Earnest Stewart Dutch Management adventure

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 22, 2006.

1. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    remove head from ass

by the way, i love earnie stewart, dc united and us nats stalwart.

and I never expected him to go out of his way to hire US players.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are removing your head from your ass?

With the minimum salary for non-Eu players, its not likely that Earnie would be offering such numbers to unproven players like Finley, Wynne and even Sasha.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, Michael Bradley got a deal from Heerenveen at age what, 18? He had played only 1 season in MLS at the time. He was paid the minimum non-EU salary. So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under 20 minimum salary was about €175,000 at the time Bradley signed. I think it was even less for Rogers as he was on a youth contract. Also, Heerenveen had just sold Alves for a load of cash at the time and was spending a good bit on prospects like Bradley.

5. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a small correction: Alfonso Alves wasn't sold to Boro until January 2008, at which point Rogers had already gone back to Columbus and Bradley had established himself as a starter. Bradley joined the club in January 2006 and Rogers in August.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for comparison, what's the minimum salary now for older players?

7. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I'm sure the details are being worked out, but is this final?
    2. Why do Genoa need another goalie, they have the 28 yo Marco Amelia. How cheap is Romero going?

8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it have been Huntelaar

I seem to remember €600,000.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes

And Yes, that might be too much for Marvell Wynne.

(It was in the MLSsoccer.com article: The Netherlands has bumped the minimum annual salary requirement for non-European Union signings up to €512,000 ($623,000). )

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For most Dutch clubs they can't risk spending that amount unless the player can step in and be a star right away. PSV and Ajax have a bit of flexibility, the rest watch their budgets very tightly.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    So what would a salary be for an non star player? 2-300,000 euros or less?

13. That's about right for most players, besides those with clubs in financial troubles.

14. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. I think Panicfc mixed up with the sale of the Greek Samaras or however his name was. He was sold for a idiotic amount of money to ManCity and he wasnot even a regular first team player.

How hard it may be to swallow, but the first and only task of Earnest is to manage the affairs of the club with only the benefits of the club on his mind. His task isnot to play developer of US soccer. That doesnot rule out that he will contract USA players, but as Panicfc mentioned they will be more likely be in the youth department. The new coach GertJan Verbeek is a coach with a weak spot for the sports mentality of the Yanks (see my translation of an interview with him in the Bradley thread I posted during his Heerenveen time), so it isnot impossible.
    Stewart will want to succeed at AZ so to make the fundation for bigger clubs offers. In that track there is no room for risky adventures, certainly not with a club that just skimmed the edge of a cliff.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasn't Huntelaar sold the window they bought Bradley? Plus the Bradley fee was pretty low. I seem to remember $200,000 or so.

17. Could be, they regularly made money during those days:D.

Interview with Earnest about his move to AZ in Voetbal International, anyone interested in a translation?

18. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. 14084

Earnest has made a transfer of Mendes Da Silva to Salzburg.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Would DaMarcus Beasley be a good fit for Stewart's new team?

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Michael Bradley went for $60K.

Lalas just gave him away (though, it could have been part of the agremeent with Bob too).

The U-20 Eredivisie minimum is usually at 50% of the senior minimum and it's good for 2 years.

With Heerenveen, Gert Verbeek played at attacking 4-4-2 where both wings (Pranjic and Beerens mostly) pushed the ball up on wide. Mikey played in the Y-midfield spot and crashed the box on pretty much every possession but didn't handle (dribble) the ball all that much centrally.

So, Beez wouldn't have been a good fit then.

Now?

It depends on whom Earnie sells and buys.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Red Bulls fan, this "transfer" still enrages me.

There was a sell-on clause though. However, when he was finally sold to BMG, MLS didn't apply the 2/3 rule (because the original transfer was before it???) and the Red Bulls got an unknown allocation.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I am pretty certain it was a wink-wink-nudge-nudge deal with Bob.

I doubt anyone saw Mikey as being a future USMNT stalwart when he was only 18.

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree. It was kind of a "sorry we fired you, we don't want your son hanging around being pissed off, oh look, a Euro team wants him" deal.

25. In order to keep the interest alive for the players Romero, Dembele and Mounir El Hamdaoui the decision was made to keep them out of the selection for the Euro League qualifying matches. They would be less attractive if they couldnot be used in the UEFA CL or Euro League by the buyer.