Ecuador vs Uruguay 11 de Octubre 2013, 17:00, Eliminatorias.

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by barcelonista1981, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    http://www.elcomercio.com/deportes/futbol/futbol-eliminatorias-Ecuador_0_1005499587.html How long would a team that plays in el llano need to acclimatise to play in altitude? Apparently Uruguay will be arriving in Guayaquil Wednesday and to Quito on Thursday, that seems like a pretty brutal idea , considering they would only get one day to get accustomed to the altitude. You think they're underestimating us or that should be enough time to get accustomed to the altitude? What do you all think?

2. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    the best thing to do when playing in quito is arriving the day of the game. that way the effects don't do as much damage. I think going to Guayaquil first might not be so smart simply because it's a dramatic change and they aren't used to it. either way I don't think the altitude will play a role here because it never does. what we gotta be aware of all game is the counter attacks and pelota parada. Besides that If everything goes well for us I think we will dominate most of the game. The key is to use that to our advantage.

3. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't Argentina do that in 2009 and ended up losing 6-1 in La Paz to Bolivia? I recall they came at least a day before tha game if anything and the effects grabbed them from the nads pretty much. I could be wrong though.

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    3 days left for the game. feeling anxious already.

5. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    ---------------------------------------------Dominguez-------------------------------------------
    Paredez--------------------Checa-----------------------Erazo-------------------Walter----
    --Valencia--------------------Noboa----------------------Mendez -------------------Montero
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------Fidel & Caicedo-------------------------------------------

Subs if needed:
    Sornoza
    Ibarra
    Saritama
    Guagua

6. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Me too man, I'm feeling pretty nauseus just thinking that we might lose. Even more at the fact that if we lose let's say 2-0 in Quito and lose 3-0 in Santiago(Chile's on a hot streak) we could be eliminated and Venezuela could take our spot if they beat Paraguay. One thing's for sure though a team's hot streak doesn't last very long especially in CONMEBOL qualfying, I don't want to jinx anything but lets recall that we had undefeated runs ended at the most unexpected times by very unexpected teams in last qualifiers, so we can't wave the white flag of defeat as of yet. It still doesn't help me to think that Uruguay has a pretty decent track record playing us in Quito. Add insult to injury there counteratatcks are jusr amazing, I saw clips of the 2009 game in Quito and I have to say that had they not had terrible accuracy that day, we easily couldv'e been defeated 3 or 4-1 . Lets just hope our backline and center defenseive mids are strong that day and push away any Uruguayan attacks as much as possible. If anything by the second half, Uruguay might get desgaste and run out of fuel just like Paraguay usually does when they play here. It really scks I have to miss the game, damn midterm exam at the same time the game's playing! I would be disappointed if we don't score in the first half, that will only end up biting us in the ass in the second half ,because the game will only intensify. Well lets just hope for the best, I don't get how Chilean and Colombian fans were so optimistic even when their teams weren't playing the best soccer in 2002 and 2006, I don't know wat it is but we Ecuadorians need that optimism and have to stop being so pessimistic before the game even starts.

7. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Yeah....it's the only thing on my mind. The circumstances could not be more dramatic. Even though this match has always been the decisive one over the last 4 World Cup cycles, it's never been the case that the team who wins qualifies, and the one who loses goes to the playoff.

8. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can you elaborate on a situation? I don't really understand.

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The line up Rueda put up today seems like the one that we'll see on Friday. no surprises....and of course Fidel didn't break into the starting 11. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I have a feeling that if Fidel doesn't start we'll be seeing Jaime play with Caicedo. This time Jaime seems like he'll be playing up front and not as a freakin center mid. We'll see how this goes.

http://www.ecuagol.com/ecuagol/index.php?n=42389

Dominguez; Paredes, Guagua, Erazo, W.Ayovi; Valencia, Noboa, Castillo, Montero; Yoya, Caicedo

Ideally i'd put Fidel or Sornoza with Caicedo. I know Uruguay is going to cover Valencia and Montero and it will be an extremely tough task to get through the middle if we have Yoya and Caicedo up front. I wish Sornoza weren't so inexperienced b/c he's the guy for this game. But the pressures of this game might be too much for him. So it's fidel or yoya IMO....i like Yoya but hopefully Fidel starts, i think he'll cause lots of danger and distract the defenders away from Montero and Valencia.

10. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    according to futbolecuador it seems like Ener is actually satisfying Rueda more than Jaime. Almost forgot about Ener.

11. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How did Enner play against Bolivia? I saw him against COlombia and he wasn't all too amazing imo. Dammit why can't Fidel play , Rueda these are the type of decisions that ******** us up man!

12. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Rueda is betting on home field advantage (la altura de Quito) with that line up... He has to fill Chucho's spot with someone who can penetrate. If not the best we'll do is tie. hopefully...

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Please not J Ayovi. please.

14. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Just curious I know Montero suffered that nasty looking ankle injury I don't know how severe it was. Is he good to go or what?

15. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I don't know why but Rueda loves Enner. A guy who's never done anything outside of Ecuador or at the international level. He must be doing great in practice.

16. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think he is fine now. I believe he had an assist last weekend.

17. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Montero should be fine. It could affect his performance (he might not be at 100%) but I think he'll still play. At least most of the game. Let's hope he'll still have an important and noticeable impact in the game.

18. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm not liking the idea of Ener with Felipe. I just get that feeling that it will produce just about the same as the Joao- Felipe combo. It just doesn't work b/c Ener and Joao are wingers by nature. Not that Ener has done bad when he's played, but his role vs. Colombia is going to be completely different from the one he will take in Quito vs. Uruguay. In Quito, there is no False 9 we will be playing with. The #9 will be Caicedo and whoever accompanies him will be the player who has to generate the plays. There are no surprises in the 4-4-2 we will play. Crossing my fingers Ener can be effective in this line up.

Fidel please step it up in practice you need to start!!!!!

Luigi408 repped this.
  19. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I don't care about practice, we all have eyes and have watched these players many, many times. We know how they perform. Rueda is the only one without a damn TV.

Rueda has some freaking balls if he starts with Enner. He will OWN that decision, and hey, if it works then I'll be the first to buy the official Rueda and Enner 2014 World Cup jerseys. If it doesn't, I'm flying down to Quito to join every Ecuadorian in tying Rueda to wild horses to be dragged back to Colombia.

20. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    api_2013-_10_-_09_-_foto_oficial_1_0.jpg[​IMG]
    top row: 3 Erazo 16 A. Valencia 2 Guagua 14 Castillo 17 Yoya 22 Dominguez 12 Bone 1 Banguera 15 Checa
    8 Caicedo 6 Noboa 9 Montero bottom row: 5 Ibarra 7 Rojas 20 Mendez 22 Sornoza 23 Enner 4 Paredes
    12 Fidel 19 Saritama 10 W Ayovi 18 Bagui 13 G Corozo 21 A Bolanos

21. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    According to some sites Yoya is joining Felipao up top,
    http://www.ecuagol.com/ecuagol/index.php?n=42389
    If thats the case, I am worried, I have never been the biggest fan of Yoya, I liked him with Benitez cus Benitez would play behind him and feed him, as soon as Caicedo came in hes like a Yoya but better in every way, both tall, strong, slow and below average header but good finishers and great sense of placement on the zone

22. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    it seems like Fidel won't start from what I hear from ecuadorian commentators. The competition is between Ener and Yoya and that's the only doubt up front. Everything else is settled at this point so I guess we gotta analyze this from what is really going to happen and not what should happen.

