Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Are you sure that happened? I haven't heard confirmation, and from what it sounds like the announcer backed off saying he punched the guy and later said pushed.

Plus I doubt EJ went to the quakes bench, rather quakes players from the bench came onto the field.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handbags are handbags. The whys and what fors are immaterial.

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Quakes forum someone who was at the game said EJ punched San Jose assistant coach Ian Russell.

4. Ratbear

Ratbear Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Whelp, I guess It'll be a big red question mark forever. Good luck to EJ at the weekend

5. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    What did Ian Russell say to fire EJ up so much?

6. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Was it a bad enough push/shove/smack/punch that he got red-carded? At a minimum, the 4th official would see it and it'll end up on the sheet. There were a lot of aggressive acts though on both sides.

7. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what the officials saw and you can't assume the 4th official was looking that direction. Just speculating here, but, I am guessing that Russell had something to say to EJ about the incident involving Lenhart in the box, where it looked like he took a shot to the head.

8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Reports are that it was Jed Zayner according to some guy on Twitter with the handle @quakesbeat
    https://twitter.com/quakesbeat/status/217866955078647808

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    You can see the incident here
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23593591

Try starting around 54:00 in the video. Incident actually happens at around 54:08.

Eddie comes into the bottom corner of the screen and you see the SJ player appear to say something and push Eddie. Eddie pushes back and the SJ player goes down like he got shot.

The video is blurry, but it doesn't look nearly as bad as SJ fans have been claiming.

While Eddie may have been being classless, it appears to me the SJ player initiated the physical contact and then fell down trying to get EJ in trouble.

I doubt anything comes of this.

10. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  11. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh my god.... just a total acting job. There's nothing there. A mild shove?... You can tell by the face-down arm-flinging at the ground by the recipient... I cannot believe that this is even a thing. But it's on video, check for yourselves.

Right at the 54:09 mark (bottom left). Just what you'd expect from Lenhart and friends:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23593591

12. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched it once without the sound, then watched it with the sound. The announcers made it seem like a punch, but it looks like a shove. It's hard to tell with such grainy blobs.

13. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Wow, it's really sad that was Zayner. He had a promising career at Columbus... but was a reserve when he could have been 1st string somewhere... Now he's flopping around in USOC matches for San Jose.

That's a sad turn of career.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one could say the same for Eddie "grown ass i havent rly grown up" Johnson. Next "big, superstar striker" failed with US national team then came back to MLS.

Zayner was cut from DC because of injury problems.

The point here isn't the flop by Zayner, both player's are at fault. EJ took the bait, if there was any, and then retaliated, that is not needed nor "classy"

tl;dr take off the homer glasses. Sounders fans living in their delusional world.

Zayner was milking it but EJ was classless.

15. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    If EJ is classless then what was Zayner for taking things to the next step and pushing EJ?

Looks like Zayner was lieing in the post game quotes as well. You can see the video. You can see Zayner walk up, say something, and push EJ. Yet you are calling EJ classless and giving Zayner a pass?

What about the quote from Sigi saying the SJ coaches were confronting Sounders players before the melee?

Just maybe the SJ bench weren't being angels. Which doesn't surprise me considering one of their players had just got sent off for head butting a Sounders player in the back of the head.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure really. It wasn't clear on the web feed but that was what the announcer said.

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Well, you can watch the video for yourself.

Didn't happen the way a lot of people were making it sound early on. Including the Announcer. Who didn't really have a clue.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that a San Jose announcer would be a massive homer? This shocks me. They are known for their neutral, metered, and knowledgable commentary... :D

ElJefe, juniorLA and profiled repped this.
  19. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game. I didn't see the original altercation but knew that EJ had done something, if not initiated it, because he was walking to the other side of the pitch and Hurtado had his arm around him in the universal sign of: "Calm down and just walk away before everyone kills you." I can confirm that whoever was hit was a Quakes reserve player (meaning Zayner). Additionally, I'm quite sure that Jason Hernandez took a swing at somebody (Johnson?) which (fortunately) didn't connect.

What a shame. That game really boiled over. I could blame Seattle's theatrics (which were rife), but the ref is really responsible for letting the game get completely out of hand. It was one of the worst officiated matches I've seen in a while.

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Take your blinders off. There is just as much evidence that he threw a punch. And the reaction from the Quakes players and bench was pretty intense for just a "mild shove". And why were Johnson's teammates doing all they could to get him out of there?

21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Well the sound happens to be a man that was there that gets paid to describe the grainy blobs. You guys are trying way too hard to paint it the other way. I have watched the video myself and it looks to me like you guys are willfully trying to flush you own credibility to protect your guy. The blob was described as going to the opposing bench to celebrate.

Oobers repped this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, the poor quality of the video does make it unclear what EJ did in response to Zayner's actions.

The only thing that is obvious from the video is Zayner is lying when he said all he did was walk up to EJ and tell him to go celebrate somewhere else. The video clearly shows Zayner walk up to EJ, shove him, and then drop to the ground like he had been shot. So, given that we know Zayner is lying about the first part, why should we believe him on the second part? Particularly given the fact that rolling around the ground and pounding it in "pain" is the universal sign for "I'm acting".

I take it you've never seen a soccer game before, then? I ask because any time there is any contact between players after a play the first reaction is to swarm the players and get into a round of handbags. Take a look at what happens after Gordon chestbumped/headbutted Burch at 51:16. Most of the guys on the field probably didn't see what happened, but they still swarmed the spot and whipped out the handbags.
    Yet again, have you never seen a soccer game before? While there are people that swarm and try to instigate, there is also people that swarm and are start pulling the instigators apart.

23. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm kinda glad I didn't jump to conclusions about this...and I know there's no percentage in sticking up for Sounders....but man, it sure looked like Zayner took a dive.

Whoever's at fault - Johnson or Zayner - should probably sit out the next Open Cup (i.e., the Luis Hernandez punishment).

24. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I have never been to a soccer game before.:rolleyes: Don't be such a douchebag. There is all sorts of pushing and shoving that goes on at a game, but, "mild shoves" usually don't get the type of reaction that Johnson's action did. Gordon's action got the reaction it did because so many people saw what he did. The intense reaction toward Johnson by the Quakes and Johnson's own teammates points toward Johnson giving more than a shove.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Whatever. We'll have to agree to disagree.