Dynamo Offseason Rumors Thread - Dynamo Re-Sign Bobby Boswell

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by MLSNHTOWN, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't see him being loaned out. Even if we acquire a forward, we'll still only have 5 forwards on the roster (Ching, Kamara, Wondo, Garcia, and ???) Considering that Ching will miss games for WCQ and probably the Confed Cup too, we'll need Garcia around as cover if nothing else. We don't have the depth to loan him out.

2. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play him now!

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this deal is a good move for the future but should there be any realistic hope that he is going to make a significant contribution in 2009? same for Cruz, what is reasonable to expect? I consider these two guys as somewhere betwen the 19th and 24th men on the roster, thus they may not even make the subs bench most games where we don't have international tourneys and qualifiers going on.

If he is not going to get games (and if he is the last sub on the bench, he is not going to get games in Dom's world), I think you almost have to loan him out at times, even if it is for a few games, just to get him games.

It brings up the question of how teams are going to develop guys at the back end of the roster (and many just won't develop any further) if they don't have reserve matches to play in. The reserve league was a decent idea but kind of became a pain when we had fixture congestion and still had to send out guys who contributed to the first team. You don't have enough depth to really play full-sided full games against local colleges and other squads during the week but you need to get the final few guys some game action during the year.

That's why it would seem to me that the USL is going to get a bunch of these guys on loan this year, especially if the MLS teams are picking up the salary cost. I think the Dynamo sent Ianni out to play some games for a California team in the USL a few years back.

Send Garcia and Cruz up to Austin if they will take them to play in some games on off weeks.

It does bring

4. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    O RLY!

Sounds like I need to take an early/long lunch next Friday.

5. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I'd like to see. Set up about a dozen friendlies over the course of the season with USL/PDL teams and send players 15-24 on the depth chart... plus the next best prospects in the Dynamo Academy... as the team. Entice these clubs with having them host the matches so they can get most of the revenue from hosting an "MLS team" - like the Aztex are doing for these preseason friendlies in March and the $30 (or whatever they are) tickets. I'm imagining a "friendly schedule" for our makeshift reserve team something like this:

First play all the "nearby" teams at least once at their place - Austin Aztex, Laredo Heat, El Paso Patriots, Rio Grande Valley Bravos, Baton Rouge Capitols, New Orleans Jesters, Mississippi Brilla, maybe even the Leones a couple of times - helping to spread the Dynamo brand in the Gulf Coast region... and then maybe pick up a couple friendlies against USL 1 teams like Charleston to give the guys a couple of matches against even stiffer competition (and yes... I know we'd probably get crushed by a USL 1 team with team like the one I'm imagining we'd send).

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on.

7. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the PDL is garbage and they could get comparable competition playing teams from the HFA prem, and wouldn't have to deal with the travel. The Leones are in 9th of 10, with a roster similar to the one they fielded in their PDL season last year. Meanwhile, Houston Rangers are in 2nd with a mixed squad that includes James Clarkson and a bunch of the U-18 academy kids, among others:
    http://hfasoccer.com/standings/11615563/LIST.html

8. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    what time is the announcement of our new forwards?

9. Dynamo442

Dynamo442 Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Houston, Tejas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think you miss the point, MBean was listing teams in the region. Establishing the Dynamo organization regionally rather than just locally is a wise move IMO and is about more than just level of competition for preseason friendlies.

I'd much rather see them spread it around the region and interact with the soccer community on all levels rather than just the local teams that are conveniently located.

Also, PDL is a professional development league; why wouldn't the Dynamo want to work with them and help them to become strong and help them accomplish that mission? If PDL is garbage what does that make HFA? Garbage Plus? A lot of people think MLS is garbage. I think it's a crass way to talk about whole leagues that are in the developmental stages of their histories. Are the teams of the Argentine 4th division garbage? Only if you expect them to play like Premier leaguers.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    no, they're not. :D

11. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he was talking about using those matches to develop our young guys who won't play much. I was saying that I don't think it will do much to develop them. I still don't. I'd expect a roster of guys 16-24 plus some academy guys to regularly whomp those teams 6-0, so it would essentially be a waste of time. Provide some evidence to the contrary.

12. OrangeLocks

OrangeLocks Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Houston
    what game is this?

13. El Diva

El Diva Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Section 106
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There's suppose to be a press conference today at 1:30

14. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dullas Vs Dynamo Feb 6th

15. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really watched much PDL level soccer (except one Leones game last season when they got whipped by the Austin Aztex U-23 side), and what I saw didn't impress me that much. To get better competition - if you could schedule them and get them not to play all of their reserves too - you'd have to go with more USL 1 sides. Remember that USOC game in Charleston vs. the Battery? I would think our reserves could get some pretty useful work playing that kind of competition. What they'd get from playing PDL teams I really don't know. If they're playing the Leones that I saw at the end of last years maybe it wouldn't be worth much. If they're playing the first teamers of the Laredo Heat (do we know anyone that used to play for them?) maybe it would be worthwhile competition. Does anyone remember the Carolina Dynamo from the 2006 USOC? Were those guys and adequate level of competition for our reserves to derive benefit from playing?

16. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think USL-1 & 2 teams would be great competition, assuming the logistics could be worked out. At least there they'd be going up against seasoned pros, rather than a bunch of off-season college kids. I think the biggest areas of growth for those young guys are tactics and physicality, not really just getting more touches on the ball.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i remember them.

no they weren't. they would get more out of playing san jac. cheaper travel too.

18. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone else a bit disappointed that Bernardo and Glenn are not (visibly) digging into these reports we've gotten that Felix isn't the only player presentation today? If BS posters are coming up with juicy tidbits, you'd think the pros could throw us a bone or 2.

19. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They are all about the facts, the official news from the Club. we are all about rumors and love jumping the gun.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the Reserve League is gone, go back to square one. Play our U-16s in the HFA Prem. and have our U-18's plus end o' the Dynamo bench travel around Texas and the like to own the USL-1 and 2 scene when the USL is out of season October-April.
    Tactics might not be learned but the lifestyle of traveling on the road and still brining your A game is a value in its own. Not to mention how it grows the Dynamo brand in our part of the nation.
    Then, take the best of the U-18's, our bench guys like Cruz and Felix and a few young clock getters like Ashe and Cameron. Put them together and have that team play a few friendlies over the course of the year. Invited guests like MFL forzas basicas in their off season, our summer, and perhaps other CONCACAF clubs fb's like Augilla, Communicaciones and Saprissa to let them see different playing styles and ball skills.

21. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    is the presser being carried live anywhere?what time?

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd bet the closest thing to live coverage is the possibility of a live look-in from the local news.

More likely that the local news channels will have video on the late news tonight.

Maybe some live radio coverage but probably not that either.

23. Marquez

Marquez Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Houston
    This is the Dynamo's press release from the Dynamo homepage regarding the press announcement. Only mentions Garcia. Nothing else.

24. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    what about the other players they were supposed to tell us about?

dagnabit!

Ill bet we signed Fowler!

25. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    well, the email i just got from mydynamo says come meet the new signing[singular].

I guess we wont know about any other signings tonite!