News: Dynamo Stadium IV - Downtown deal must be done by end of year

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by flippin269, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The guy calling in to the Glenn Davis Show has a good idea. if you divide 10 million between 20k it would give you 500 hundred per person. if we as fans want this stadium we have to go to the games and we have to be willing to get season tickets. and if all that doesn't get us a stadium we have to donate or invest in sites and funds like Homeforthedynamo.com.

Sylvia Garcia is a two face liar who sees no gain in helping the Dynamo get a deal done. she has no vision of the economic benefits that a 100 million dollar building would bring to that part of the County.

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it doesn't come to that. For the players sakes and your guys sakes as fans. They've been there done that once already, and you as fans don't want to be there ever, trust me (some of you who were Oilers fans know what I'm talking about as well). Not fond of you guys on the field, but I wouldn't wish a relocation on my worst enemy.

3. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    OK, what I gather is that the infrastructure needs to be built which plugs the stadium into the city/county. Sewers, streets, sidewalks, gas lines, communication lines etc.

AEG doesn't want to pay for that because they won't own it. For them to pay for that would be like a 'gift' to the city/county and tax payers. That's a big gift and in my mind not fair. They are already taking a big investment risk by spending all this money on a building. The city and state get most of the benefit by the increased jobs, property values, and future tax collection that will come of this area.

The city, I guess has found a way to facilitate the stadium by buying the land and commiting future tax dollars to infrastrtucture.

It's only fair that the county help with the pricetag of the infrastructure issue. So far they have contributed nothing but they will be receiving future revenue streams.

Dynamo fans need to turn their attention to the county and not so much to the city council!

4. Raider Power

Raider Power Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a year ago I was certain a deal would have been done by now. While Ike did not help this situation, my guess is in the end, it will have little impact on whether the city gets a deal done or not. If I had to guess right now, I say this deal does not get done, maybe ever. My sense of the MLS is that it has lost a great deal of momentum over the last couple of years and if I as a soccer fan have that opinion, imagine the thoughts of those in elected office in Houston and Harris County. If they think MLS is in dire straits, the question they would have to ask themselves is does it make sense to help with a stadium deal when there is great question as to whether the league survives the next 10 years.

The fear I had of Beckham coming over is that the expectations would be set far to high for the quality of play and the league would be all about him. I think indeed that has occurred and the league only has itself to blame. One player should not ever make a league. That and the expansion in Canada were big mistakes, even though Toronto has raucous fans. This league should be the U.S. national league and should not cross borders, which is the case with the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, the Bundesliga, and other major soccer leagues around the globe. The league is now expanding too quickly and a below average talent base will soon be diluted further, causing the product to suffer overall.

The question then is, if a stadium deal does not happen, does the team leave first or does the league fold first?

5. t_attakz

t_attakz Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sugar Land is a cesspit of everything I hate about America. I refuse to go there and will cancel my season tickets if we build there. This is AEG's fault. They cant put up a few more million? Yeah ********ing right.

6. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case you will be welcome when it is built in Pearland:D

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    get a grip brah. you've obviously haven't been to rural mississippi if you think sugarland is the cesspit of america. :rolleyes:

but your blaming a corporate entity (AEG) for not putting millions upon millions, but you as an end-consumer of the sport is not willing to spend a couple hundred for season tickets? come on dude, give me hope that the US soccer market is a lot loyal than that....

signed,
    a season-ticket holder that would drive 100 miles (or more) round-trip to see his Dynamo.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think you are way too pessimistic about the league. I have no idea why you think the Beckham situation has put the league in trouble. There are seven cities trying to get expansion teams. Stadiums are being built and opening up across the league. The league is in better shape than it has ever been.

The Dynamo are not leaving the Houston metro area and MLS is not going anywhere.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo brand is very well established and MLS head honchos have always stated over and over back in the day that MLS was not a complete league without a team in Houston.

So Garber and Co. would do everything possible if the R word was tossed around by AEG.

Our team will be here and everything will be fine.

10. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league is going absolutely nowhere. There is more investment in the league now than there has ever been so the thought of it going NASL on us is ludicrous. The team could theoretically go somewhere but even that is a .01% option IMO. OL essentially said that the Dynamo will get a stadium done in Houston but it's just a matter of 1) where in Houston and 2) how long it will take. He said it could theoretically turn into a DC United situation where we are still looking for a place to build a stadium 10 years from now. But this team isn't moving from this market for many of the same reasons that DC United will never move from their market...no matter how long it takes them to find a stadium.

11. mdynamo

mdynamo New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, let me remind you that very similar language was posted over and over again on the San Jose web site. Those fans were rabidly supportive, crowding into city council meetings, rallying at city hall, sending well reasoned arguments with sophisticated economic and fiscal impact statements. In the end, it took the team leaving for the city to finally realize that they wanted and needed a team and of course, as we know, they are now in a public private partnership to provide a new home for the Earthquakes. Don't kid yourselves; once the momentum is lost, it is over. Fact is, if AEG put the word out that they would like a new host, in the current environment the team could move quickly. Houston put out the welcome mat, and now it has been put back in the closet, not by the fans, but by the politicians. Time to consider other options.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify your characterization of the San Jose situation isn't exactly accurate. The team leaving didn't really have any impact on the current stadium plan in San Jose. In fact the city hasn't changed it's position at all, they're still providing $0 to the stadium. AEG had wanted the city to pay for the stadium initially and then eventually they whittled it down to some of the stadium costs (upwards of 40 million if I'm remembering correctly). The city told them no, and that never changed. Still hasn't today.

The "partnership" as you describe it today is really just the brainchild of a smarter owner than AEG that we have now in Lew Wolff who understands stadium construction in California (ie:public funds are near impossible to come by). He found a way to pay for the stadium entirely from private funds with minimal help needed from the city on a rezoning project. That's it. The city still isn't helping pay for the stadium out of their coffers, but they're willing to rezone because of the economic benefits the stadium project brings (1 billion+ in capital to the city) w/o any $ investment on their side.

13. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So SGs, and other fans, are we going to sit and talk or are we going to do something?????????????? I for one am tired of hearing all the talk that does'nt get the stadium deal done!!! LETS DO SOMETHING!!! We don't have much time, don't let this fish die!!! Let's show the league who our SGs are, the ones who got the deal heard and done somehow. Screw these negative guys talking about relocation, they are still the Houston Dynamo, lets keep it that way!!!! Were so loud in the Rob, I don't hear us when the team really needs us now. Lets hear some planning, lets talk to Oliver Luck, he can suggest where to start.

14. mdynamo

mdynamo New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Sorry about the details; I thought I remembered that the city had put the land in the deal.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close but not quite. The land the stadium is going to be built on was city owned blighted land, but Wolff and Co. bought it at full market value from the city for 132 million dollars which they paid out of pocket like any other buyer would have. Even netted the city a tidy profit of 53 million, if I'm remembering the original price correctly, over the price they paid for it 10 years ago when they bought it from the FMC corporation for an airport expansion that never developed.

16. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is why Homeforthedynamo.com was started almost a year ago.It was supposed to be a site that creatively tried to make some noise.

17. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It needs to be updated with all the names of people to contact with support for the stadium, including all the city council people and county commissioner info.

18. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, though e-mails and letters most likely will not be enough. The TA and El Batallon need to be heard, not just read. Collections, selling anything, something!!

19. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are asking TA and EB to do something, you might be better served contacting them directly on their website or through a member of TA or EB (I'll gladly give you a few contact names by PM if you want them). That said, it seems as if you are passing the burden to TA and EB to "do something". This isn't strictly TA and EB's responsibility. This affects every Dynamo fan including you and me...we should ALL take the initiative.

20. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Print this out and put it on as many cars as possible at the game. Click here for the flier.

21. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check the headline and take out "to". :)

22. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. nobius

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit ok fixed.

24. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Needs a new link for the doc too. Hey I just want everyone to print it out too

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, the City of San José was paying about $7 million a year in debt on that land after having bought it several years ago, an annual debt that's basically been eliminated after Wolff and Co. bought the land earlier this year.

-G