Eddie Johnson (allocation picked by MTL, traded to SEA)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Re: Eddie Johnson to MLS

There ya go, and something so few take into consideration.

2. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, can't argue that :)

3. mattmanp

mattmanp Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A team could trade up for him as well. Would move them to first while freeing up cap space to fit him in.

4. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like how people are still crying about LA having "4" dps. According to JPA in an interview yesterday, he is with Chivas. The team hasn't announced it yet for some weird reason.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Eddie Johnson is American...

6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

Someone earlier in the thread asked if Canadian players have to go through the same process EJ and other Americans abroad do.

Anyway, my money is on Toronto or Chicago to sign him.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

....maybe, certainly not guaranteed. He can, but this is Eddie Johnson.

His last year in MLS, where he was on fire, unlike his previous years, teams played him so naively it was pathetic. It was like an NFL team saying go long every match to a speedy receiver, and the D still played him bump and run without any safety support. It was quite sad and a terrible indictment of MLS coaching, more than EJ's ability IMO.

When coaches finally played him properly his last several matches were less than stellar. I think EJ can help in MLS, but if I am a GM, I better understand what he is and get him for the right price.

Eddie falls into the Benny F category for me. Let's not assume and make him out to be what he isn't. MLS is better organized, coached, is technically better and the players smarter than when EJ was here. I don't doubt he has improved a bit, but so has the league.

Here is a guy supposedly in his prime who was barely an afterthought in Europe. Enough said.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

Well, you are correct that he is not bound by the transfer window (FIFA rule). However MLS freezes the roster for the year on September 15 - to coincide with the end of the transfer window. So based on the reading of the rules (which we know are not complete as published) they could not add him this year anyway - unless he was already signed.

There are five references to the roster freeze date applying at 5pm ET on the 15th of September. http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

9. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think they realize that, they were just asking the hypothetical if...

10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

People also seem to forget that the year EJ was "on fire," 2007, it was with a series of hat-tricks for KC/the USMNT. So his goal scoring number for that year looks attractive, but he was still rather inconsistently "on fire" that year, too.

Not to undermine what he accomplished by any means. But I think the Bigsoccer community just fell a little too head-over-heels for him at the time.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounders can't afford Hahnemann this year. I believe the plan is to trade Montreal, or another team for their allocation spot in the off-season.

Philly and Seattle were both in the running for JPA, with Philly being closest. If Chivas passes on JPA, I'm sure one of them would step up and take him.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

I remember the analysis of those goals also.

Very one dimensional.

13. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam

Yeah, I know that. I was answering the question:

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Transfer window ends on August 15, now September 15. Teams have a month after the summer transfer window closes to run around get deals done with MLS teams.

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

You sir are correct. I am so confused by my new baby coming I forgot what month we were in!

16. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Curiousity question: If Eddie Johnson were somehow passed up until Sporting Kansas City were asked, would they take him back?

17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Yes, the international transfer window is irrelevant BUT he would be a returning USMNT player, which, based on my understanding (which I will be the first to say is extremely weak) of MLS rules, that means he will sign with the league and then go through the allocation order just like Eddie Johnson. Seattle would not be able to simply sign Hahnemann - they'll have to play this, in my mind, complicated game. So, based on my (likely faulty) understanding, were Seattle to take Eddie Johnson in the allocation process, they would go to the bottom of the list making it all that much harder to get Hahnemann.

I have no doubt someone will set me straight (well, at least in this matter) :)

Edit: ok, I ignored the aspect that each year the allocation list is reconfigured based on reverse order of finish the previous year. So, if Seattle were wanting MH, they would likely encourage him to wait to sign with the league toward the end of this season (but not after the season ends), so that their chances on him would be higher - assuming they have moved up the allocation list.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Still.........the fact remains that at the start of the 2007 season Eddie Johnson had 12 goals & 3 assists in the first 11 games. Half of those goals were indeed back-to-back hat-tricks against NE and NY. [When it comes to Eddie Johnson, people will find a way to criticize back-to-back hat tricks.] He only scored 3 goals the rest of the season. Still that was 15 goals that year before he left for the UK.

For the right price, there are a lot of MLS teams that would take a chance of Eddie Johnson. But it's the price that's the issue. If he dropped all the way to FCD in the allocation process (& they do still need help at forward) I'd think it would be worth the risk. But not for a whole lot of money.

I also personally think MLS is a different league now than it was in 2007. In 2008 Kenny Cooper scored 18 goals in 30 games................doesn't mean much today.

19. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's simply useless but as they, he deserves a third chance. Welcome home Eddie.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I can't imagine they would.

I mean, they already have a "marquee" forward in Bravo and an in-his-prime veteran in Kamara PLUS two young, inconsistent speedsters in Sapong and Bunbury AND a potential sleeper in Saad.

The last thing they would seem to need is another forward, particularly one with EJ's attributes. And baggage.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe TFC already has 3 DPs, correct? De Guzman, Frings, and Koevermans?

I only Wiki-ed, so here's what I got:

1) LA = 3. Beckham, Donovan, Keane.
    2) NY = 3. Henry, Marquez, Rost.
    3) TFC = 3. De Guzman, Frings, Koevermans
    -------------------------
    4) SEA = 2. Fernandez, Montero
    5) SKC = 2. Omar Bravo, Jeferson.
    6) FCD = 2. Ferreira, fabian Castillo.
    7) VAN = 2. Hassli, Jarju.
    --------------------
    8) CHV = 1. Angel
    9) DC = 1. Boskovic.
    10) RSL = 1. Saborio.
    11) Crew = 1. Mendoza.
    12) Portland = 1. Chara.
    13) NE = 1. Caraglio.
    ===================
    None: Philly (Adu?), Colorado, Houston, San Jose, Chicago.

22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

At this point, I'm just going to assume that Chivas turns him down.

23. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very doubtful. If there is one thing we do not need it is another forward. I think we would only take him if we were able to use him as trade bait.

24. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

I don't think it's a criticism of the hat-tricks as much as it is a criticism of people who throw out the things like, say, "Eddie Johnson had 12 goals & 3 assists in the first 11 games." On the surface, it sounds unbelievably good, and one's mind wants to say: well hey, that's better than a goal a game. With the nuance of context, and knowing that it was accomplished with hat-tricks, you realize that he isn't a superhuman, he just got on a really hot streak for about a month, and then cooled back down to a more normal rate for a striker.

In any event, it's not a criticism of what he did as much as it is a criticism of people who jump to a over-positive conclusion about his quality about a stellar, but short, run. He was a good MLS forward when he was here, inconsistent, occasionally lacking in workrate, but could get scalding hot.

25. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO

Correct, but I don't know why you assume Johnson would be a designated player. It's possible, but if Freddy Adu's contract can be bought down below a DP level with Philly for this year, and he's 5 years younger than Johnson with a lot more upside, I personally would guess Johnson falls below that line slightly.