Dynamo Stadium -- Design discussion II (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by equus, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. It was built as a WPA project for HISD in 1941-2. It looks in as great shape as it does because it's undergone at least two major renovations since it was built - sometime in the 60's and in the mid-to-late 90's. That last renovation was what probably saved it from the wrecking ball. It removed the track, lowered the field, and added the lower tier of seats, bringing the fans closer to the action. In short, it gave the stadium character. The Rob probably would've been bulldozed and paved over for parking if they hadn't undergone that renovation.

2. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

3. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know it there's anything on the inside, but I want to say I saw a plaque on the outside of the stadium. I don't know what side, but I remember seeing one somewhere up there.

4. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it does only capture energy in the day but there is a battery array that allow you to use it at night. Not sure on what their normal monthly out put of kW is but it potentially could be a money maker, especially in the off season when usage is at a minunium.

Of course one of our supporters on our dicsussion board is speculating that the energy created will be used to supply the taps in our supporters section!

I just hope they put up some sort of net or something, many balls have been loss to the Gator pond to the right of those arrays in the photo

mikey

6. asifdinho

asifdinho New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Houston
    last time i read about our stadium proposal, it said something about fitting 20,000 people..

i think we should definately increase that to atleast 30,000..
    even though regular season games only attract an average of about 16,000, and playoffs attract an average of 30,000+..

its better to build big, cuz it takes forever to expand (ex. darrel k royal stadium at UT)..

i think we should have capacity for 30k to start off with.. cuz who knows how much fan support might grow in the coming years

7. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, your talking to the wrong guy..... oluck@houstondynamo.com

8. asifdinho

asifdinho New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Houston
    good lookin out, just emailed him

just wanted to make a point, we def need 25-30k+ capacity (for long-run)

9. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nominate my ex-girlfriend to reclaim the lost balls from the gator pond :D

10. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    O Luck was on 610am on Friday morning and he pretty much got screwed on air time. Ted Johnson called in and dominated the time OL was on there. I called in and never got on the air, but they let me talk to him on the phone. They did ask him about the stadium and he offered nothing new other than they are working on it.

11. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:
    Who's Ted Johnson?

And what happened to your id atpag? You're going incognito? Then you really need to change your avatar too.:rolleyes:

12. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Good question. The best part is that Ted Johnson is a FORMER patriot. OL got second billing to a former patriot. He has 3 or 4 rings, but I still think OL is cooler.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Still no idea who Ted Johnson is.

"FORMER patriot" is not very helpful. Person who no longer supports the United States? New England football player? George Mason basketball player? Jay County High School athlete? Could be any of those.

14. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

My bad. [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Johnson

15. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates II -- COH may use tax district money to buy stadium land

about the future stadium: OL said on the podcasti heard that the stadium would be nothing fancy,open air bowl with capacity of 22-23k.He said IIRC the cost would be in the range of 80-90mil.......my question is does anyone have pics they can post of something already existing that resembles this discritption?

Im hoping that with such a small budget we can still have something unique .

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: Dynamo Stadium Updates II -- COH may use tax district money to buy stadium land

I'll bet it is going to look like something like Toyota Park:

[​IMG]

17. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gawd, I hope that's true. I'll take TP over the pizza box any day.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

To get more than 20,000 and fit it into the space allowed, you almost have to have some sort of upper deck at least on one side. Or have stands on all four sides.

That's why I'm guessing something like Toyota Park. Pizza Hut Park is a possibility, though. If that's what we get, I'll still kiss the ground when I walk in there for the first time.

19. ethan

ethan Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Hyde Park, HOU

Yes, but where will the stage go? You know there will be one.
    The problem I have with PHP is no so much with the stage area, but that no one is allowed? to stand there. If it was filled rail to rail with screaming fans it would be fine.

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but then what would they do with the rest of the home games when Houston isn't visiting?

21. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It looked like they were trying to use it as a beer garden last season for a few games that we went to. Maybe they'll make that permanent for this season.

22. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

ive been to PHP several times and there isnt a bad seat in the house.the scoreboard is really great too.does anyone know how much it cost to build?

i guess the more i think of it I really dont care if its not elaborate,but the seating capacity capped at 23k worries me a little..........

also originally the stadium in Philly was said to be 18k.Now they are saying 20k.

How does MLS plan to deal with these small venues when they start having more ticket requests than seats?I would assume Philly is like Houston they could easily have 30k at a game.

heck I believe the Dynamo will have 35 to 40k at games in the next 2-4 yrs.Not evrery game but there will be several games in the next few years that I could easily see selling out Robertson easily.If we were to host lets say LA Galaxy in a playoff game I think they would have to switch to Reliant.

23. ishabuu

ishabuu Member

Apr 6, 2007

ive been to PHP several times and there isnt a bad seat in the house.

I tend to disagree. Our field box at Robertson has spoiled me. Not too far away, high enough to see the whole field, the people in front of you don't block your view. Like 98% of why I'm scared of the new stadium is that I know nowhere will be able to match that.

I think my main problem with PHP is that the seating is too flat. If they made it a little steeper, everyone would have a better view. That and that the place has no life.

24. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX

Raise prices and make more money.

If there are those individual games, then rent Reliant. But to build a stadium that will accomodate 35k - and draw an average of 16k during the season means that half your stadium is empty throughout the year. That's not what they are looking for. They want limited, packed stadiums.

The idea (behind size) is to have an appropriate venue to provide an exciting atmosphere that will make people want to come back. If MLS grows to where they could increase ticket prices 20% across the league, still sell out every game in every city, and have to turn people away - no one in league management/ownership would be losing sleep.

25. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

On the size front I think most of the stadiums being built now are built with expansions in mind, the kind where you could add another deck to one or both of the long sides of the stadium (above the press boxes/suittes/etc.) and boost the capacity up by 5,000-10,000, which for most of the these stadiums would get them into the 30s.

And as many have said before on the stage front, as long as they do a stage like in Chicago... one that collapses into seats right behind one of the goals for soccer matches - but then folds up or down/whatever for concerts... that would be okay. Of course, if they put one of those in Dynamo stadium it better be in the south end because EB and TA would most likely wreck anything not permanently fastened down.