Dynamo Stadium -- Design discussion II (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by equus, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    3D Models - Part Two

Some of you mentioned maybe seeing an HDC or Toyota Park design based on AEG's architects. I found a 3D model of the Home Depot Center that the Blue Marble Project created for Google Earth. I went into SketchUp and modified the textures to give the stadium a Dynamo look and feel.

I placed the model directly into the footprint of the downtown area where it was said they are looking at. It looks like it would be a very tight fit at the same size as HDC. The model in H-town in the images below has the exact same dimensions as the one in Carson.

There would be much more airflow and more of an open feeling (and better views of the downtown) with this design over the previous one I posted.

Map view with downtown landmarks
    City view
    3/4 overhead view
    Overhead view of field (with Dynamo badge mowed into the center circle)
    A view of the upper deck on one side
    A view under the roof from concourse level
    Dynamo Stadium signage
    At field level looking up and end with suites and scoreboard
    A view from your seat

2. Net_Minder

Net_Minder Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Re: Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

Craig Waibel will have the stadium ready by next season.

:D :D

3. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    Re: Dynamo Downtown Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

wow, wow, wow, and wow.
    gimme.

4. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think your right. But we are talking roofs like the ones at other MLS SSS. Nothing like the pictures in this thread. More like Colorado's park.

5. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its not oriented with the prevailing southernly winds.

Too much stuff on the ends blocking that wind if it was oriented correctly.

6. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

I'm not sure of the wind patterns around there, but where I placed was the only way it would fit in the footprint of the parking lot/block available. And even then it would be right against the street, unless they used a block on either side.

In the dog days of summer, how is the wind down there anyway? I know in Kentucky during that time it's hot, humid and very little wind to speak of. And if is blowing, it's from the south so it's a hot wind anyway.

As for me, I'd rather have some roof than none at all. Shade helps a little. :)

7. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

This was my main point earlier. i won't beat a dead horse here, but I think that lot and the fact that it has to face North South makes it a bad place. IF we aren't careful, we might end up with a miniature stadium like MMP. The seats will be so small that only Nicole Richie and any other walking skeleton skanks will fit in them. Big boned guys like me and Bandido won't like those seats.

8. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007

HDC stands:
    [​IMG]

That's a pretty flat seating angle. Perhaps if you make the stands steeper than HDC they could reduce the footprint to fit in that area to face East/West (or at a 45 degree angle like was suggested), yet still have the full seating capacity they're looking for. It would also be great to have them steeper (more noise going toward the field, better sightlines.)

The pitch itself in that model is 107 x 82. I just don't see how they can fit it in there with the necessary infrastructure without using a similar footprint to MMP (means using that block to the right on the Map view with downtown landmarks.)

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Dynamo stadium will also likely have about 5,000 fewer seats than the HDC.

10. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

steeper grade on the seats would definitely save room. good idea.

11. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But not too steep, in MMP I feel like they're too steep. Maybe I'm a grandpa, but the steps in MMP make me dizzy.

Maybe not a big deal when it's only 1 deck, and maybe I should just suck it up.

But do what it takes to have it downtown & expandable.

12. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

I am right there with you on this one. If you are on the 6th row in the 400's, dude, you are getting a work out. We did the 10 for $20 thing again this year and we asked them for front row for my wife. We have 6th row last year and she said there was no way she and that big belly were going up to that row again.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

I actually went to the Dynamo game there. the rook needs to extend a little further out over the seats, but essentially it is a good design. That stadium is awesome by the way.

14. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking last night about a roof, and two things occurred to me... one, though I keep saying I like HDC and the roof they have, I don't think it would do much to keep fans dry. I think that's an important thing to consider in Houston, where pretty much every game they've played has had rain threaten and attendance hurt by that threat. If fans new they would stay dry during a game, I think you would get more people to the games, at least more of the casual fans who might later become hard-core.

And two, I always look at the guys in the east stands, the ones facing into the sun, and think those guys need some shade. The same thing at PHP. But it would take a lot of roof to shade those seats, since the sun is going down in the evening and would probably be below the roof line over those seats anyway. Of course, maybe a high roof on the west side would block the sun. And it's not bad for long, depending on the start time. I remember the first game last year, those stands were full well before the start of the game and those buys baked. Now it seems people have learned, and those seats don't start to fill until after kick off.

Just a couple of things I thought about while I was mowing yesterday evening (I have a lot of time to think, it's a big yard :rolleyes: ).

15. Trae

Trae New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Katy, Texas

I want a view of Downtown Houston. Let's have an opening facing Downtown. Have seats there, but not not two-decks.

16. futbolitico87

futbolitico87 Member

May 11, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Official thread for Dynamo stadium updates & news about timing, politics, funding

I believe that a stadium has to have the space and levelness to upohold events even if their not soccer but not too stage like. We must remember that a stadium has to show a unique design that blows the sock of the other SSS's in the MLS. So in my opinion its imperative that a stadium in this city has view of the city, weather proof, and have a imposing design. I hope that this SSS of the Houston Dynamo has the brand of a reowend stadia.

:D THE ORANGE FAN

17. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Re: Dynamo Stadium -- Design discussion (capacity, roof, stands, stage, etc.)

I found this stadium last night. Swansea City, Football League One.

Ground Name: Liberty Stadium
    Capacity: 20,500 (all seated)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cost:
    £27m ($54m USD)

Granted, I bet land in Swansea is much more reasonable than downtown Houston, but that's pretty awesome for $54m.

18. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Elevate the roof about 5 feet from the structure to allow a breeze to flow from outside, and it's perfect.

19. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

were are the press box? and club houses?

20. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They don't need press boxes. Everyone in England already knows everything about soccer. ;)

21. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A bit large for us as it is supposed to fit 50K, but rather nice anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the "The People's Club" bit as well.

22. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town

:D and : they re-invented the wheel !

23. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This from Chron today:

Research visit

The Dynamo are looking at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, home to the Colorado Rapids and the latest soccer-specific venue to host the MLS All-Star Game, as the model for a stadium in Houston.

"A lot of the features that Dick's Sporting Goods Park has are things that I think would make a lot of sense in Houston," said Dynamo president Oliver Luck, who was present at the game and had visited the facility before.
    A proposed stadium in Houston is estimated to cost $70 million to $80 million.

24. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read that this morning, and the first thing I was thinking was "like what, Oliver???" If I were the reporter doing the interview, I would have asked for details.

25. onecrazykraca

onecrazykraca Member

Apr 12, 2007
    Houstone

It better be updated and bigger!!