Earthquakes history -- NASL style!, Part 2

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by babytiger2001, Jun 30, 2008.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1974: Birth of San Jose in the North American Soccer League (NASL)
    Owner Milan Mandaric (pictured) and club's first GM Dick Berg fight hard for the Earthquakes to be in San Jose, not San Francisco.[​IMG]

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    San Francisco Fog 1980-81 Home (MISL)[​IMG]

thesockerguy repped this.
  3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well not really. He played in both the 1983 & 84 NASL outdoor season which was the original SJQ franchise that originated in 1974 but he only played the last two seasons for the club. He has the distinction of being the last (old) NASL MVP in 1984 until he was traded to the San ?Diego Sockers for $100,000 along with Branko Segota to play indoors.

Oh_Teddy_Teddy repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gerd Muller and Branko Segota
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #685 falvo, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Manchester City (England) at Oakland Clippers
    Date: June 9, 1968 Clippers won 3-0 Attendance: 25,237
    Goals: Mario Baesso (2)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #686 falvo, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Alex Pringle comes into tackle San Jose Earthquakes' Paul Child, during the 1975 NASL Indoor Championship Game, played at the Cow Palace. With Doug Wark in the background.
    [​IMG]
    A newspaper clipping from the 1975 NASL Indoor Championship Final, against the San Jose Earthquakes. Played on March 16th, 1975 at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, the Rowdies lost the Final 5-8, in front of an attendance of 8,618.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DotMPP, tectonicnight and Earthshaker repped this.
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff, Falvo.:thumbsup:

falvo repped this.
  12. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    If you read the short recap of the indoor championship game between the Quakes and the Rowdies, you will see that a guy named "Dave" Child was named MVP (along with Gabbo Gavric)....pretty funny really. Hardly anyone knew who these guys were really. Those days of the NASL were the dark ages compared to the kind of exposure of today, which is still awful.

13. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't paul's brother come over to play some indoor that year?? ;)
    yeah, i wonder if that was the chron, exam, murk, or something else.

i had to reread the part about hewie to remember that he was playing for tampa at that time, not us....

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Amazing that the game happened 39 years ago. I'm thinking that article was from a Tampa newspaper because the Merc (Fred Guzman, Dan Hruby etc) actually reported the Quakes pretty thoroughly in those days even though the Quakes were only a year old. I don't really remember the game that much but I remember a lot of my cousins and family members going to the game. The crowd of 8,618 still looks pretty healthy especially considering it was on a Sunday afternoon and played indoors at the Cow Palace.

Reading the article, longtime Quakes GK Mike Hewitt had a stellar game and I think that triggered someone in the Quakes front office to purchase him the next year. He split time with Paul Hammond in the 1975 outdoor season in Tampa until Arnie Mausser took over and Hewitt was sold to San Jose.

15. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Mark Demling broke his ankle in the championship game which kept out of the entire 1975 outdoor season. It's mentioned in the article...the broken ankle occurred when Demling's ankle came in contact with Ringo Cantillo's shin. Obviously, Demo was out of the game, but Cantillo also could not continue. It was a nasty collision.

This was before the MISL. There had been exhibition indoor games previously. NASL all-stars had played various teams, including the Soviet Red Army team, either at the Cow Palace or in Oakland in previous years. I remember the goals were short and wide, something like 3 or 4 ft. tall x 8 or 10 ft. wide. The 1975 "season" was actually 4 regional tournaments (4 teams each), with the tournament winners meeting at the Cow Palace for a championship tournament. In the Western Regional Tournament, the Quakes had beaten Dallas, then Vancouver (a great indoor game). The Quakes' goalkeeper in the Vancouver game was Mirko Stojanovic, who was easily the MVP of the match. After the game, he declared himself to be the "greatest goalie in the United States" and apparently wanted more money. The Quakes immediately released him and Mike Ivanow played in the following tournament, plus all of the 1975 outdoor season. Hewitt came in 1976, after spending most of the 1975 Rowdies outdoor championship season on the bench....their championship game, against Portland, was played at Spartan Stadium.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #692 falvo, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Yeah Hewitt was on the bench during Soccer Bowl 75. I doubt he knew then that he would end up in San Jose for the next 7/8 years. He ended up playing for the Montreal Manic in 1983 then retired and lived in Morgan Hill doing some type of mortgage. I think he is now living and last year he helped out the GK's with Phoenix FC in the USL Pro League.

Interesting how owner Milan Mandaric released GK Mirko Stojanovic. They must have remained on good terms though because it didn't keep him from hiring him as a coach 3 years later when he purchased the Oakland Stompers.

17. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA
    Those guys were friends. Many of the players worked for Milan at LIKA Corporation. They did not make nearly enough money playing soccer, especially during the winter. Virtually all of them had other jobs. Contracts were never long term in those days. If someone had a contract for the entire NASL season, they were fortunate. For these indoor tournaments, I'm sure most of the players had contracts just for the weekends involved, maybe even on a "per game" basis in some cases. Some even had "per game" deals during the summer outdoor season. It was pretty easy to let a player go.....often there was no contract to worry about. I know that the starters during the outdoor season were making a few $hundred per game, something like $400.00 in 1975. Guys like Paul Child were paid more and some were making less. During the winter, no games, no money, so they went to work like the rest of us. During the summer, most of them went to work too, but they also had to go to training and travel to road games.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember Paul Child worked in construction during the offseason. I remember both John Rowlands and Laurie Calloway worked at the Britania Arms and I think Rowlands owned a piece of it but I can't remember if it was while they were playing or after they retired.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Doug McMillan (19 Maybe), Tibor Molnar (18) Lee Atack (13)San Jose Earthquakes at Los Angeles Aztecs[​IMG]

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    RIP! Giorgio Chinaglia 24 January 1947 – 1 April 2012
    [​IMG]

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    Chris Hellenkamp (24), Gary Etherington (20), Bernie Fagan (18)Portland Timbers at San Jose Earthquakes

[​IMG]
    Davie Kemp (13), George Best (11)Earthquakes Red collar Los Angeles Aztecs-San Jose Earthquakes

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  24. AndrePirloRules

Jan 11, 2008
    With all this discontent from Quakes fan and supporter groups on how Kaval is running the club. I can't wait for an NASL team to form in the bay area. We can't have Kaval keeping bay soccer fans hostage by undermining the real fans/commoners and catering to the privileged socialites. The exclusive separated lower tier designed approved by Kaval is the clear indication of that. Lets face it Kaval is more a capitalistic salesman than a fan of the game. Honestly I feel that going into the job, Kaval does not know isht about the soccer.