Dynamo Stadium -- Design discussion II (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by equus, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates II -- COH may use tax district money to buy stadium land

I think those who are railing against stages are barking up the wrong tree. It would be great to not have concerts in soccer stadiums, but it's pretty unrealistic, especially in a 12 month warm weather market like Houston.

The key is to make the stage blend in as much as possible. Chicago is better than Dallas, but still not perfect. I know SLC thought they had cracked the code and planned to have chair back seats on the stage that felt permanent, but could be removed for concerts. We'll see how that works pretty soon.

I would be surprised if by the time Houston's stadium is built, you don't have it completely nailed.

2. Clip

Clip Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Bayou City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates II -- COH may use tax district money to buy stadium land

There's a big difference between a permanent stage and one that can be set up for events. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use a temporary stage like they do at other venues in town. If they don't put chairs in the supporters sections (that'd be a dumb thing to do), that would seem like a natural place for a temporary stage for concerts and what not.

3. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago

I think the goal has been to be able to have a soccer game and a concert on consecutive nights and the temporary stages take a while to build and can trash the field which is usually where they are built.

Look at it this way -- if designed properly the stage is just a foundation for soccer seats and you will not even know it's there.

4. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So...... would this stadium have terraces? that would make the design even easier and potentially cheaper?

5. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston

yeah, with the costs of chairs nowadays...

6. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something I don't think anyone's brought up is that they could build the stadium at 35k seats and still design it in such a manner that it looks and sounds full even at 1/2 capacity. It IS possible. Personally, I would rather have a half-full 35k stadium now in comparison to a 20-22k stadium that we have to fight each other just to get a ticket into in a few years. Besides, with a larger stadium comes lower ticket prices, as they'll keep them low in order to get more people into that stadium.

7. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey it didn't stop the Chicago fire from switching from Red to Blue seats during construction of TP because they were discounted.

8. RSCA_TEXAN

RSCA_TEXAN Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

i don't mind a 22K seat stadium as long as they can add a second tier or expand one side... like LA has the second level on the visitor side or maybe be able to expand or add 10K more seat on one side... would be nice..but a 30K seater is minimum.. i believe.. 20K is way too small....

9. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston

it was kind of a joke, based on my arrest based on the breaking of 4 chairs, i got hosed on the cost.

el batallon's section had the bleachers removed because they were breaking too many of them. terrace.

10. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My bad, I didn't know it was you who had been held responsible for the chair breaking. How much does a chair back cost anyway?

I only knew that they were removed b/c of damage and that you had a defacto terraced section. Has this been successful at lowering damage, and has it proved safe enough for management to think about incorporating it into your own stadium.

11. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston

4 chairs came out to 1500 dollars (it was in dallas, and the original estimate was 900).

i can't remember anything about an injury...

12. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woah, thats a crazy amount of cash for 4 seats. :eek: My condolences to you having to pay that crappy club any of your money.

13. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be fine with a 20-22K stadium as long as we can add to it later on. We've had a successful run these last two years, but do you think they'd want to build us a 30K stadium if we've only sold out at Robertson a few times?

Maybe it's time to bump the stadium design thread...

14. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. Many are way too fired up about the playoff attendance being a too large a catalyst for consistent season tickets and butts in the seats. Me think 25-28K would be perfect.

16. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

I just like a good round number of 25k seats. How much more would that cost?

17. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they get gouged the same way Orange 1836 did, it would be around $1.9 Million just for the chairs (5k chairs at $375 each). :eek::eek:

18. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston

I think there might be an embargo on hollow plastic....

edit: actually 1500 just happens to be the minimum for a felony. but FCD security couldn't have possibly looked that up weeks after the original estimation and reported it to the DA.

could they?

19. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States