Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. Our NT could really do with someone that can score goals right about now. We've got the service part rolling out of our ass, but having someone that can position himself in front of goal and knock the ball in the net? Lacking.

Now, don't take that to mean I think EJ should be A-squad. Just making a snarky comment. ;)

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to follow up a bad post with something even worse. FoxNews quality analysis.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    At least he didn't say the other players have gotten really good at passing off of his head into the goal. (That's what my teammates say when I score....)

looknohands and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  4. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  5. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Yeah, all I remember from that last game v Chivas USA was EJ dribbling the ball out of bounds. It was completely shocking. Someone told me he ended up doing something that ultimately helped the Sounders somehow, but all I can remember is him dribbling the ball out of bounds over and over and over again.

Bolivianfuego and Cactus Hibs repped this.
  6. SeaFan77

SeaFan77 Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Federal Way, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ]

4th in the league in scoring? thats not good enough? this guy's impact is felt each game, even if he occasionaly does the un-necessary stepovers

7. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vintage OG20. Hyperbolic, insulting, mean-spirited, and completely wrong.

Jasonma repped this.
  8. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has OG *ever* admitted he was wrong? Or even toned down the snark?

That toaster's scored a lot of goals against decent opposition this season. Just sayin'.

9. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocking! So you still think Sounders fans should be "clamouring" for Fucito and Neagle?

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your sarcasm detector is broken. ;) I can recommend a few repair shops if you are interested.

(Seriously, I should just buy a new one. Mine is constantly in the shop.)

Justin O repped this.
  11. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every week I watch all the Sounders goal highlights, just shaking my head at that lousy dribbling...

12. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    EJ is a great athelete and below average soccer player with the ball at his feet. But he has learned to better ( not necessarily best) runs, and can indeed head the ball. If Klinsmann wanted a speed forward to come of the bench and keep defenses honest/ hold a lead, then maybe EJ could see a return to the USMNT. But it would be for that role only and I'm not sure Klinsmann favors "niche" guys, though that is debatable. Show me EJ with another 15 goals this time next year anf maybe we can talk about it.

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    EJ below average with the ball at his feet? you are joking right?

He holds the ball up just fine and rarely have I seen it taken from him. The only time he loses it is when he takes defenders on 1v2 or when he takes a defender on while near the sideline and he runs out of space. And he doesn't even take defenders on all the time. He will frequently choose to play it safe and pass back so he can get in position in the box.

If he has the ball in the box he has proven he can create space for himself and score. See his goal against Portland this year and other goals he has scored throughout his career.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I have nothing against EJ getting a look with the national team.

Right now our forward off he bench seems to be one of the leading scorers in the Dutch Eredevisie, though.

We all know the plusses and minuses in EJ's game. He has the ability to be a top-end MLS forward. We've seen it before from him. And let's not forget that he was more than serviceable against some CONCACAF level competition for the USMNT. But I think we all know that's the ceiling..............and that's fine.

We all knew that if Eddie reverted to the Eddie of ~2007, tha Seattle was going to get the better end of this particular deal. We all just questioned whether that was going to be the case.....................

15. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just throwing this out there...:D

16. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says Vancouver on the scoreboard.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

IIRC, my thinking was more along the lines that the Sounders could have gotten EJ with a cheaper deal.