Dynamo Stadium News IX: Groundhog Day 9.0

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by flippin269, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    hahah-AEG still has delivered on the promised STH plaque from the first year into the second. Seattle didn't even finish their first season and they had one up on the side of Qwest.

Lifetime memberships-hahaha

2. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the STH plaque was always supposed to be for our new stadium?

3. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for this approval, EFL wants something for him. Hopefully that won't count as more/new tax revenue that Parker does not want.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually thought that all along. They'll put some PSL or other fee on club seats and then try to sell PSLs on the midfield seats.

Now, they'll be cheap compared to NFL PSLs, but they can still raise some money and basically lock-in STHs by selling them PSLs.

On Parker's comments in that article, it comes down to if she feels that city has done all it can already by buying later or if they won't participate in the TIRZ - I know it sounds like she is supporting the TIRZ but that is actually a form of taxpayer dollars going to the stadium (we can argue semantics but it is tax dollars that the City is foregoing).

Still can't see this high on her list.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think it is semantics. The TIRZ money is money the city is already foregoing and will continue to do so for quite a while. The East Downtown TIRZ 15 already exists and has been collecting money since 1999. It is scheduled to run until 2029. The City cannot use that money for anything except assisting with development within the 66 acre zone.

http://www.houstontx.gov/budget/08budadopt/XIV_TI.pdf

6. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the line we were given, yes.

7. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

We have something sort of like a PSL her in Chicago. Club seat holders were on a contract the first 3 years (now annual), which basically comes with rights of first refusal to buy your same seats weeks/months before tickets to other stadium events go on sale to other STH and the public (concerts, rugby, lacrosse, etc).

Also, as part of our season ticket package in the club section, we get tickets to every Fire game (regular season, USOC, SuperLiga, friendlies, all playoff games at TP) and VIP parking for every two seats purchased.

Maybe the Dynamo could do something similar to set up a Club Seat section at midfield with access to the new stadium's club and right of first refusal to buy your seats for every other event in Dynamo Stadium.

I don't know, maybe y'all already have something like that, but if not maybe it's a good suggestion.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The link to this Chronicle article is tangentially related to the stadium (mentioned a few times in this article), but I think it shows some of the challenges getting the City and the County on the same page. In fact, it kind of augers poorly for a deal, IMO:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6772435.html

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OL was on the Orange Slice last night, it was a good interview. Honestly, I don't remember much about what he said, but the tone was optimistic still, he kept reminding us about the reasons why downtown is the spot we need to be. He was calling in from an event at a place that looked out at the stadium site, and he talked about what a great site it is. The interview lasted 30 minutes I think.

I do remember one point he made, he said it would be in the city's best interest to go ahead and get the project started, since Houston has already spent I forget how much money on the land and it's just sitting there not doing anyone any good.

Every time I listen to OL I get excited about the stadium downtown. Maybe in 4 more years I'll still be excited about what they plan to do.... :rolleyes:

10. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that in effect for the Crossroads Guitar Festival a couple of years ago? I had the good fortune to get onto the floor and the coveted yellow wristband for access to the front of the stage. The only downside was standing for 10 hours.

11. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Yes, Club Seat STH's get prior notification to buy their seats (or floor seats for a concert) before STH's and definitely before tickets for those events open up to the public.

Though I must admit, I didn't go to the Guitar Festival you mentioned. then again I haven't been to to any of the concerts offered at TP. Only time I've used the early access to buy seats was for the USNT v. T&T WCQ before the Hex round.

12. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This seems like a good sign.....

From Twitter:

Dynamo move offices, George R. Brown. Move to take place this wknd, move in on Mon Dec 21. New add:1001 Avenida de las Americas, Ste.200

13. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fallas has a great blog post today, basically telling everyone to calm down, and that Parker's winning doesn't necessarilly mean the end of the stadium.

14. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say it's not so much me being afraid of Parker, It's being afraid of when she finds out that EFL wants what it is he wants, the possible new taxes that it would take for what EFL wants would put more of an against the deal oppinion and she will unwind the deal.

With Locke, there might have been a negotiation till the deal passed or failed. With Parker maybe not so much if at all.

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    more propoganda from the sunny-side faction. do not fall for their tricks. these are the people that wrote the Tony Caig press release. :D

16. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The moving of offices does not mean anything. It could be worse...I mean, who would want to work at the GRB convention center? That's not the first place I think of.

17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There won't be any "new" taxes, the TIRZ is already in place and has been for some years - all of the taxes over and above the rate that was in place prior to the formation of the TIRZ go toward improvements within that TIRZ.

The only thing being asked is for the County to join that TIRZ. Obviously as a good steward of the County, El wants the County to get some benefit from the TIRZ if it joins. That's where I understand the negotiation is. The City has to agree to give the County something in exchange for participating, whether it be assistance from the TIRZ for future projects, fixing up current stuff - or whatever.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is on my line of thinking. A few days ago I mentioned that I didn't think Parker would kill the deal but it just wouldn't be a priority. That still holds, but she's not going to add on to the deal, and I would think she would see any trade for County participation in the TIRZ as "adding on" to the deal.

The land is bought and I have been corrected and they are already participating in the East End TIRZ, so the City has done its part. It's all on how the County decides to participate and how they work with the City or if they ask the City for some type of in-kind donation of housing, jail facility, etc., in return for participating in the TIRZ. If so, this deal is probably not happening.

I think this entire project boils down to City-County relations and their own budgets, which look to be in for some tough times.

19. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Great story about the lies and more lies LOL

Du Nord on Minnesota

20. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

21. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    ah....yes, that explains it. AEG really does have out best interest in mind.

23. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo Seek Advantages of a SSS

Nice summary of the benefits a stadium brings to the Dynamo. A good article to show those "why don't they just use the Astrodome" friends.

24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the article he mentions how registered voters are 2 x 1 opposed to the stadium... it's a good thing it's not up for vote, but it shows there's still a miscommunication between the Dynamo and the stadium backers and the citizens of Houston. Either they're not getting the word out, or the people are turning a deaf ear to what they say. Most people agree it's a good deal, not just Dynamo fans but people in the business community and people in local government (with one or two obvious exceptions). But every time I talk to someone not associated with soccer, they tell me the same thing, that the tax payers will end up paying for it and we don't need it. And sadly, a lot of people that are a little bit into the Dynamo and soccer believe the stadium is already being built.

25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

you could tell these folks until they're blue in the face that Uncle Phil is flipping the majority of the bill and they wouldn't hear it. You could put it on a billboard and get Joel Osteen to preach on it and they still wouldn't get it. Those people will hear what they want to hear. And most just cast it off as another "foreigner thing" and that this country is being taken over guy people who don't speak English and soccer moms.