Ecuador en Brasil 2014

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by barcelonista1981, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    So.....
    Where the heck is the Call Up list? Its late Monday Afternoon and I thought it would have been out now, seeing as the game is less than 2 weeks and Rueda is routinely late with these things, unlike other coaches...

2. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Speaking of which, The call up for the next 2 Friendlies:

Achillier Zurita Gabriel (Emelec).
    Ayovi Corozo Jaime (Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito).
    Ayovi Corozo Walther (Pachuca, de México).
    Bagui Angúlo Oscar (Emelec).
    Banguera Valdiviezo Maximo (Barcelona).
    Caicedo Corozo Felipe (Lokomotiv, de Rusia).
    Campos León Jairo (Barcelona).
    Castillo Nazareno Segundo (Al-Hilal Saudi Fútbol Club).
    Dominguez Carabalí Alexander (Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito).
    Erazo Vivero Frickson (Barcelona).
    Gaibor Orellana Fernando (Emelec).
    Guagua Tamayo Jorge (Deportivo Quito).
    Ibarra Mina Renato (Tittese, de Holanda).
    Martinez Tenorio Fidel (Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente, México).
    Montero Vite Jefferson (Monarcas Morelia, de México).
    Noboa Tello Cristhian (Dínamo, de Rusia).
    Paredes Juan Carlos (Barcelona).
    Ramirez Cristhian Leonel (Fortuna Dusseldorf, de Alemania).
    Rojas Mendoza Johao (Cruz Azul, de México).
    Saritama Luis Fernando (Liga Deportiva Universitaria de Quito).
    Valencia Lastra Enner (Emelec).
    Valencia Luis Antonio (Manchester United, de Inglaterra).

3. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Happy to see Christian Ramirez and the return of Jayro Campos, Gaibor? I think we can all name 2-3 players in that same position who are doing better than him in the campeonato.

4. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    BTW I had a feeling that Campos was gonna get called up, his performance at el clasico was huge. I guess Ramirez bumped out Corozo?

5. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    IMO good call up. Extremely happy to see Campos back!
    Also about Gaibor... dude has been playing great! I'm happy he got called up.

These are just friendliest though and Rueda just wants to see the how the young kids play with the current NT. I don't think Ramirez or Gaibor have bumped anyone out yet.

6. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yes They are friendlies, but they are 2 of the 5 matches that we'll have to prepare for the World Cup, I know ueda has the starting 11 in mind, but with 23 players limit and only 5 games how much can he experiment and the fact that Ramirez got called up and Corozo didnt, its not wrong to say Ramirez took his place, surprisingly, because Corozo has done well

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Campos was monster in the Clasico del Astillero. He is having a great come back. Those are the type of players we need on the NT. Jugadores con jerarquia.

On the other hand Ramirez hasn't taken anyone's place. The time between now and the WC is a phase of experiments where new players are welcomed into this NT, players who have that "something" in them. Ramirez and Gaibor are players with that "something". The fact that Gabriel Corozo isn't on the list this time doesn't mean a thing. Corozo was part of this team in the most crucial part of this Qualifier and even though he didn't play, I'm sure he's going to break into this NT sooner than later. Ramirez is an experiment. Right now Rueda is trying to see what Ramirez is really made of and if he fits into this team or not and if he's ready to play at this level. He might not even play, but if he does it will give Rueda an idea of where Ramirez stands. Same goes for Gaibor. Gaibor is a great player who's been on an off this season. Gaibor, Ener, and Marcos Caicedo have been the three Emelec players that have always had inconsistent seasons and had certain moments in the season where they are outstanding but can't hold that form for long. I think what Rueda did with Ener was great. Sometimes certain guys like Ener need that extra push. Rueda changed Ener's career if you think about...at least a few years down the line we'll look back and notice that the game vs. Colombia was the point in which Ener finally believed in his potential. I think right now Ener is finally developing into a great player and taking the next step in his career. I even see him playing with much more confidence and leadership in Emelec ever since he's been on the NT. He'll most likely be out of Ecuador after this season, latest after the WC. Gaibor is the next guy that needs to follow in Ener's steps. Rueda is GIVING THEM THE CHANCE! Time to take advantage. It's now or never! Gaibor is an excellent player. Complete midfielder who can defend and attack, goes up and down the field non-stop, great shot/freekick, he's got the qualities of a good center mid it's all up to him now. But IMO he's also one of those players that need that extra push. Unfortunately Marcos Caicedo didn't take full advantage of the chance Rueda gave him at the beginning of the season when he was on fire...I think he's the one that is going to need the most help out of three emelexistas.

