News: Dynamo Stadium IV - Downtown deal must be done by end of year

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by flippin269, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's being redone. Stay tuned!

2. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
  3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like she got offended at the 1,836 reasons this East End Dynamo Stadium would be a massive success for redevelopment in that side of town.

4. BCLK

BCLK Member

Apr 25, 2008
  5. mdynamo

mdynamo New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Thanks to the San Jose posters for reminding me of the facts, but the basic point remains the same. Glenn Davis is absolutely correct to warn fans that if we don't immediately start a well organized lobbying campaign, this opportunity will simply slip away. And as he points out in his column today, many others now seek a franchise, which was a different situation when the Earthquakes were in play. As Oliver pointed out, a slow no is still a no, and in this environment, if AEG were not making alternate plans, they are not serving their own interests well. To me, the international sport of soccer and Houston go together perfectly, but if the political leadership doesn't agree and won't act, it is time to move on, and with the past as an indication, AEG may make other plans before the city/county has decided to act. Afterall, they have had all the time in the world to act and have not done so yet.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good points. If I were a Houston fan I'd be emailing, calling and even making appointments to visit with those commissioners. Let them know how you feel. And let mayor White know his job is on the line if he doesn't lean on the county more as well.

7. mdynamo

mdynamo New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes, exactly, and for the fan clubs, don't be afraid to reach out to the San Jose community for tips on how to run such a campaign. The fans actually created an organization that was in on some of the negotiations, and the fans rallied and placed pressure on elected officials over and over again. Houston may be more spread out and harder to mobilize, but if as a fan you do not believe that AEG will look elsewhere, you are kidding yourself. You want to think that because you are the champions, the team is safe and secure; just ask the fans in San Jose if that is the case.

8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    jajajajajajajajajajajajajaja.

9. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, you beat me to it

10. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that no one in the SJ community wants to extend anything to Dynamo fans...except for maybe a middle finger.

Anyway, e-mails are easy, I suppose but I don't know how effective they are. They can even be harmful or counterproductive if they aren't written well or are completely illogical. Personally, I think a better idea would be to organize an event at City Hall or the County Commissioner's Court...or both.

In my mind, I see EB, TA, Houston Pulse, and every other Dynamo fan standing outside City Hall on a weekday afternoon chanting and singing their songs but the most prominent one being "Where's our stadium?" or something to that effect. There are plenty of Dynamo fans with connections in the media to make sure that they are made aware of it. The problems with this idea, as I see it, are that 1) it would have to be done on a weekday afternoon for it to be effective and it might be hard to get a sizeable crowd on a weekday afternoon. 2) I imagine an event of this sort requires a permit which could be difficult to obtain and if you didn't have one, it could draw the ire of the local law enforcement if the crowd got too large.

The point is, I think people need to think bigger than sending e-mails. Maybe the above idea isn't perfect but I do think it's in the right direction in regards to scale and ambition.

11. BCLK

BCLK Member

Apr 25, 2008
    git er done Dre.

start spreading the details, people will come.

it would need to happen before they have another championship rally there ;)

12. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seriously would take off work to go downtown for such a thing, just tell me when. Hopefully a lot of others would too. If just the EB/TA showed up it would be a lot of people. If it's a spontaneous group of people, does it need a permit? And if it does, maybe a permit would make us seem more serious and responsible. Whatever, count on a nice size group from East Bernard.

13. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's another thing I was thinking of. Having it now in the midst of the playoffs might not be appropriate or as effective. If we win MLS Cup, I think a good idea would just be to hijack the victory rally and just never let it drop. We could be there to congratulate the team but also there with numerous signs, songs, t-shirts...everything directed to the stadium. When some politician gets up to talk, we just keep singing and don't stop.

