News: Dynamo Stadium News VII: Prelim Designs Shown on KHOU

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by cskerlecz, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    i guessing we wouldnt be seeing these unless they have a done deal? correct

2. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree with you that an open concourse would be a good to control the summer time temps. But shading the area while keeping the area open enough for breezes to flow through would be the ideal design. Using Teflon set out far enough appears to be the solution the Dynamo aiming for, based on these renderings.

And it isnt a bad idea either. It would be a much cheaper solution then building an inclosed, air-conditioned concourse that would require the use of much more building materials. The Tampa Bay Rays recently explored the use of a Teflon-covered retractable-roofed (or sail) for their proposed St. Petersburgh ballpark rather then a full on metal roof, which would have been much more expensive. Think of this Teflon-covered concourse as like an umbrella or even a straw-cabana roof....it shades you, yet it lets the breeze flow in to cool you. Its a smart, cost-friendly idea by the Dynamo that will really improve the fan experience without having to break the bank

3. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I hear those are real fun in hurricanes

4. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    But here's why Teflon still wins....even against the threat of hurricanes

1. When a hurricane tears apart the Teflon, it would inflict virtually no damage on the rest of the stadium's sub-structure because of how light the fabric is. Ex. See Reliant after Ike. When the Bird-Air fabric roof was torn off the roof's structure, did it inflict any damage on the rest of the stadium. Answer: No

2. It will be easy to replace because of how cheap the material is.

5. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teflon FTW!

6. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    This stadium plan is great news for Houston fans. Let's be realistic about the economic situation. There will be no more Home Depot's or Red Bull Arenas for several years. But all soccer fans really need is a good view of the match and easy access to libations. Let's earn luxorious stadiums by turning out in droves. To my thinking the deal with TSU (which I assume is a historically black college) is the sort of partnership that will establish Dynamo as a solid corporate citizen of Houston.

By the way, as a DCU fan who attended the MLS chamionship game at RFK two years ago, I left verty impressed by the Houston fans. You made RFK your home venue that day.

7. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So did the TIRZ 15 make the agenda for Tuesday?

8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not this time.

Patience is a virtue.

9. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved the TSU talk to other discussions and the design talk involving the Aussie stadium to the design thread. Lets keep the talk in here strictly discussing announced news about the stadium and take speculation and ideas to the design or other discussions. I will try and do a better job of keeping news talk in here so the thread does not grow quite so quickly in the future.

10. rocker

rocker New Member

Dec 15, 2006
    get it done and then expand 5 years after it opens.
    look at all those English clubs who expanded their stadiums one stand at a time over 30-50 years. If it's not too complex or solid, you actually have an opportunity to knock a side down or build another deck over it later when the money is available.

I mean, Newcastle took this little guy:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Newcastle.jpg

kept the two stands, and added that massive addition on the other two sides.

http://www.soccerfiesta.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/st-james-park-newcastle.jpg

It's better to do that then build some ready made solid stadium that can't ever be modified. Cuz even those stadiums start to grow old and people want change (look at Skydome/Rogers Centre in Toronto... that stadium can't ever be added to.. it reflects a lamentable period in stadium design, and there's grumblings about it).

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    we have a tendency to do that during the playoffs

12. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK, here' some more news......mods, are you ready to change the headline?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/02/dynamo_stadium.php

So there ya go....although with prelim designs, this was expected. But "not having selected an architect?" Not sure if I believe this (cuase of the stage in which negotiations are in) or if true, what to make of it.

But there is one lil' piece of optimistism......take a looksy below!

13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they said something like that about a year or so ago, that there was no design and no architect, and they would have to wait until they got approval for them to pick one. But I would think that they do have both an architect and a design ready to go, just maybe not officially signed and working.

14. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, maybe it will have a roof! So, time to e-mail the city again???

15. renee09

renee09 New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Houston
    where's the jumbo screen!

16. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this to be the most interesting thing in the article, Other than the whole "yeah it wont look like that" bit. I guess that means they're looking for better airflow and shading? I suppose short of a dome those are the only two options to keep the temperature under control.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why show a preliminary design if it isn't really preliminary since you haven't hired anyone to design it yet? It would have been cheaper to go get some kids and hire them to build a Lego model.

So, if I read it correctly, we got a sneak peek at an irrelevant design?

18. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know... I keep wondering if people are reading too much into what was on 11. I was excited when they showed it, but after looking at it a lot it seems to me it's almost like somebody punched in "22,000 seats" into a stadium program and out popped that model. I don't see anything very specific in it, and all the views look so different they're almost of different stadiums. People keep seeing teflon sides and roofs, all sorts of things, I just see a bunch of seats. And we always knew there would be a transit station next to it, so that little picture of the train was a given. The words Oliver Luck used to describe the stadium are a little more specific, but most of us could have guessed all that too--not fancy, fan friendly, good restrooms and concessions.

I won't be happy till the day (maybe very soon?) when they announce the plans and show actual drawings and models.... :cool:

19. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium News VII: Negotiations going well, vote on 1/27 or 2/10

Just could resist....

Stadium naming rights: Frivolous? Or good marketing?
    Apparently after the bank bail out they have money to blow on naming rights...

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A lot of people in NY want them to give up their rights to the stadium name, like Enron.

And on that theme, remember when we kept making suggestions for jersey sponsors? Maybe it's time to start a thread on stadium naming rights.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Citigroup made this deal back in 2006, years before the bailout.

And I don't see how advertising is "blowing" money. Ken Hoffman seems to have made the same mistake in his columns. He often complains about how he sees lots of commercials for companies that are losing money. Duh. Advertising is not something you do because you have lots of money, it's something you do when you want to make more money.

22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. OrangeTica

OrangeTica Member

Nov 30, 2007
    213/214 beeches
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

This is true, however they are actually trying to get out of the deal though due to the economic situation they’re goin thru…. Like newtex stated, that deal was done in ‘06 back when they werent in that turmoil

…..i dont care about the naming rights, just get it built already!...i mean, will it affect ticket prices or the fans? naming rights main goal is suppose to be just for marketing reasons right?....dont think the fans have to worry about that too much...

..and yeah…about the “design for the stadium”….heard the 1560 soccer show….someone said on there, no one is going to actually know how its going to look until it gets done, true ..... however it ends up, we will orange that beech up in no time. La barra de Houston esta lista....:cool:

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Based on that photo, I will go out on a limb and say that your stadium is going to be very pimp. Not just because it's going to be orange either. It looks like there could be some sort of roof structure. Two complete bowls. Downtown location. Anyone who's complaining needs a swift kick in the nuts.