Dynamo Stadium -- Design discussion II (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by equus, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What percentage of that $200 mil. is for the real estate and what percentage is for the actual stadium?

2. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I hope you are in the bathroom.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I believe $200 million is for the entire project. The stadium itself was supposed to be around $140 million but that price is going up.

Daily Commercial News article

4. Clip

Clip Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Bayou City
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't care if we have the crown jewel stadium of the mls or not, and I don't think that's what we'll be getting on this budget. I want the basics, and I want it to be a design that can easliy be expanded/renovated in the future. We can add to it 10-15 years down the road to make it the crown jewel. Right now we just need a home.

5. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

And all many of us need is a North End.

6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and palm trees.

7. Goldenstick

Goldenstick Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Bridge City, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it's up close and personal. i don't want to be 10ft up in the air and 15 yards back from the pitch. It needs to have an intimate feeling where opposing teams can feel the Dynamo fans breathing down their neck.

8. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm most looking forward to no longer seeing a gridiron/endzone on the field during Dynamo home games.

9. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually going to miss that, kind of. It usually means playoff time. Gawd, why won't they just throw us another friggin bone?! This is the longest off season....EVER!

10. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, thats my point, we can write him with our ideas no matter how expensive. At least he'll have an idea of what would make us happy. Something he didn't think of maybe. He might add/change something in his idea. This is our 1 chance to help build our house.

oluck@houstondynamo.com

11. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a good piece on RSL's new stadium and what it'll be like...

12. 3VIL L33T

3VIL L33T New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    i know we've all been talking about this, but is there a poll here to show whats everyone number one priority in a stadium?

lets say whatever they build, it fits the teams needs and they are 100% happy with everything

what are the top things fans looking for?

I would like something that would
    1. amplify EB and TA noise levels
    2. take into consideration Houston's Weather Factor
    3. if we could build green (eco-friendly) that would rock.

back to the outside design, i know this has been talked to death but i like the idea of merging

Estadio Azteca
    [​IMG]
    and
    Commerzbank-Arena
    [​IMG]

only smaller with 22,000 seats (and 8,000 standing room space?) also when talking about this we shouldn't be concerned with trying to up everyone else but setting the standard for everyone else...

13. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like the fans close to the field, more or less like a basketball arena....also roof over seats only, in a stylish fashion....and access to the players after games like Robertson Stadium.

14. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Quite simply, keep the stadium designed like a cheaper Reliant. All the seats have great views.

15. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, you misspelled the stadium name and I had to fix it

:D

16. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the simple version: The Rob

17. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Can't say I've been to Robertson, so I can't talk. I'll probably go to UH next year though, so I'm sure I'll catch my first soccer game soon enough.

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugliest POS stadium this side of Butler Stadium, but the experience is great as fans are really close to the pitch, there isn't a bad seat in the house and you are really on top of the players (and they can see/feel/hear it). Being behind the goal and causing sh*t for the keepers and CKers is great. Also, don't eat the food there unless its pizza.

And watch out for rats

:D

Other than that, it's a great stadium

19. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that bad of a stadium all stadiums get old but the thing that looks the worst is there really are no Dynamo decorations or posters or anything. It is sad because you can tell that the Dynamo are a second tenant.

If we get our own stadium I want the rails to be orange, I want the seats to be our color, I want Dynamo logo on the walls, and I want goalposts that stick in to the ground and are semi-permanent.

Even though the team that plays there is crap I would love to see us have an SSS with a second deck:

[​IMG]

20. futbolitico87

futbolitico87 Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it all depends on attendance and people loving the sport.

But i say a stadium that can be located inside the city or 1 and half mile radius around the city is fine. so lets not do like Pizza Hut park or one in colorado that are too far from the city.

KEEPING IT LOCALLY IS THE BEST WAY TO SEE GREAT ATTENDANCE!!!!
    EASY FOR FANS AND FIRST TIMERS!!!

21. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Dynamo stuff around the stadium all the time. Each gate is in orange, there's Dynamo logos around the sides of the stadium, and the flag (as tiny as it may be). Where do you not see decorations?

22. time_drifter

time_drifter Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Wharton
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, there is at least one permanent sign for Dynamo in the stadium. It's on the new scoreboard AEG had built above the South End. And as far as the stadium looking like a POS, keep in mind the stadium is the oldest in the city of Houston. It was built back in the 40's for HISD, and is due for yet another renovation as soon as UH can find a sponsor for the planned addition to the stadium. In other words, it would look better if they had the money. Sadly, if they start on that addition before Dynamo leaves, TA/EB would have to relocate, as the addition will be on the North End.

23. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked Robertson, for such an old stadium it's not really bad at all. I think I know what Dustcowpoke was talking about the signs and stuff, there's not a lot of Dynamo branding around the stadium once you get through the gates, and there's a lot of UH colors and signs. I suppose that's to be expected, but it's not what you would like to see when you come to a Dynamo game. And there's a lot of red paint in the seating areas, makes FCD feel at home. I like the big Dynamo banners outside up high on the stadium, remember how excited we were when those went up before we'd even played a game at the Rob? But then they're taken down before the first Cougar game and replaced with UH ones. But I have to say, outside the stadium, on game days, it's a lot more festive and Dynamo related than PHP before a game, I'm not sure you could even tell who was playing there before a game, or even that they're having a soccer game inside. :D

24. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the original structure was a WPA project. I think there's still some sort of WPA marking in one of the interior walls, but I'd have to hunt around to find it again. The place is in pretty good shape for its age. The last multi-million dollar sets of renovations help a lot. It's a great stadium for soccer and football, with excellent sightlines all around.