Dynamo Stadium News VIII: TSU Agrees to Become Tenant

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.GB

Mr.GB New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Katy
    I found one on Ebay the other day and it was located in Dallas! I wondered if FC Frisco has stolen them.....

2. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    HAS to be a stadium.... JUST has to be...

Joe news wouldnt be that BIG...
    an 85k seat stadium with a retractable roof, giant screens and real palm trees would be BIG!!

...or at least a 22k seat partial roof stadium with palm trees...

3. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see it being the stadium, with all the parties involved word would have to have leaked out somehow. It would have to be on the county agenda, for example, wouldn't it? It's probably a new sponsor or something. The F.O.'s idea of big sometimes isn't the same as ours. And this one wasn't even announced to the public as "watch for a big announcement" it was just mentioned to some friends.

But I'm still hoping big time....

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that Italian newspaper is to be believed it will be the agreement of all parties to Clark's transfer at the end of the season to Livorno for $5m. I refer to the posting in the Clark Thread.

5. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would doubt if it were an announcement about the stadium. The announcement is apparently being made by Garber, and the stadium is strictly a Houston deal. Protocol would undoubtedly require that such an announcement be done locally and include the representatives from County and City.

6. NDS10

NDS10 Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2010 All Star Game in Houston . . .

7. BerlinTexas

BerlinTexas Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm glad to have the All-Star game here in town, but doesn't this event usually go to someone with a new stadium in place. It kinda seems like putting the cart before the horse. I wonder if this is part of the deal sweetening?

8. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how a MLS All-Star game at Reliant encourages the county to get their ass in gear and approve the deal. Unless of course people are suggesting that if they see 50,000 people show up for a Club America vs MLS All-Stars game, then they'll see the benefits of a new stadium but that would require waiting till August of 2010 before they vote on it. Of course, that wouldn't surprise me at this point but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

9. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck if it's held at Robertson it's a negative. "See? If Robertson's good enough for the All-Star game, it's good enough for the Dynamo to stay there."

10. Dynamo442

Dynamo442 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Houston, Tejas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harris County owns Reliant Stadium

11. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the theory being that since Harris County is going to get some direct revenue from MLS, they'll be more inclined to get the downtown stadium moving? I guess I see the logic in that although I wonder just how much of a motivator that will be for the county.

12. Dynamo442

Dynamo442 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Houston, Tejas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what motivates our politicos. I am sure that certain figures in City and County government strongly despise each other, and getting them to play nice together is a tall order even for a guy as smooth and well connected as OL.

A little bit of money moving into County coffers couldn't hurt the cause. It could even be a quid pro quo to get someone off dead center. But the Dynamo seem to be playing a bit part at this point (allstar game not withstanding.) There's one individual who's every public comment has sounded non-plused, unhurried as if the cards in his hand say: "you're in charge"

It's complete bullshit, aka Harris County Politics. The Dynamo and our stadium are just pieces on a game board. You'll get on your knees and kiss the ring or you'll never get what you want. One certainty in my mind - this has nothing to do with dotting i's and crossing t's. If it's a quid pro quo and nobody changes the rules in the interim, then it should appear on the County agenda very soon - if not then MLS comes off looking desparate.

I wonder about the wisdom of the Dynamo spending a dime on design fees at this point because a stubborn HC Comissioner with an axe to grind only becomes more powerful the further over the barrell they become. Their money would be better spent on a trip to St. Louis and who could blame them? A little firestorm of people asking WTF! might be more effective than a lot of steppin' and fetchin'.

This is my reasoning at work, lest anyone believe I have some inside knowledge - I don't.

13. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The bold part is something I've been thinking about...sometimes i wish the team would put the balance and build the stadium with the city. I still think we're under-utilizing some public influence and we can use the media better in our favor.

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea as well. It makes sense and is true to the original plan. My understanding is that Mayor White decided he would only go forward if the county participated. Then he approached the county in a way designed to fail. I believe intentionally. I believe White decided doing the Stadium was not wise for his Statewide ambitions and needed a way to have it stall as someone else's fault.

16. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    we should have t-shirts, a real grass roots thing

on front

white-say yes to the stadium

on back

or we'll say no to Congress

17. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Mods, this long A** thread is way over 400 now. Can we start a part VIIII. Thanks.

18. BennyScrap

BennyScrap Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave, just thought you should know it's IX after VIII. And this DOES need the next version!

19. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States