East Valley MLSPR Chapter Thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by Siff, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey East Valley Chapter! I had a lot of fun watching the CCC match :)( for Houston) and discussing MLS Phoenix Rising with every one who attended last night.

For those of you on BigSoccer I wanted to create a central location for our chapter's discussions on meeting dates, locations, chapter business, and any other fun we come up with, so we can focus our efforts toward East Valley-specific MLSPR work.

This effort will pay off as we grow our numbers and begin to create momentum in the now-dormant fan base. I look forward to watching the discussions both on this thread and in chapter meetings and soccer viewing parties.

I am really looking forward to this!

2. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the televised games for opening day tomorrow:

DC United at Rapids, 12:30 P, ABC
    Toronto at Chivas USA, 7:30 P, FSC

This is a list of the East Valley pubs that carry FSC (I'm sure that they all carry ESPN2 as well):

Fibber Magees, 1989 W. Elliot Rd. #19, Chandler, Arizona 85224, 480-722-9434
    McDuffy's, 230 W 5th St, Tempe, AZ 85281, 480-966-5600
    Molly Brannigan's,
    1744 South Val Vista Drive, Suite 101, Mesa, AZ 85204, 480-507-7827
    R.T. O'Sullivan's,
    1010 West Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85210, [FONT=&quot]480-844-1290 and
    [/FONT] 6646 Superstition Springs, Mesa, AZ 85206, 480-396-9933
    Fox and Hound,
    1017 East Baseline Road, Gilbert, AZ 85233, [FONT=&quot]480-507-2343

Do people want to watch matches at the RT O'Sullivan's we were at last night or is there another location you would like to try out?
    [/FONT]

3. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    Tim, here. My vote would be for the British Open Pub or McDuffy's, but I'm cool with going to Sullivan's again.

4. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey EVMLSPR!

Since we are getting close to kickoff, why don't we make it simple this week and hit up O'Sullivan's at noon for the DC-Rapids match.

Since we had a event there already I think that the management will be receptive to us again. I'll call them as soon as they open to reserve a place for us, most likely in the same corner as Thursday night.

If this does not work for people, please email me ASAP.

I look forward to watching the start of MLS with you!

Scott

5. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will have an area reserved at RT O'Sullivan's for our group to watch DC-Rapids. Kickoff is at 12:30. For those interested who weren't there Thursday, RT O'Sullivan's is located in the Poca Fiesta Shopping Center at the northwest corner of Southern and Westwood in Mesa. Westwood is the first light east of Alma School.

See you there!

6. murph1272

murph1272 New Member

Jun 27, 2002

I'll see you there Scott.

7. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    I had a great time today, it was great to be able to sit down and start to get to know all of you as people and soccer fans. I couldn't be more excited for our future as a club.

8. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey EV! There is a game tonight between FC Dallas and the Galaxy, 7:30 PM, EPSN2. I won't be able to make it out tonight, but if someone wants to organize a get-together ya better start planning!

Looking ahead to the weekend (which I also have other plans for...), the national TV schedule is:

KC at DC, 4:30 PM on FSC
    Chivas at Dynamo, 5:30 PM on HDNet
    Dallas at Red Bulls, Noon on Telefutura

Look at this post for lists of places to go: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11167438&postcount=2

I am trying to figure out if any local watering holes carry the Direct Kick package. if any one has any leads, let me and the thread know!

9. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    We probably should start planning for this weekend if anyone wants to meet up. The FSC game is Houston vs NYRB at 4:30PM, and the DK game is RSL vs Chivas USA at 7:30. I'd be cool with either, anyone want to meet up?

10. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a reminder EV-MLSPR of the Phoenix Rising meeting tonight at RT O'Sullivans at Alma School and Southern in Mesa (same place as last time). We'll kick the meeting off at 7 pm.

Bring your ideas and your enthusiasm as we lay the groundworks for our future team's Supporters' Club!

11. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    Great meeting tonight, everyone. I think we got a lot done and I'm even more excited about what the future will bring.

Big thanks to David and Tim, (New David, I should say), for coming and giving your input.

Here's the matches for May 12th:

Chicago Fire vs. Toronto FC @ 3:30pm ET (I think that's 12:30 PT) on FSC.

Chivas USA vs. Columbus Crew @ 7:30pm ET (4:30 PT) on Direct Kick.

FC Dallas vs. KC Wizards @ 8pm ET (5 PT) on Direct Kick.

NE Revolution vs. LA Galaxy @ 10:30pm ET (7:30 PT) on Direct Kick.

The NBA playoff schedule doesn't appear to go to the 12th but if they have the trend of day on/day off, there will be a Suns game on that day. We'll have to keep our eyes open for that.

12. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next Suns game is Sunday. What was the feedback on DK from Sullivans?

13. DesertEagle

DesertEagle New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Per their manager they have DK. Tim (Original Tim) has his card. Notice I didn't say old Tim. They appear to me interested in developing a match viewing relationship with us. We should ask them to spend a little time with us on the 12th.

14. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viewing Party for Thursday Night MLS!

