Early guess at the 2010 World Cup roster?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by lawrenceterp, Oct 24, 2006.

1. lawrenceterp

lawrenceterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Virginia
    Does anyone care to take an early guess on what our team will look like? I'm fairly new to following soccer so I don't have a good idea (other then the younger guys who were on this past year's team). I'd love to see some early roster projections from the more knowledgeable fans.

2. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    23 names off the top of my head? Hopefully we can have a roster something like this:

GK:
    Howard
    Cannon
    Pickens

DF:
    Gibbs
    Onyewu
    Bocanegra
    Spector
    Cherundolo
    Bornstein
    Conrad

MF:
    Mastroeni
    Dempsey
    Beasley
    Convey
    Donovan
    Mapp
    Clark
    Adu
    Olsen

FW:
    E. Johnson
    Ching
    Rolfe
    Jaqua

I know I left out a lot of people's favorite young stars, and the roster is a bit more MLS-slanted than some fans would like to see, but I think this could shake out. Obviously, there are 50 or 100 guys who have at least some shot at making it right now. I think its just too early to tell.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeepers:
    Tim Howard
    Joe Cannon
    Brad Guzan

Defenders:
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Oguchi Onyewu
    Cory Gibbs
    Steve Cherundolo
    Jonathan Spector
    Heath Pearce
    Jimmy Conrad

Midfielders:
    Clint Dempsey
    Ricardo Clark
    Pablo Mastroeni
    Bobby Convey
    DaMarcus Beasley
    Benny Feilhaber
    Justin Mapp
    Freddy Adu

Forwards:
    Landon Donovan
    Eddie Johnson
    Taylor Twellman
    Kenny Cooper
    Chris Rolfe

Close Calls: Michael Bradley, Troy Perkins, Josmer Altidore, Jay DeMerit, Brian Ching

Obviously there's a long way to go, and plenty of other guys have lots of time to make a move.

We won't know too much until a new coach starts calling players in and we start to see which guys he prefers. For example, a guy like Mapp has lots of fans and lots of detractors. Whoever the next coach is may fall into either category.

4. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    GK: Howard, Adin Brown, Guzan
    Def: Onyewu, Spector, Gibbs, Boca, Nate Sturgis, Boswell, Dolo, Pearce
    Mid: Adu, Dempsey, Convey, Donovan, Bradley, Feilhaber, Clark, Mapp
    Forward: Cooper, Altidore, Zimmerman, Rolfe

Forwards are the least determinable at this point. I'm also thinking Beasley does not make it.

5. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    GK Howard, Hahnemann, Guzan

D Spector, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Gibbs, Pearce, Wynne, Cherundolo, DeMerit

M Bradley, Feilhaber, Donovan, Adu, Convey, Beasley, Clark, Dempsey, Altidore

F Casey, Kirk, Cooper

I bet I'm at least 50% and no more than 75% correct.

I left Conrad and Mastroeni off - Mastroeni may not even have a roster spot under many coaches, and he's battling more talented, younger alternatives. Conrad is just too slow, and we have too many CB options - he'll be a liability no matter what, and we have talent at that position.

6. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'll take a stab at it what the hell.

GK Howard
    GK Hahnemann
    GK Wild Card (A current (2006) U-20/U-17 brought for the experience)

Defenders (8):
    Onyewu
    Gibbs
    Cherundolo
    Spector
    Pearce
    Bornstein
    ---
    Last 2 on the roster:
    Wynne
    DeMerit

Midfielders (8)
    Dempsey
    Adu
    Feilheiber
    Mapp
    Convey
    Bradley
    --
    Last 2 on the Roster:
    Beasley
    Clark

Forwards (4)
    Donovan
    Altidore
    Cooper
    ----
    Last to make the Roster:
    Jemal Johnson

Last 3 players cut from the roster:
    Mastroeni
    Eddie Johnson
    Taylor Twellman

I think that the new manager is going to take a mix of experience in the center of defense, and take a couple of fliers on talented but unproven players (see: Altidore, Wynne) and play aggressively ala 2002 rather than passively with all established players (see 2006).