Either way, this is the experiment phase where we will see Sornoza, Ramirez, Corozo, Gaibor, and other guys coming in and out of this list. Arroyo, Cristian Suarez, Gruezo, Fernando Guerrero, Andres Mendoza, Luis Caicedo, and many other players will be on Rueda's radar but it's too early to say so and so is taking another players spot. Each call up will have 2-4 new players on it but the base will remain. If this were a Qualifier date, I can assure you guys that Ramirez and Gaibor would have been replaced by Corozo and Pedro Quinonez/Alex Bolanos b/c they're actually a part of this process.

Good luck to Ramirez and Gaibor though I want to see them do well on the NT and hopefully claim a spot but they will have to prove that they can play at this level. Like I said, it's now or never for these guys b/c 90% of this NT squad is consolidated. Pedro Quinonez or Alex Bolanos easily can take Gaibor's spot if he doesn't stand out. Especially since they have more experience at this level and have been part of the NT longer. Good luck Ramirez, Gaibor, and even Martinez....he hasn't secured his spot on this list either.

8. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Better than Gaibor? who? More consistent players maybe, but better in what sense? Pedro Quinonez and Alex Bolanos are the only two players who have more experience and are usual NT call ups. The only reason they aren't on this list is because this is a friendly and not a Qualifier date....meaning Rueda wants to experiment. Carlos Gruezo will probably get his chance too soon, he's actually been consistent and IMO is the only player who can compete against Gaibor (when he's at his best). Other than that Quinonez is a 5. Much more defensive than Gaibor and doesn't have the ability to advance up the middle as well as Gaibor. Alex Bolanos has a good balance but isn't technically as gifted or intelligent on the attack like Gaibor. Gaibor doesn't leave your midfield naked, he brings the right balance and plays both roles (offensively and defensively) really well. If he does well in these games (assuming he gets his chance to play) the NT will have gained a very important player. It's tough finding a centermid that can fulfill both roles thoroughly. Gruezo can, but he still has to continue developing. The minute he's ready, he will be a monster.

Right now in our league there's not many centermids that have the balance Gaibor has. More consistent players with better season YES, but with better qualities i doubt it. Saritama has the balance as well as Alex Bolanos, but Saritama isn't having a good season it's just average IMO and Bolanos is ok but not impressive. I think if Bolanos had to replace Castillo in a game he'd do well but not bring anything new that we haven't seen before.

9. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree. IMO Rueda is setting the team up for the WC and beyond. I believe the starting NT for the next WC will have the young players that he has been calling up. Corozo on the RB and Ramirez on the LB would be pretty awesome to see. Gaibor and Sornoza in the middle would be freaking sick! Add Cevallos that is currently on Italy in that midfield and this COULD be one of the best mid field group in the NT ever.

Right now the older guys that are getting called up again are pretty much set for the WC. I don't like Guagua or Bagui on that list but it doesn't matter because Rueda loves them. That's fine by me as long as the starting 4 defenders (Paredes, Erazo, Campos, and Ayovi) are healthy through the WC.

Glad to see Martinez called up again! Means that he had a good impression on Rueda. He isn't secured yet but it's very positive! With Montero having up and down games, Martinez is a great alternative. Even as a forward he can play too. Man, I'm pumped for the coming games!

10. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    About Gaibor, Quinteros has said a few times that hes a multifunctional player, he can be used a a center mid (defensive) and has used him as a creative mid a few times, the game against Macara specially, thing is in my opinion, both positions I can find someone who has been more solid, now to be honest, hes probably been called up due to Pedro Quinonez injury, even so I consider Alex Bolanos to be more solid, stronger at recuperando balones, more experienced, Carlos Gruezo, more dynamic, faster, better control of the ball, heck, even Dennys Quinonez and Pedro Larrea have had a better year, do you remember the game Gaibor had a month ago at Cuenca?
    Also, if he was called for his creative mid field positions in which hes surprisingly good as well, I think Guerrero and Arroyo are better, even Colon, Samaniego or Pita. then again it's just me.
    About Corozo, I am not trying to make something negative about his absence but reality is in a friendly pair of games it was an excellent opportunity to finally step on the field after being with the squad the last 4 matches, Rueda decides to bring Ramirez in. I said I'm shocked Cause Corozo is one of the few highlights Liga had this year, but no matter how people want to make it seem Ramirez got called up over Corozo.

11. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #86 b9d23m89, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    I was listening to Radio la Red and Radio Deportiva not too long ago and I got the feeling that the reason Corozo isn't on the list is because of some comment Bauza made earlier this week. I think he might have had a conversation with Rueda about not calling up too many players from Liga b/c right now Liga is playing really crucial games at the end of the season and fighting for a spot in an international cup next season. That's what was hinted out from what I heard. I guess that's why Mendez isn't on there either.

Quinonez and Larrea are good players too, but my point is they don't offer the balance Gaibor does. Alex Bolanos offers the best balance, but like I said technically he's not as good with the ball at his feet as Gaibor when it comes to creating. Gaibor doesn't play the same position as Arroyo, Pita, Colon, or Samaniego. These four guys are attacking players and have no defensive qualities at all. For them to play on this NT they have to have 2 defensive mids behind them, with Arroyo being the exception b/c he can play as a forward or as a left wing, as well as a center attacking mid now. Pita, Colon, and Samaniego don't have defensive attributes to play on the NT, hence why they are never called. Not that they are bad players, they just don't fit in a 4-4-2 for Rueda. Heck, if I played a 4-4-2 they wouldn't be on my squad either. I'd get raped if I'd play a Valencia-Castillo/Noboa-Colon-Montero line up. Easily calls for disaster. But Gaibor can play in this NT. Gaibor can easily play next to Noboa or next to Castillo if he had to as a center mid. He defends and attacks. Same with Gruezo. There's few players in our league that can bring that balance like I said. The reason Rueda loves Saritama and Alex Bolanos is because they can offer that to the NT. My thoughts are just that they aren't the best at it. Noboa and Castillo are still the best IMO, but players like Gaibor and Gruezo will be awesome if they live up to their potential.

I'm eager to see if Juventus keeps JF Cevallos Jr.. If he comes back to Liga, fine with me we are glad to have him back if that's the case. He's probably has more confidence, had some physical gains, and mentally developed in the last year. No doubt he'd win a spot in Liga if he came back. Hidalgo and Saritama better hope he doesn't lol. What i'm hearing so far is that Juventus wants him to stay and they are planning on loaning him out to a smaller team in el Calcio

12. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    All in a all a decent call up from Rueda. In my opinion, only two players should not be on that list and it's Bagui and Saritama. With Ramirez and Walter already on the squad, calling up Bagui is pointless. He's a decent player and can fill in for Walter if need be but he's not the future at LB. As for Saritama..what is there to say that hasn't already been said. I would have liked to see someone like Edison Vega get a look. He's been solid all season.

I like what Rueda is doing by calling up Ramirez and Gaibor. In recent times he's called up Sornoza and Corozo. Like someone already said, he's setting the team up for the future by calling up players that figure to be part of the NT as we move forward. I've heard that the reason Coroza wasn't called up was because he will be practicing with the U18 squad. In the future I would like to see guys like Narvaez, Fernando Leon, Gruezo, and Uchuari get a look as well.

