News: Dynamo Stadium IV - Downtown deal must be done by end of year

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by flippin269, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates III - renewed UH lease for 2009 w/ option for 2010

Reading the paper at lunch today and ran across this TSU article with some details on the TSU contribution:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5861226.html

Last sentence:

"Regents cautioned Rudley and McClelland to make sure TSU has good representation in the negotiations. "They're sharks," Javier Loya said of the Dynamo's leadership."

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

Academic types versus seasoned businessmen.

Sounds about right.

Like babes to the slaughter from my experience.

Reminds me of Back To School.

Academic Naive Teacher - "Now, where to build our factory?"

Rodney (Successfull Business Guy) - "How about fantasyland."

Spot on for the most part.

AEG got a sweet deal at the HDC. They realized way to late at school. Got people axed.

4. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston

Two things about this article. It cracks me up that TSU officials would be concerned about "sharks." I seriously doubt that anyone involved in this is looking to financially benefit from TSU's participation. TSU isn't bringing anything significant to the table financially and everyone knows it. The deal isn't going to hinge on anything having to do with money and TSU. From the financial side of things bringing in TSU at all is like asking your drunk cousin Louie to co-sign your mortgage loan.

TSU's involvement isn't about money, it's about political "feel good." It's somewhat absurd for the folks at TSU to think that they have anything to offer the "Sharks" who could somehow swindle the University financially. The sharks would have to get in line behind all of the other people who have financial problems with TSU. Using the analogy to Back to School, it looks like the TSU people are already in Fantasyland if they actually think they can get "taken" in what is a win/win/win/win situtation for TSU.

Bigger question for me. The article says that TSU would get 50% of concession sales. Please tell me that this means 50% of concession sales on days that TSU is using the facility!!!! If not, then the "Sharks" are at TSU not the other way around. That's a huge benefit to TSU, and I thought concession sales were one of the big problems at Robertson that Dynamo wanted to rectify with the new place?? TSU would be looking at a profit on their investment within a very short time if they are receiving 50% of all concession sales.

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would have to be on the TSU games only. How long is their season, and how many home games would they have, surely not that many, they wouldn't deserve any more than that.

6. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

what happens if TSU asks for a track around the field to make the stadium? that would suck ars.

7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They said they won't. They already have a track.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

TSU is going to get a locker room, no rent, share of concessions and probably end up ahead since they won't have to rent out other places.

The Dynamo is going to get black politicians to put subtle pressure on Mayor White.

We have to put up with football lines (for the love of God please figure out a better way to remove them) and the potential for a lost Saturday date or two in the fall.

I think that is about the extent of the deal. The $2.5M is not much. I bet most of it is deferred.

9. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It may not sound like the greatest deal in the world, but it's a deal. No track around the field, and Dynamo Orange all over the place. 100 yrs of the Houston Dynamo!!!!! Rep to the one that posts the big anounsment first when it happens.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

12 game regular season, home and away. So anywhere from 6 on up (post-season). This past season, there wasn't much overlap and since they are tenants, we get to schedule things to our benefit. 50% concessions sounds good for TSU...that's what we get at UH IIRC.

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

I thought every day summer in Houston!:eek:

On another note-I just got back from SJ-and even got a chance to play next to Spartan (we were supposed to play inside-but that is another story for another day-just as in TX, tailgates ultimately rule)-but I wasn't impressed by the stadium. Our boys should be happy to be at the Rob. Spartan is really like a glorified HS stadium-well actually there are a lot better high school stadiums around Houston. I wasn't impressed with the facility. The city was nice though.

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

TSU home football schedules

Aug. 30 - Reliant Stadium
    Sept. 27 - TBD
    Oct. 11 - TBD
    Nov. 8 - TBD
    Nov. 15 - TBD

Sept. 1 - Reliant Stadium
    Sept. 8 - on campus
    Oct. 13 - on campus
    Nov. 3 - Reliant Stadium
    Nov. 17 - on campus

Sept. 2 - Reliant Stadium
    Sept. 23 - Robertson Stadium
    Sept. 30 - Robertson Stadium
    Oct. 21 - Robertson Stadium
    Oct. 28 - Robertson Stadium

Sept. 3 - Reliant Stadium (game postponed to Nov. 25)
    Sept. 10 - Robertson Stadium
    Oct. 15 - Robertson Stadium
    Nov. 5 - Robertson Stadium
    Nov. 19 - Robertson Stadium

So for the last 4 years they have had 5 "home" games. Of course it is possible that with a better stadium deal they might try to increase that to six or seven home games. The Football Championship Sub-Division (formerly known as I-AA) does have playoffs that start on the last weekend in November. Home games are possible in that tournament.

