News: Dynamo Stadium News VII: Prelim Designs Shown on KHOU

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by cskerlecz, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium News VII: Negotiations going well, vote on 1/27 or 2/10

Naming rights mainly for marketing? Shhhh. The grownups are talking.

2. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it is badass, there is a guy leaving on a moped.

3. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    A badass moped...that will probably be orange one the final rendering of the moped are approved.

4. houston_gunner

houston_gunner New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston
    and trees grow out of the cement there.

5. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    BREAKING NEWS: Fox 26's Mark Berman just reported the Dynamo have reached a deal with TSU for the stadium. TSU will pay all of its 30-year rent in one up-front payment.

This probably seals the county's vote in our favor.

Can you say....Done Deal!?!

6. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seen it!

From MyFoxHouston.com:

Here's what is left in the TSU/Dynamo deal:
    Also, here's the article from Dynamoplanet.com. H-Town's all up on it like Hooked On Phonics, yo!

Nothing's finalized yet, but it is one step closer. After they finish up the TSU/Dynamo deal, let's hope that the agenda is on the next County Commissioners' meeting...

7. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is the $2.5 million the one time, up front payment for the duration of the 30 year lease? If so, that's a hell of a deal for TSU.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what it sounds like, although I would not be surprised if it is a $2.5 deferred payment over time to lower the present value. TSU aint exactly overflowing with cash.

The $2.5M probably won't cover the lifetime maintenance on the field for fixing it up after TSU games and won't cover the damages to the stadium and seating after the annual brawls and riots that will break out during a Battle of the Bands contest at halftime of a TSU game (I love the footage of a guy using a trumpet as a weapon).

At least the Dynamo can calculate what the actual monetary cost or loss was for being able to get El Franco Lee and Garcia to vote for it.

9. Cooligan

Cooligan New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $2.5 million dollars for a 30-year lease seems awfully cheap for TSU. I think that the Dynamo are getting a bad deal here.

I hope that since the Dynamo are the primary tenant this time rather than the secondary tenant like at Robertson that we still have enough control to demand that the football lines are removed for Dynamo games otherwise I don't see the point of this exercise other than a very expensive way to get better game scheduling control. That's my main concern.

10. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is the point:

11. freshpow21

freshpow21 Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Regardless of whether TSU is here or not..if I was the Dynamo's stadium management I would not budge on extra lines on the field. American football or anything else.

Let me tell you guys something...if I see any sh*tty TSU football lines or crappy mascot graphics at midfield I will go freakin apes**t! That is a promise!!

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's still not the point. The point really is this: El Franco Lee, and Sylvia Garcia, who have final say on whether the stadium will be done in its current deal, are TSU alumni.

That's why the Dynamo brought TSU on board over a year ago.

13. bogey55

bogey55 Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Kingwood, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a sweet deal for TSU. I would glady pay $2.5 mil to lease a 22,000 capacity stadium for 30+ years using it roughly 5-6 times per year. That's about $83,000 per year or about $15,000 per event. I would just need to profit $2 per person per event at to rake in well over $1 million per year. Where can I sign up?

14. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

$15,000 per event to lease the stadium - but can they really make any kind of profit on attendance?

If they're anything like UofH - students get in free, so you'd have to sell at least $15,000 worth of tickets. They probably make their money on the broadcast end of the deal.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be honest with you and tell you as a life long Houstonian and massive college gridiron fan I have never been to a TSU home game nor ever seen a TSU home game on TV.

However favorable that deal looks on the outside, to us as Dynamo junkies...I am certain that this first and last payment TSU is going to make is alot of money to them and alot of money for them to have to recoup over the years.

But EL Franco and Sylvia the Cvnt are satisfied so who cares. We'll get what we wanted.

16. bogey55

bogey55 Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Kingwood, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or concessions.

The point was nobody outside of TSU could lease the stadium at this kind of bargain. Anyone/organization could make huge profits leasing a 22,000 stadium at $15,000 per event. I'd love that opportunity!

If it gets this thing built, then I am all for it! Win/win situation.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep - obviously the TSU aspect is a political deal - which is perfectly ok by me if in the 2011 season we are all sitting in a brand new stadium downtown.

But we gotta have some palm trees.

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can always get the ones from Blackpool back if need be :D

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad you guys are having better luck with your stadium.

20. houstonranger

houstonranger Member

Jan 25, 2006
    H town
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind the TSU thing, and I don't think we as supporters should too.

At the end of the day we are helping out an educational institute in Houston, so its not a bad thing at all...

The important thing is to the get the stadium done, and we should even feel good that we can help along a proud institution that needs all the support it can get.

There are probably some marketing and PR tie-ins that will be useful down the road as well...

Its all good

21. katom

katom New Member

Mar 15, 2007
    stuttgart
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can't degift... unless of course they tried to regift

22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    As far as football lines are concerned, of course they are going to have to be painted on for game. My guess is that the Dynamo will have complete controll over how intricate the endzones will be and if there will be any decal painted at midfield.

If I had to guess, any football lines wouldn't be much more than a typical high school game would require (yard markers, and field outline). Those would be a lot easier to wash off, and with some creative scheduling, There may not be any conflicts whatsover.

23. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw the man on 26 last night at first I was mad, he was talking about our new stadium like it was his, how great it was going to be for TSU and all, but then I realized he really was talking about how nice OUR stadium is going to be, and I thought, he it's all good.... :cool:

24. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we'd just pay it all out of pocket and tell TSU to go fly a f'ing kite

25. houstonranger

houstonranger Member

Jan 25, 2006
    H town
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we negotiated along these lines then for one reason or another the stadium would not get built

Be happy with what you have, its a very minor inconvenience, if even one at all...