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GK: Howard, Hahnemann, Cannon

D: Onyewu, Gibbs, Bocanegra, Spector, Cherundolo, Pearce, Demerit, Wynne

M: Adu, Dempsey, Convey, Beasley, Feilhaber, Bradley, Mastroeni, Mapp

F: Cooper, Donovan, Rolfe, Altidore

The interesting picks:

hahnemann; not too many other US keeps play in the EPL these days, and i dont imagine he'll go quietly into the night at Reading in the next 4 years.

wynne; it was his rookie year and he's got another 3 and a half seasons to build on it. That is speed you just cannot deny. He is a pure shut down defender in nature. Obviously the downfalls are his crossing abilities and first touch. But thats what Cherundolo and Spector are for. If we are called on to require a pure speedy shut down wing he is the closest thing. Last defender to make the roster

mastroeni; ive said it before ill say it again, Mastroeni will be 34 and going strong next go around. Pablo shuts people down, thats what he's about and he has no signs of slowing up on that at all. Bradley makes it very very interesting though. itll be close. Both make the team easy but starting position is going to be fun fun fun!

Mapp; i was tinkering between him and Q Kirk with my last pick. This one will be close too and i think Mapp goes because he can play anywhere on the offensive side of the ball, INCLUDING the right. Insurance for Dempsey. Not too defensive minded mind you, but its something he can work on

Altidore; last one to make the roster due to a great showing in the MLS and performs well with the MLS nats to sneak into that last fourth forward spot, insurance for Cooper.

just missed; Kirk, Bornstein, Twellman, Ching, Guzan

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh dang Tigerpunk that is a good point i didnt even think of that. thats going with my own philosophy of what would happen too with the older players. Even a talent like Mastroeni is probably expendable in bringing in the new order no matter what unfortunately. Bradley is therefore the man at destroyer now.

Therefore i change my pick from Mastro to Clark. As much love as i have for Mastro i dont think its going to be happening now, and as much as i want to bring Kirk along we need insurance at destroyer and Clark is more than a capable up and comer by the look sof things.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    its crazy to do a prediction list now... especially when we still have a lot of young kids scattered all over Europe and MLS... example I havent seen one mention of Dax McCarthy or Robbie Rogers, McCarthy has been the best u20 player this year, and Rogers has jus made a move to Heerenven and has impressed... most of the squads mentioned resemble the WC squad of this year... lets give it some time, imo... or Johann Smith, who got in for Bolton yesterday in the League Cup...

10. MGB FC

MGB FC New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    NY
    Donovan would definitely be a forward as far as I'm concerned. It's where he's excelled and is excelling now.

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally stay out of these threads, but i will hitch my wagon and come back in 4 years to see how close i came.

Altidore
    Cooper
    Zimmerman
    Donovan

Adu
    Convey
    Dempsey
    Bradley
    Fielhaber
    McCarty
    Beasley
    Clark

Gibbs
    Bocanegra
    Onweyu
    Wynne
    Rogers
    Spector

Howard
    Guzan
    Pickens

Ill be happy if i hit 30%

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of now, here's my 23 with alternates prediction

Roster-
    GK-
    Howard lock
    Pickens if he keeps improving than he will become a great keeper...i see more potential in him than Perkins and Guzan. My prediction is that he'll win the best GK award next year (or a least a serious candidate).
    Reis a little more sustained than Cannon...who i can see blowing a lead by one of his crazy plays. Reis seems to be the keeper that should be a reliable number two GK behind Howard.

DF-
    Cory Gibbs if he can stay healthy...he should be a lock.
    Bobby Boswell I'm suprised more people don't mention him. he was the best defender in MLS for a reason. yeah, he might not be the flashiest, but he makes very few mistakes.
    Jonathan Spector Is he hurt again? i know he was starting for awhile, but then i haven't seen his name on the roster for a couple weeks now. either way, i expect him to be on the roster if healthy.
    Oguchi Onyewu lock, but leave Standard NOW!!!
    Jonathan Bornstein some might disagree, but he has all the tools plus a good workrate. i'll be the first to say it...LOCK
    Marvell Wynne Cherundolo i expect to be the Pope, Agoos, and Burns of 2010...so i hope Wynne can cut the mustard.
    Jay DeMerit It was between him and Pearce, and i decided to go with DeMerit because i think he'll be more motivated in the world cup.

MF-
    Bobby Convey is he hurt? either way, he SHOULD be on the roster unless he DMBs on us.
    Benny Fielhaber hopefully, we are seeing of what's to come...and hopefully he'll surpass Reyna's and O' Brien's legacy as our holding mid type player (just stay healthy!).
    Michael Bradley getting more and more playing time, by 2010 i expect him to be a key player for a good European team...and will be a key figure for the nats.
    Clint Dempsey I have high expectations.
    Ricardo Clark He has the potential to be twice the player Mastroeni could ever have dream of.
    Pablo Mastroeni i expect him to be the leader of our players...just he needs to learn how to be smarter on the tackle. otherwise, he should be cut.
    Freddy Adu should be a lock and possibly our best player. the question is where will he be playing...i'm thinking he'll bump Donovan up top as a forward.
    Justin Mapp he would be a lock, but the new coach needs to sit down with him and give him a list of expectations...such as 1) be able to play 120 minutes and then some. in other words, the coach needs to run his ass in the ground. 2) consistency. If he can't meet the expecations, he should be cut despite the potential.

