion share of Angels salary. EJ could still fit if CUSA wants to spend the money, they haven't in the past,w e will see