As for Gaibor, as an Emelec fan, I'll be the first to tell you that throughout any given season, Gaibor will have his ups and downs. But lately he's been playing really well. He's one of the more versatile players in the league as he can play multiple positions in midfield.

13. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Again, I compare Gaibor to some creative mids because Quinteros himself has said Gaibor can do both, as a matter of fact Gaibor has been placed in between Pedro Quinonez and Emelec's forwards,so I insist, IMO there are better defensive mids and/or creative mids, but Rueda must have his reasons, just like the time he called up Colon and about what you said our system not working with a "10" I remember us not doing bad with Chala, Aguinaga, Tenorio and Mendez line up, Tin and Kaviedez up front it was a very effective team, but I agree that we do not have the defensive mids we had back in 99-2002 era, Tenorio and Marlon Ayovi were beasts.
    Now due to the closeness of both game I am pretty sure most players will get minutes, Now I wonder will Arroyo ever go back to the National Team? specially now that another team switch seems to be coming for him.

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The ecuador of that time didn't have a strong presence on the wings like this one does. They played a different style of futbol. This Ecuador doesn't depend on a 10 and plays at a much faster pace than the previous generations from a decade ago. Benitez wasn't a 10, but he helped out a bunch dropping down to the middle and giving the opponents a headache and opening spaces for Caicedo and our wingers as well. We need someone like that. Whoever plays next to Caicedo has to have that characteristic. That doesn't necessarily mean we need a 10....matter of fact the 10's are almost extinct in futbol, it's hard to find one. We just need someone that can pair up with Caicedo and bring him to life fully like Benitez did. But the reason I said Pita, Colon, and Samaniego don't have a spot in this NT is b/c they have never been players that recover. They play one position on the field and that's it. With Rueda, you better be able to play multiple functions or else you aren't as appealing anymore. That's why Gaibor is on the list and the other three aren't. You can bet most of those guys will never be part of Rueda's list unless it's for a friendly (if that). Pita, Colon, and Samaniego are great to have on your team as long as you got someone covering their asses when your team is getting counter attacked. Otherwise the opponent will fly right through the middle like it's nothing. Edison Mendez is one of the few players who could have played in a 4-4-2 with something like Valencia-Noboa-Mendez-Montero in his best days b/c he could play both functions on the field. Mendez was a beast and til this day I have not seen another guy in the midfield with his quality period. Mendez and Aguinaga were the best i've seen....as good as Montero and Valencia are. It's easy for Ecuador to produce another Valencia or Montero, but another Mendez or Aguinaga....that's tough.

Right now I'm hearing a lot on the ecua sports media about that kid Danny Cabezas from Velez Sarsfield. In a little over a year that kid got to Velez, made the youth squad, moved up to the reserves, and now recently moved up to the first squad and was on the bench for a game last weekend. He plays the same position as Juan Cazares....let's just hope he's not another Cazares. And there's another 18 year old kid Danny Velez who also plays in Velez Sarsfield right now who's a striker and he just debuted in the reserves. We need more of those creative players.

15. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Will have to disagree again, Ulisses De La Cruz was one of our biggest threats if not the best one, Look how many goals in 2002-2006 WCQ come from him, if anything our style changed due to the lack of good headers not cus of a lack of 10, Granted he was not a winger but sure as hell played like one, you are 100% right about Gaibor being more of a recovery player than Colon, Samaniego, I dont know if better than Pita, I could also argue Gaibors not a player that we can call fast and tends to get tired a lot hence Its why hes one of the most subbed players in Emelec. my question is this, is Gaibor a serious project for Rueda or is he a Guerron/Colon call up where there wasnt much chance for them

Danny Cabezas, I dont know if you remember some time ago when reps from River and Velez came and took some kids from River Plate from Ecuador? Danny Cabezas is one of them, I believe before that he was in Patria or Fuerza Amarilla before River Plate. Wilmer Ayovi was part of those boys too, I'm sure we'll hear of him too soon enough.
    What frustrates me is that some of our young promises just dont seem to take that next step.....Fernando Guerrero (granted he is still a jugadorazo to me) Joel Valencia, Cazarez, Montano, Walter Chala, I know they are still young yet i get the impression where they just fall through the process.
    Danny Cabezas

16. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't think we can compare Gaibor to the call ups of Guerron and Colon simply because of his age and the fact that he was part of the U-20 NT. He will certainly replace Pedro Quiñonez and Saritama in the next WCQ cycle. Can't get ahead of ourselves and say he will be Castillo's replacement but he can definitely fight for a starting spot in a couple of years if he stays consistent.

17. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ulises and Reasco were right and left backs, not wingers as you know. Now our presence on the wings is much greater than back then. We are more dependent on it. Before that wasn't the case in the Ulises and Reasco days that wasn't the case. Right now if Montero/Walter or Antonio/Paredes aren't having a good day we are screwed. Back then we could survive if Ulises or Reasco weren't at their best during a game b/c there were players like Aguinaga, Mendez, Kaviedes, and great finishers like El Tin who could sentence a game easily.

18. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    So what happened to Sornoza on this call-up? Every call-up we get excited about a new young player and Rueda ends up sticking to his favorites. Now it's Gaibor and Ramirez. I'm happy for them but I doubt they get more than 10 minutes, like Fidel and Guerron.

My concern is we have no "B" team, and we have no base for the future. The team in 12 months will be completely different, at least 5-6 players will no longer be an option for 2018. The lack of renovation will then fall on the next coach to fix, like poor Vizuete had to do when Suarez kept playing our team from World Cup 2002.

Some of you will defend Rueda because he couldn't risk those players in the qualifying matches. But it's not like we did good in any of those matches. We didn't play well at all, and only the inspiration of Valencia and Montero got us the 1-0 victory against Uruguay. We lost to Colombia and Chile and tied Bolivia with a PK...and we didn't deserve any better than that.

I'm glad we qualified but the honeymoon is over, we need to fix this team and inject some tactical changes and young players with fresh ideas.

19. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree with you 100% about the call ups, its as if he calls some people yet they dont really get a chance to play, for example as I mentioned above, the game against Honduras was a great chance for Sornoza and Corozo.
    About the B team? I guess Rueda is focused on the World Cup and I dont blame him too much, I mean lets say he gets us to the second round, I still believe theres a high chance he wont be along for a new cycle and rightly so, remember when Bolillo and Suarez tried their second WCQ?
    In regards to the future team? considering that if we stick to the same fixture of WCQ, it mean that by the end of next year we are playing Venezuela and Brasil again, the current team minus a few adjustments will be in good shape to start a new cycle, Walter and Castillo might leave the NT right after the World Cup tho.

20. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Reading around, South Korea is trying to have a friendly with Ecuador around January-early February. Wouldn't be bad quite frankly. I think we should have a friendly with at least 1 team from every confederation. Argentina (CONMEBOL), Honduras (CONCACAF), South Korea *Rumors* (AFC), Netherlands *Rumors* (UEFA) and we should get probably Cote D'Ivoire or Ghana for CAF, what do you guys think? Would be great if you ask me :p

21. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    All those games would be wonderful! I'd add another one from UEFA if possible- just in case. Greater exposure to rigor can only do us well in the long run.

22. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's the match against Netherlands official?

23. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    From what I read, it would become official if we don't end up playing Holland in the group stages once the draw happens. I am still hoping we get in Belgium's group. I think we'd make noise in a group with Belgium as a favorite.

24. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We'll only make noise in a group like that if Rueda stops being a bonehead and actually plays the right players and stop depending fully on the wings!! Honestly I liked the possession we had on Friday however I'm a little disappointed on the lack of accuracy in shots on target and the amount of dispossessions we had whenever trying to get in the penalty area.

25. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Will placing a player with good ball control and precise passing such as Mendez or Colon instead of Enner Valencia help Caicedo and our wingers by driving through the mid field?