News: Dynamo Stadium - City & County Approve Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they'll probably have multiple fields similar to the way reliant is set up with the big grass squares.

2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    One major different being that Houston will be the primary tenant, and will have much more control of scheduling. Also, Houston fan's can get more detailed than I, but my understanding is TSU only has a very small handful of home games each season. Like 5 or so.

TSU isn't likely going to get to pain a big logo on the 50 yard line. They won't be able to paint TSU in giant letters in the end zones. Some creative scheduling, and you're likely to never see any lines on the field in Houston once they get the new building built.

3. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get used to it. our new "SSS" will still be shared with the TSU throwball team, so the grid iron stays. sigh

4. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo control the stadium, not the college football team as it is at Robertson Stadium. The Dynamo get first dibs, so it will not be like it is now. No grid-iron during Dynamo games will happen, even if TSU is a tenant there.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I saw a disturbing article in the Bond Buyer from August 31st about the stadium authority and figured I should post it here. I'm pulling for a Houston stadium (both for the league and family I have in Houston).

Texas Sports Agency Flirting With Default

According to Moodys, the Harris County - Houston Sports Authority could default on part of its $998 million in bonds as early as March 2011. The problem stems in part from the financial melt down of MBIA (a bond insurer) and the resulting acceleration of a pay back to JP Morgan but the article also refers to the reduced tax revenues from hotels and rental cars which back up the debt repayment.

The article is at this link:

http://www.bondbuyer.com/issues/119_416/texas-agency-flirting-with-default-1016658-1.html

Anyone in Houston have an idea what the impact of this will be on the development of the Dynamo's stadium?

6. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  7. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Sorry about that. Didn't look back far enough to see the topic already being discussed. Hey, I've rented cars twice in Houston the past 6 months of so. I'm doing my part to pay for the Astros, Texans and Rockets new places.

8. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG sent STHs a letter today to explain the progress on the stadium. Nothing we don't already know, but nice of them to tell us anyway, especially since I know a lot of STHs that know nothing about the stadium deal....

I tried to post the letter that I uploaded to Flickr but it doesn't show, probably it's too big for BS. Here's the link if you didn't get one...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31369578@N02/4969311732/

9. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was in Canetti's column today...

10. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have mail delivery in EBernard?

11. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    out here in Crosby, too...

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This smells of gubernatorial politics.

I predict the AG will drop his concerns in Mid-November.

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This argument often ignores the massive tax subsidies for automobiles and airplanes -- while rail is expected to pay for itself.

Everywhere rail is succesful it is tax subsidized. And it is a great amenity that communities and societies love. Just ask the Germans who pay high gas taxes and use much of it to subsidize deBahn. They love it.

I'd happily pay much higher gas taxes for much better rail. And remember -- I drive to games from Austin.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we certain a world cup regulation field fits? I remember going to a gold cup game there and I don't think it was the World Cup minimum of 70' wide.

Google is not producing for me a good hit on the Cowboys stadium floor size.

15. Tifosi FC

Tifosi FC New Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This article might help but doesnt give field dimensions.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/07/01/2309213/jerryworld-in-arlington-could.html

Cowboys Stadium spokesperson Brett Daniels said the stadium can seat more than 100,000 for a World Cup match. He also said the stadium would need to modify its field-level suites in the corners to fit the full width of a FIFA field.

Also from this article today.

http://www.fanhouse.com/news/soccer/fifa-inspectors-to-visit-white-house/420558

Architects were to be on hand to show how fields in NFL stadiums could be widened to FIFA's 75-yard (68-meter) preference. During the 1994, FIFA agreed to play on several slightly narrow fields.

The bigger concern though for Cowboys Stadium could be the baseball stadium nearby.( This also applies to Qwest field in Seattle, Arrowhead stadium in Kansas City,Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore)

Im pretty sure FIFA wouldnt want baseball games scheduled for the same times as World cup games. MLB and FIFA will arrange something though no doubt.

16. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the most pertinent current information on this that can be added to the first page of FAQs? I am going to make a new thread. Please quote this and let me know.

17. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Westside's post* from this thread would be good to add as a link. Just a link though, that thing was a monster.

*Which by the way, I have to spread rep before I can give that post some.

18. jvilla07

jvilla07 Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Houston + NOLA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think a good part of Cannetti's STH letter could provide some good pertinent details for FAQs part.

19. appleton

appleton Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? nothing about the new article posted today?

[​IMG]

so this is whats in store for Houston.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That picture has been around for a long time.

The quote you are posting is from this article on the Dynamo website:

http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2010/09/populous-selected-design-dynamo-stadium

It is interesting language but I'm not sure it matches the picture that they are showing.

21. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States