We choose Yoya:
    The Good- We gain 2 people in the box, but we are going to depend heavily on wing play. Since we are playing in Quito this could work to our advantage but only if Uruguay does a bad job at stopping Valencia and Montero. Otherwise, this plan could fail drastically. If we are dominating with ball possession and Montero and Valencia are getting through the wings, then we'll have two people in the box with good physical presence. Especially Yoya who is better at finishing crosses than Felipe IMO. If Yoya finds spaces he'll net one. And this is assuming we are attacking heavily through the wings uncontrollably.

The Bad- we already know the consequences of ONLY depending on Montero and Valencia to generate an attack. It's obvious and every team knows this by now. The main thing Uruguay will do on Friday if they are the least bit smart is block the wings to cancel out any attack that Montero or Valencia have planned. If they do that successfully than it's problem solved for them....UNLESS, and only if Rueda places someone up front that can break through the middle and cause a distraction, as well as link with Felipe to not leave him completely alone and ghost up front. IMO only Sornoza and possibly Fidel can do that and both of them don't seem to be in the picture to start on Friday. And that leaves the last real option- Ener Valencia.

We choose Ener:
    The Good- we kind of gain another player up front that throws himself on the wings. This could possibly help Valencia, Montero, Ayovi, and Paredes when they are trying to get through the wing if we add one more player on the side for Uruguay to cover. But on that point, the pressure will remain only on Felipe to net in a cross and honestly he's not the best at finishing those types of plays. On the counter, Ener can be really dangerous. Especially when he has space he becomes really difficult to stop.

The Bad- I think he won't adjust to playing behind Caicedo. I just get that feeling that he's going to have the tendency to do the exact same thing that Joao does- throw himself towards his comfort zone (the wings). And that will make him lose connection with Felipe. I hope I'm wrong and Rueda has spotted something different about Ener compared to Joao, but IMO we are going to see similar behaviors in Ener from what we saw in Joao in the past few games he played up front with Caicedo. Like I said, it's nearly impossible to replace Benitez right now. It's crazy how important he was to the team. He was the key. As much as we bust our brains thinking about who can play a similar role or at least a role that can complement well with Caicedo, Rueda seems to go for totally different players. Unfortunately Michael Arroyo isn't in this list. He too could have been a real option to play behind Felipe.

23. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Who gives a f*** how they practice. Some players are practice players but never show up in games (Ener Valencia) while others don't practice well but show up in big games.

Its a huge mistake if Yoya or Ener start IMO. Leaves the mid field with a huge hole. All Uruguay has to do is just defend like crazy and pressure Valencia and Montero. If they do that then they win... plain and simple.

24. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I haven't seen Yoya play lately other than the Bolivia game where he was misused...but if he is up top with Caicedo I will be happy with that. Unlike Fidel, at least Jaime has somewhat proven that he can score at this level. Remember before his injury and his unlucky stint in Mexico he was the main man next to Chucho, and he delivered in the WCQ against Venezuela and a bunch of friendlies, including our wins against Mexico, USA and Chile.

I've always thought he is underrated and has been extremely unlucky that he is back in Ecuador and hasn't regained his NT starting spot. Remember a couple years ago there were even some EPL rumors. And he didn't do bad at all in Mexico, he scored a lot of goals but Pachuca was impatient with him.

My concern with Fidel is that this is not really the best match to try him out. We don't know how he'll gel with the others, and even though we have good evidence that he's good under pressure, nobody on this team except AV, Noboa and Castillo have dealt with the type of pressure that will be on the team tomorrow.

I've already stated I believe it will be a major mistake to start Enner, so I won't even analyze that possibility.

25. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I may have brought this up earlier but does anyone find it odd that Uruguay hasn't even stepped foot in Quito to practice yet? They haven't even seen the stadium yet and apparently they're practicing in el Estadio Monumental in Guayaquil instead. Could this bite them in the ass possibly,anyone have experience with playing soccer at high altitudes?. I know that when I went to Ecuador the first few days I played a game of soccer with a few people and to say the least I was winded easily and had a hard time keeping up and breathing properly.