13. Raider Power

Raider Power Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Probably TSU will hardly ever have more than 5 games per year at home, even if they go in with the Dynamo. Right now, the SWAC is a two division conference and does not send teams to the FCS playoffs, but instead plays a conference title game while the playoffs are going on at a neutral site.

Even with a nicer home field, they do not have the kind of program that will demand that teams that play against them in out of conference play must come to Houston. At most for the short and long term, TSU will likely only play five home games.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is not late breaking news for anyone that has dealt with them up there.

San Jose folks have a laugh here, go ahead.

Everyone watch that video from Fox. Us in Houston are no further ahead then we were this time last year. ********ing pathetic by AEG after all the love this town's people has shown Dom and the guys.

15. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I couldn't disagree more. A wiseman once said, "Back then, they didn't want me. Now I'm hot; they're all on me." Translation: TSU being a part of the deal wasn't even considered, much less pursued, there were a lot more than "one or two issues" that was left to discuss, there were no 100-acre soccer complexes under-construction, and there was no De La Hoya or Brener in the ownership group willing to put money into the stadium.

In the words of Dave Chappelle dressed up as Rick James, "Look, Darkness. The tables have turned." I do believe that the deal will either be announced of dead by the end of September. The city, Luck, and AEG are probably just as sick of talking about the issue as Houstonians are hearing updates on the situation instead of solid announcements.

Be cool. The Dynamo will more than likely be EastEnders if the Price is Right, yo...

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right on. I hear ya. However TSU, who don't sponsor an NCAA men's soccer program, finally came around to get in bed with AEG so they can have a nice gridiron stadium nothing more. Yes TSU is jumpin' on the a-train to Dynamoville yet their leadership is just as content to use someone elses stadium to stay in Div-1 athletics.
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    AEG has more money than congress and that other noise you hear flippin are the shovels hitting the dirt in San Jose.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

seriously Javier, you're a multi-millionaire and make these deals like they're nothing. you know better than calling someone you're in negotiations with a "shark" in public.

i sell and buy from some people that i really, really despise. some of them are unethical, immoral, racists and down-right liars, but i would never call them a "shark" in public. we say this sht behind closed doors after we're counting our money.

...and if Javier was so concerned with "sharks" where was he when Priscilla was spending money like Marie Antoinette. Javier you went to Columbia, you get the reference or are you too busy hitting the poker table:

http://www.texansgab.com/2008/02/04/minority-owner-involved-in-gambling-allegations/

...or do you benefit when TSU rents Relaint @ $115,000 per game. who's wearing the dorsal fin now?

[​IMG]

18. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates IV - renewed UH lease for 2009 w/ option for 2010

Just throwing it out there; Anytime I come across a "shark" in negotiations, I simply use the shark repellent bat-stray. Works every time...

[youtube]VPYShBDTfdA[/youtube]

19. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hear your frustration, but let's wait until the shovels actually hit the dirt in San Jose before we proclaim them to be ahead of us.

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this the thread where I complain about the last thread not hitting the 400 post mark?

[subscribed]

:D

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Choice Energy Pres calls AEG sharks? Sounds like Choice Energy was in discussions with the Dynamo for shirt sponsorship rights and lost out to Amigo. What other context would that guy have?

TSU gets 20 year lease for $2.5 million, or approximately 2% of total cost? That doesn't sound worth it to me. The thing I find funny is the constant referral to the Dynamo getting political support for their deal thru this move. If the Dynamo believe that they don't really understand how politics works in Houston. Having TSU on board will not help them one iota politically. It just does not work that way.

22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, the Dynamo per se don't need the political influence so much as Mayor White does/will. Once his term as Mayor is over, he'll probably be going for the Big Seat in Austin and having TSU's considerable influence will go a long way towards getting that Seat. The Dynamo having TSU on their side will help that. Now the Dynamo and the Mayor can say they are helping an ailing university, one that has gone through rough times due to a few crooks (none who are currently employed there, too), one that has a proud history, etc etc. You can't underestimate how much that will help the Mayor.

Is TSU getting a cheap deal? Sure, but we all know they don't have money and $$ isn't really the issue (as far as TSU is concerned).

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OL shared some thoughts about the stadium process in a pretty good discussion on the show last night:

Click here for the podcast.

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man...how much longer until Newtex can set up one of these?

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Just barely stadium related

KHOU.com

Apparently there is a movement to build a new City of Houston municipal courthouse. The current one is just west of I-45 off Memorial on Lubbock.

I don't think I like the idea of this near the Dynamo stadium. Especially moving the HPD downtown station over there as well.