Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on fire...:whistling:

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His dribbling is much, much better than I remember it from his last MLS stint. I can see why he struggled in England, a league not friendly to dribblers. And he did fairly well in Greece.

Anyway, the way he's playing now, he's GOT to be a candidate for the Nats. But given his previous history of playing really well one season and the sucking for a couple, if I were Klinsy, I would make him prove it next year.

EJ in 2013 will be one of the more interesting individual stories in MLS. If he keeps it up next year, they could be a great team. I hope they get a shot at representing MLS in CONCACAF.

3. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would you rate him currently, though? Klinsy's definitely high on Altidore, Boyd and Gomez, as well as Wondo...and if you have Dempsey or Donovan taking a forward role, that can only push EJ further down the line. That said, I do agree that if he can sustain his current level throughout the rest of the season, he would likely get called in for a friendly without many of the Euro-based players.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, I don't rate him that highly. But if it's next June, say, and he's still playing like this, I would rate him #2 behind Altidore (assuming Landon and Dempsey are midfielders.) The guy is playing at an incredibly high level right now. But he's more or less done this before. For a while.

5. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    + He's contributing to build-up play more than just laying it off(or as most of us call it "back-passing" :p) & He actually plays some really really good cross field passes & one time balls. I can't help but think he would even be more successful in Liga MX had that move not fallen trough w/ Puebla but things happen for a reason I guess.

6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I always stuck up for Eddie when people were dogging him when he wase about to come back to MLS. He really showed me the kind of player he could be when at Aris. He has a good soccer brain, but at times can be timid to push more agressively, or to slot dangerous through passes to partners in front of him. He's getting that confidence in MLS though, and I am happy for him.

I really wish he'd gone to mexico though, he'd been awesome at Puebla.

7. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    The numbers are great......

How has he looked while doing it?

8. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks *fast* this year. His header goal against LA happened because he was so far behind the defenders when the cross-pass started that he wasn't even on their radar. Then, boom, a burst of speed and he beat both of them to the ball.

9. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, he might have just been incredibly lazy in following the play, too.;)

10. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it sure looked impressive on th'teevee!

11. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    getting Lazy on the corner flag

[​IMG]

FuzzyForeigner repped this.
  12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    +2 goals today, both off of headers.

13. jr89436

jr89436 Member

Jun 24, 2011
    It probably helps that he is on the pitch with a couple legitimately world-class assist artists in Rosales and Tiffert. Forwards do not get service like that on many other MLS teams. Still, Seattle has a handful with the Montero/Johnson pairing. They aren't poachers; they win legitimate goals going straight through good defenses.

That said, it proves (once again) that Seattle's FO are possibly the most competent in the league, certainly when it comes to finding diamonds in the rough. They snapped up Johnson for peanuts when the conventional wisdom was that he was washed up. Well played.

14. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    EJ made that first goal single-handedly by being athletic and leaping over and in front of 2 defenders.

And scoring goals is only 20% of EJ's game... mostly it is hold-up play in the center third... the raw speed, strength, aerial supremacy, and finishing is a small fraction. 13 goals, maybe, but that's a tiny part of his overall game.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He still holds onto the ball at his feet too long and often takes (many) extra dribbles than necessary. But I do agree his overall game has improved.

16. Cactus Hibs

Cactus Hibs Member

May 11, 2006
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Top single-season Sounders scorer ever...

17. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think EJ should be the #9 in the January Camp. Let's see what he can do with Shea, Zusi, and Pontius providing service. If he does well, then we can think about including him in full rosters.

18. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where you get this awesome pic? amazing that that is from a MLS game in my lifetime....

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer this one:
    [​IMG]

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. the crowd seems pretty disinterested in it.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was the road team scoring. Better action shot of the player though (IMO). ;)

22. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What really makes this pic is Knave in the background tipping his hat in disappointment.

Jasonma repped this.
  23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait.. I thought Knave was the kid with the hat pulled so far over his head that he's hiding his identity from the shame of being a Chivas fan...

24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It would have been a better picture if you could see his flask.

25. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    EJ linked to it on his twitter feed a few weeks back. Yeah..That crowd shot must make some MLS fans envious. It's from the last LA home game i believe