Dynamo Stadium News IX: Groundhog Day 9.0

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by flippin269, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The news reports I remember seeing was that the option year (2010) would be at a higher lease cost.

2. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't know where to post this, we've sort of lost our way here, but on the mayoral thread they were talking about the Astroworld site still being a good option.
    First of all, Channel 2 is going to have a story about that site tonight on the news, the one thing they've said so far is it's expensive. That can't be good as an alternative to a site that's already paid for.
    But it would be a fantastic spot I think, it's fairly central, it has a metro link, it has huge parking. And something that Glenn in his enthusiasm for the downtown site keeps missing, he says a site away from downtown loses legitimacy, and he includes the Astrodome area when he says that. But being next door to Reliant and the Texans I think makes it legit. It's harder to get to from downtown for the business types, but it's not far. And since most of the games are on weekends, that's not a big problem anyway. But it is a sports area, and it they developed the area around it, the rest of the Astroworld site, it could be fantastic.
    The thing is, I don't see how talking of changing sites to another one inside the city helps, since they already have one that doesn't seem to be working. Maybe getting it out of El Franco Lee's district would help, but maybe the Astroworld site is in his district too?

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The former AstroWorld site sold for a reported $77 million. It is owned by Angel/McIver Interests.

I'd say there is a very, very slight chance of the Dynamo Stadium being built there. And zero chance of the city getting involved at this point.

People just keep bringing it up because it is vacant and close to Reliant. Personally, I classify it with the people who keep bringing up the AstroDome.

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be El's district too

5. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The situation really is getting desperate. Will MLS be in Houston 3 years from now? We need to get this stadium deal done. The club continues to lose $$$ and the big execs are gonna want to relocate just like San Jose.

I'm not trying to sound all doom and gloom here, but anyone who thinks MLS in Houston without a SSS will continue to work is looking through orange-colored glasses.

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Does he run the whole county?

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ok, good. with all the positive pete's posting on here i was beginning to think me, metroag and offebacher were crazy nuts for thinking this deal is dead. welcome to our club of 4 and expect to be beaten down with positive thoughts. :D

8. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we need is a Christmas miracle or a very special Blossom. :D

Sugar Land is looking better and better everytime.

9. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

10. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah i've been trying to get anyone in the know to say anything positive about this at mydynamo.net for some time but to no avail. Now Forever Orange is going on vacation through December and the Dynamo Front Office is moving to the Geoge R Brown CC, so that will keep them busy.

11. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually have a surefire way of ensuring that the downtown stadium deal gets done under the new administration. Two words:

Women's Soccer

If anyone is offended by my humour - TS:D

12. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, moving to the GRB seems like they're expecting a view of their new stadium, huh?

13. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were going to say we should work out a deal to bring back the Comets if we could get a stadium....:D

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You aren't giving me credit for my guarded pessimism!!

And the old Astrodome site and area is not feasible for a number of reasons (Texans won't relinquish control/block everything; County doesn't own old Astroworld site) plus I don't think there are any area school districts building any new stadiums (I might be wrong, but the time for that was 5-6 years ago and the Dynamo missed that window).

I expect the FO to toe the optimistic company line but when Parker is focused on the budget, police, etc., I can't see her doing anything on this other than saying "the City has done its part and won't do anymore so take the deal or move on".

15. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Idon't see her giving EFL what he wants. She just said she will change the Police chief, and the Fire dept will plea to keep there chief.

Man, if I have to pick 1 or the other, I say No Deal.

16. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The glass-half-full part of me wants to believe that this is the reason.

The glass-half-empty part wants to see if the Dynamo still use Lucky's as their official bar in 2010 or if they start having them at a bar in Sugarland.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the Channel 2 piece on the old Astroworld site, they mentioned that the developers had offered the site to Major League Soccer (I think they meant the Dynamo) but nothing progressed. My guess is most of the lack of progression has to do with the price they want for the land - the owners sound like they are trying to flip it and make a profit on the sale without developing it (paid $71 M, asking upwards of $110M).

18. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure your 4th member actually adds any credibility to your agenda. :D

19. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    New stadiums, no, but Katy ISD did just add the new "field turf" to all 6 of their high school stadiums which is used for JV football and High School Soccer. There is money there if you look for it hard enough, but you are right, spending is very tight.

20. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Winstead:
    The Law Firm to the Sports Business & Public Venues Industry, are they still the Attorneys in this?

21. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an article from The Bond Buyer magazine about the "tight ship" that Parker plans for Houston. Some good stuff in there about the specific things she wants to do, as well as a little about her views on the Dynamo Stadium:

22. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    AEG will have to come up with the $10M if they want this thing done downtown with Parker in. Will it be worth it for AEG? Hopefully there is some other kind of tie in (guaranteed MLS All-Star game and MLS Cup, NCAA College Cup) to make up the gap. We will see.

10,000,000/ 7,000 hard core fans/season ticket holders is $1,429 for each fan. Can the Dynamo do some kind of "lifetime" membership? Probably not but I hope someone gets creative.

23. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I understand correctly, the $10 Million short they're talking about is the County and their approval.

24. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS already has dangled the All Star Game carrot, or do you really think we get to host next year because we have the most creative posters on Big Soccer?

Especially with 2 new SSS opening as well. ;)

25. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could be the first MLS team to have PSLs. ;)

P.S. Kidding, Dynamo FO!