FW-
    Landon Donovan i see Adu pushing him up, and if Mapp can reach his potential than we should be covered in the AM position. Also, this way he focus simply on attacking.
    Chris Rolfe i like Rolfe. granted, he was hurt a lot this season...but i just see a soccer version of "Rudy" in this kid.
    Kenny Cooper he just needs to learn how to play the target forward role, and we'll be set.
    Josmer Altidore yeah, yeah...i know what most of you are going to say, but i'm looking four years down the road...and i think Altidore will keep improving at a level that his potential can't be ignored.
    Nate Jaqua The Jaqua/Rolfe combination could be a deadly one in 2010. Plus, i wanted to see another big forward to back up Cooper in the roster. However, he'll definately need to pick up his performance...can he do it? with the proper coaching, he should be able to.

Alternates-
    GK-
    Cannon-Crazy Cannon could easily make the roster, but i'm not going to count on it.
    Guzan Guzan could also easily make the roster, but i see Reis as more of the reliable number two and i think Pickens will be the better keeper by 2010.

DF-
    Dunivant- for once, i think we'll be stocked at LB for 2010. and i don't see him cutting the mustard, but i think he'll be a reliable alternate.
    Pearce- the Guatemala game kind of ruined it for me with him, but he definately has a lot of potential. he should make some noise for the position.
    Marshall he should be a lock, but i question his workrate.
    Sturgis is in no way really battling for a spot, but with injuries i think he would be a reliable backup.
    Bocanegra not knocking his 2006 performance, but i see him getting slower and slower in four years. in other words, Berhalter 2.

MF-
    Beasley What a crying shame Beasley turned out to be. I expect him to fade away. and only made the alternate list because he should have been one of our best players in 2010.
    Carroll- a reliable backup, but i don't see him in any way contesting with the guys on the roster.
    Davis he would be perfect if he was on the right side, but we have so much talent on that left side that he's only an alternate.
    Quaranta a year ago, i would have expected him just to fade away, but i'm expecting big things from him next year with LA. Reason why is because i think he'll get more playing time and more responsibility to lead the team.

FW-
    E. Johnson- he SHOULD be on the roster, but not scoring goals isn't going to do that.
    Eskandarian he could be on the roster, but it'll depend on if he can step up his play on the international level.
    Twellman he will and should get chances with the team...but he's going to have to earn a right to be on the team this time.
    Barrett A broke man's Wayne Rooney, but he needs to leave Chicago. If he were to leave Chicago, i could see him really blossom into a great player. He's young so don't count him out just yet.
    Smith will he become a regular first teamer for Bolton? i don't know. Hopefully, Anelka will meet most people's expectations (a crybaby that will complain his way to the bench) and he'll make the most of all his chances with the first team that Bolton have no other choice but give him more PT.

Close but no cigar-
    GK-
    Perkins I could be wrong, and he could push to make the team...but i see him not being able to ste up to the plate... i hope i'm wrong.
    Hahnemann too old.
    Keller too old.

DF-
    Sarkodie too young.
    Cherundolo my predicition to follow the legacy of Pope 06, Agoos 02, and Burns 98. hopefully, he'll prove me wrong or the coach will nip him in the but.
    Gros could make the alternate list.
    Burciaga "

MF-
    Noonan other players will push him out.
    Gaven needs to pick it up...could not only make the alternate list, but actually make the roster if he picks his performance up
    Kljestan could be an alternate and a reliable backup, but our MF is pretty stocked.
    Beckerman he's fighting an uphill battle
    Nguyen he'll need to crack the first team
    Szetela needs to stay healthy.
    Rogers needs to crack the first team
    McCarty he seems to be one of the best players for the 20s but needs to get more 1st team games
    Nakazawa we'll see how he does when he turns pro
    Holden i love his workrate, but he's fighting an uphill battle.
    Kirk one of the most uncoordinated soccer players i've seen, but he's young so you never know.