Hey EV,

I know this is a little out of our region, but there is a viewing party for Thursday's game being put together down at the George & Dragon off of Central Ave. in Phoenix. Real Salt Lake is visiting Colorado Rapids. Kickoff is at 6. Come on down and mingle with the West Valley and Central Phoenix MLSPRs.

Map to George & Dragon: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....073808&spn=0.018574,0.040169&z=15&iwloc=addr

See you there! Scott

15. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    I haven't heard back from anyone that said they would go, but I picked out the 5pm game, not realizing it would be the same time as the Suns game. I don't know if anyone wants to do differently, or just roll with it and watch a bit of the Suns as well. It doesn't matter to me, but the place will be PACKED.

16. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any EV folks planning on watching the Champions League final next Wednesday (the 23rd)?

17. Sports Cactus

Sports Cactus New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I'm looking for a place to watch the CL Final along with the FA Cup, though FA Cup is at 7am MST. ouch

18. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    Looks like the meeting is one week, just a quick reminder for everyone!

19. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USMNT Copa America Schedule

The next two US matches in Copa America both begin at 3:30 PM here in AZ. We match up against Paraguay this afternoon and Columbia on Thursday.

For East Valley residents, both Half Moon Grill and RT O'Sullivan's have GolTV, which is carrying the English broadcast of Copa. I won't be able to attend either match, but if there is a group of fans that want to get together to watch, post here and I will try to set something up.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the AZ Republic article today: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/0701boivin0702.html, https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561785

Make sure to click the link to the Republic article to generate lots of site traffic at AZCentral and let the Republic reporters know that MLS in Phoenix is a hot topic to report on!

20. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East Valley MLSPR Chapter Update - 10 July 2007

Hey East Valley MLSPR Members,

Just a quick update on upcoming events for MLS Phoenix Rising and the East Valley Chapter

***** Copa Panamericana in Glendale, AZ, July 16, 18, 20, 22
    - Group tickets through MLS Phoenix Rising for Friday July 20 and Sunday July 22. Send an email to mlsphoenixrising@cox.net with the following information:

YOUR NAME
    CONTACT TELEPHONE #
    DATE(S) YOU WANT TO ATTEND
    NUMBER OF TICKETS REQUESTED PER DATE

Tickets are $40 each per day. You will be contacted by the tournament promoter to process your transaction after you send in your request.

- Pre-game parties at the Yard House in Westgate Center Friday night at 4 pm (6 pm kickoff) and Saturday night at 1 pm (4 pm kickoff)

***** MLS All-Star Game viewing party - Thursday, July 19, 6 PM, location coming soon.
    - Watch the MLS All-Stars take on Scotland's Celtic FC

***** Galaxy vs. Chelsea FC - Saturday July 21, 5:30 PM, location coming soon.
    - Friendly match featuring the #2 side in EPL last season
    - Debut of David Beckham for LA Galaxy

I hope to see you at any or all of these events!

Scott

21. soco

soco Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Scottsdale
    Are we still having a meeting this Thursday, the 12th?

22. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's push the meeting back to the 19th, to coincide with the MLS All-Star game.

23. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And what meeting would that be? How would a relatively new member know the meeting was taking place?

24. Noodles

Noodles Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome! We invite and encourage your participation in all of our activities. Please check this thread regularly for updates on East Valley meetings and events. Also, send Siff a Private Message (PM) with your e-mail address to make sure you are on the MLSPR-East Valley e-mailing list. We announce our planned activities on this board and by e-mail. Hope to see you at our next EV chapter meeting ... details will be posted very soon.

25. Siff

Siff New Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated events for this week

East Valley and other Phoenix Soccer Fans!! Come join the East Valley Chapter of MLS Phoenix Rising at the following events:

***** Copa Panamericana in Glendale, AZ, July 16, 18, 20, 22
    - Group tickets through MLS Phoenix Rising for Friday July 20 and Sunday July 22. Send an email to mlsphoenixrising@cox.net with the following information:

YOUR NAME
    CONTACT TELEPHONE #
    DATE(S) YOU WANT TO ATTEND
    NUMBER OF TICKETS REQUESTED PER DATE

Tickets are $40 each per day. You will be contacted by the tournament promoter to process your transaction after you send in your request.

- Pre-game parties at the Yard House in Westgate Center Friday night at 4 pm (6 pm kickoff) and Saturday night at 1 pm (4 pm kickoff)

***** MLS All-Star Game viewing party - Thursday, July 19, 6 PM, RTO Sullivans on Southern (map).
    - Watch the MLS All-Stars take on Scotland's Celtic FC
    - We will also be holding a chapter update meeting at halftime

***** Galaxy vs. Chelsea FC - Saturday July 21, 5:30 PM, RTO Sullivans on Southern (map).
    - Friendly match featuring the #2 side in EPL last season
    - Debut of David Beckham for LA Galaxy
    - There is a prize fight being shown at the bar later on this same night. MLS PR has reserved a room for the soccer match. Let the hostess know you are here for the soccer match or for MLS PR and you will be directed to the soccer match and do not have to pay the $10 cover for the fight.