But if we do get knocked out of the playoffs, a rally would have to happen in a very short period of time while it's on everyone's mind. Long story short, I don't know that there should be two rallys (a stadium rally and a victory rally). Until we know that we aren't going to have a victory rally (which we can then make into a stadium rally), a stadium rally maybe shouldn't be planned.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ding Ding Ding Ding. Once again the man from San Jose has hit the nail on the head while everyone else takes Mayor White's bait.

If any of you guys think sending a half page letter, released to the press before it is delivered, is a sincere or effective way of asking for $10 million then I want your mailing address.

This is exactly what I heard Sylvia Garcia saying Wednesday night. This is still the Mayor's deal, the Mayor's project, and he needs to make it work. Contact the county all you want, not a bad thing to do. But if your not contacting Mayor White and holding him responsible for the results here then your just buying into White's spin and letting him kill the deal while blaming the county.

Contact them all. Ask all of them to help. Hold White responsible because he made it his deal.

15. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have created a Facebook group to the effort in getting a Dynamo stadium downtown.

Click here for a printable flier.

Spread the word! Print out as many copies as you can and put it on the cars at the stadium Sunday!

16. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    We seal our faith when we decide to drop Pearland and Sugarland and try to work only with the city of Houston. We should have keeped all options open now we are in the mercy of the City of Houston and they don't care.

I hate to say this but I don't see the Dynamo staying in Houston or Texas to many cities with good deals will make them move and I dont blame them its a business and the City of Houston does not care about soccer they never have cared about the sport.

17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would we be without your optimism?

18. mdynamo

mdynamo New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Actually, I think you are wrong about the San Jose fans. Of course, when we play them, we are the mortal enemy, but I have never seen fans so willing to fight for the sport of soccer and for a franchise in their region. What impressed me the most was their organization and their mobilization of multiple resources to pursue a franchise. In a sense, you can say they failed since the club did leave San Jose, but in the long run, they prevailed. Point is, if you can get it done on your own, great, but do not under estimate the need for a coordinating body or group to make sure the effort is directed to the right folks, that it is informed and competent, and that it has support of recognized political, soccer, and community leaders. It will take much more than e-mails, as there is nothing like a sea of orange jerseys sitting in the chamber or rallying at city hall to make a politician realize there is support for this parade and I better get out front where I belong.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're serious about it I'd contact Soccer Silicon Valley (the group you keep referring to in San Jose). They'd likely be willing to offer pointers at the very least.

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After all, Soccer Silicon Valley similarly helped the Heart of America Soccer Foundation when the Kansas City Wizards and its fans were going through a similar ordeal (although unlike AEG, Hunt Sports Group did end up making a serious effort to find local ownership and eventually selling the franchise to it).

-G

21. GKDAD

GKDAD BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 8, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please note that Jerry Eversole's correct email address is JerryEversole@hcp4.net.

22. mdynamo

mdynamo New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Fine, send e-mails, but please form an organizing group and coordinate the message. It is one thing to express oneself in an e-mail, but it is another thing to develop and plan of action and carry it out. To maintain energy and commitment, there has to be a support system and a methodology to make the case for support of the franchise and the stadium. Afterall, if you want to rally at city hall, someone has to set the date, the time, the speakers, the message, and work the press to get the best possible coverage and statements from recognized elected leaders, not to mention luminaries in the soccer community. This is a text book marketing effort that can harness the passion and energy of soccer fans, but it needs a cold hearted rational base to make sure it works.

23. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I doubt many people on BS regularly consort with billionaires, but still, try and make the team more visible to potential buyers. Lew Wolff has said that he didn't even know the Earthquakes existed until it was too late. Moreso than the mayor, there will be pressure on MLS to not allow [another] relocation. Houston is a big city with a lot of rich people. I imagine there's someone in town who is more business savvy than AEG. We got someone who knew how to be creative with the deal instead of making threats and waiting for handouts. You can, too. Good luck.

24. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey hey, ho ho!
    Houston loves the Dynamo!

Fee, Fie, Foe, Fum!
    They deserve a stadium!