FW-
    J. Johnson two goals in two games for Wolverhampton had most of us excited, but he hasn't scored since.
    Ching too old and too slow.
    Buddle- has the potential, but i don't think he'll be able to cut it.
    Gomez i'll wait till he's tested on the national level before i slam the door, but i don't think he's that good.
    Cunningham it'd be great if he could keep it up, but at 33, i doubt it. Casey he'll have to do something at Mainz to get more attention on the national level.
    Alvarez he has the potential, but i don't know if he has the mental strength to reach his potential
    Zimmermann probably too young.
    Davies wait to see how he does on the pro level
    Ochoa some might be excited about it because he plays in the Mexican league, but i honestly don't see that the Mexican league is better than MLS. so unless he starts banging in goals in the bundles, he doesn't cut the mustard. Also, i worry about him Guadarrma on us and switch nationalities.

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I hope to hit 50% with these "top 33 candidates":

GKs:

Howard
    Brown
    Guzan
    Keller
    Cronin
    Pickens

Defenders:

Wynne
    Spector
    Cherundolo
    Onyewu
    Gibbs
    Demerit
    Califf
    Boswell
    Pearce

Midfielders

Convey
    Dempsey
    Mapp
    Adu
    Feilhaber
    Bradley
    Kljestan
    McCarthy
    Donovan
    Clark

Forwards:

Cooper
    Eddie Johnson
    Jemal Johnson
    Smith
    Jaqua
    Davies
    Rogers

16. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Add Chris Seitz at keeper

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I'm going with an agressive list:

Forwards:
    Altidore, Rolfe, Donovan, Cooper, Davies.

Forward is a position you can risk on inexperience so I'm going with class and potential over the likes of Ching, EJ, and Twellman. No forward with questionable technical skills or athletic ability is making my list.

I could see an Eddie Gaven or Johann
    Smith breaking through.

Midfielders:
    Bradley, Beasley, Mapp, Feilhaber, Deuce, Adu, Kljestan

Pretty easy list with the midfielders. Only one or two current pros like a
    Szetela is in the same class as these guys. I don't see anyone not a pro right
    now making it. I'm expecting Beasley to return to his normal self once he's fully rested and recovered. If not, then a Convey can replace him.

Defenders:
    Bornstein, Gibbs, Bocanegra, Ugo, Gooch, Spector, Wynne, Clark

GK:
    Howard, Guzan, Cannon

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hey ... did I leave Chinger off? (shame on me)

Despite my omission, I think he'll be a more likely candidate than someone like Altidore or anyone not in the U-20 set-up right now.

But if someone makes a jump to a decent Euro league/squad, they'd be jumping to the top of my list as well.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    BTW, has anyone noticed that none of these 2010 squads included DaMarcus Beasley?

And that's despite the fact that he was pretty serviceable when he played his true (and only) left mid position at this World Cup.

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Got beez on my squad.

21. eplkewell

eplkewell Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I had Beasley in my squad.

22. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting XI

GK: Howard

RB: Wynne
    CD: Gooch
    CD: Gibbs
    LB: Spector

DM: Mastro
    RM: Dempsey
    LM: Convey
    AM: Adu

FW: Cooper
    FW: Donovan

Bench:
    GKs: Hahnemann, Brown
    DEF: Dolo, Boca, Demerit, Pearce
    MF: Clark, Feilhaber, Beasly, Mapp
    FW: EJ, JJ

Close Calls:
    GK: Cannon, Perkins, Guzan, Westberg-any of the 4 could really move into the 2nd or 3rd string keeper slots though

DEF: Bornstein, Califf, Conrad, Dunivant, Boswell, Marshall-any of these guys would do fine coming off the bench I would think in 2010, but won't challange for a starting spot.

MF: Bradley, Kljestan, McCarthy, Gaven- out of these guys only see Bradley, challanging for a WC spot, Gaven needs to make a big turnaround quick, and the other two are too unproven.

FW: Rolfe, Casey, Jaqua, Altidore, Davies, Rogers- Can see maybe Rolfe and Casey fighting for a spot, don't think Jaqua has enough and the others are too young for this cycle.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I still don't think he'll make it but he probably should be one of the last 33.

And you never know, he may get to a decent level of play after knocking in Europe for a few more years.

On the other hand, if his PSV contract runs out this year and MLS scoops him up on a free, then he is as good as done.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate it as much as anyone because Beasley use to be one of my favorite players, but i just see him regressing more and more. Plus, with guys like Convey, Bornstein, Pearce, Mapp, Dempsey, Adu, Bradley, Fielhaber, Rogers, Nguyen, and company i just see Beasley not being able to compete with any of those guys. His touch is just too poor and he's one athelete that needs to stop at McDonalds every time he sees one.