"Early" Commitments, Decommitments

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Let me re-phrase this for you and perhaps you'll stop putting words in my mouth.

Notre Dame does not grant financial awards based solely on academic performance. Other schools do. If a billionaire's kid is off the charts academically there are scholarships at other institutions that student would still be eligible to receive. Financial need is a non-factor. That same student would not receive an award based exclusively on academics at Notre Dame.

Any assertions of anti-intellectualism are purely inferred rather than implied.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we descend further and further down the rabbit hole...

The main problem (imo) isn't whether or not ND gives purely academic/merit scholarships. It is that a poster suggested telling 13-14 yr olds w/ a weighted 4.0 (so A's&B's w/ honors/AP) that they shouldn't focus on improving grades to get more As because if they spent that time playing soccer instead of studying, that kid would be better off getting aid from basically 6 schools. That ignores the paucity of roster spots at those few schools. And ignores the potential for injury/career end. To say nothing about the message it sends about sports over academics or sliding by in class vs applying ones self, etc.

3. ZoroTheSlacker

ZoroTheSlacker A Sophomore Dad

Feb 12, 2012
    Its the majority of the schools a great soccer player with a GPA above the bar want to go. I don't like it either, but it is the reality that NCAA varsity sports with the min grade requirementes will get this kid more than very top grades and lessor sports resume. Did I say they should't focus on improving grades? I think I said - if they want money they should bump up the soccer resume. And only for those with strong GPAs already. I was also talking to adults - I thought. And at the schools where these kids want to go - grades will rarely get them any money. Grades (and test scores) will allow them to be admitted.

One example that is published. http://www.soccernation.com/guide-to-harvard-cms-1674
    "Harvard's Mike Calise: I think Harvard Admission does a great job of taking into account the entire applicant, so we’re looking at 3.5 or above GPA, solid SAT scores, ACTs in the 30+ range."
    "Harvard's Mike Calise: We’re looking for everything. Great players."

So if a kid with a 3.5ish can do any school if they want her for soccer, why not be sure they are wanted for soccer?