Dynamo Offseason Rumors Thread - Dynamo Re-Sign Bobby Boswell

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by MLSNHTOWN, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
  2. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Re: The Official BB.com Offseason Rumors Thread

We all knew from the start that he was looking to go to Europe after the 2008 season. He had a great season and he's getting looks. It's not a done deal yet, though.

5. El Diva

El Diva Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Section 106
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I don't think BB is the one we're going to lose. Check out Ianni salary. Makes more sense to cut Pat to free up salary for BB. Also Rico heads to Europe freeing up more salary and a starting Mid spot for homeboy Stuie.

6. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ianni's salary is a concern seeing as how he won't be GA anymore but I don't think he'll go anywhere. It's not like he's a real tradeable asset right now. I mean what do we say even if we wanted to trade him "Hey, you guys want a spot starter at CB that will cost you nearly six figures when grade A defenders in the league make marginally more." There's been no talk of Rico going anywhere and seeing as how his contract isn't expiring, I don't think he's going anywhere. Personally, I don't want to see him go anywhere. He's one of the better d-mids in the league, he's young, and we don't have a replacement for him.

We do have 150,000+ to throw around now that Jaqua is in Seattle. We can at least make a reasonable offer to BB if we want to. I didn't expect to keep him after this season but thought we might have a chance if his awards ceremony statement was even half true. We'll see what happens but if he leaves, I'll understand.

7. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think we ought to offer Boswell around $130k, which would put him on par with eRob and Davis salary wise. We have the space. Jaqua's gone, and with a few developmental players being dropped, that would still leave us room to sign another striker - I'm assuming neither Kpene, Wondolowski, or Kyle Brown is going to be ready to play a lot of minutes for us.

It may be that Boswell will leave even if we offer equivalent money to what he'd be getting in Europe.

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm going to make this the generic thread for the team during the offseason. Here's a good Q&A with Canetti about what they're working on. Here's the first question:

Q: What are the team's major objectives for the offseason in terms of player personnel?
    Chris Canetti: As usual, we're focused on recapturing the MLS Cup title and furthering our success in the CONCACAF Champions League. We're not going to make serious changes to the core of our roster, but we have some work to do. We want to re-sign Bobby Boswell and Wade Barrett, who are both out of contract. We want to find an impact striker, we want to add depth on the back line, and we need to find a backup goalkeeper.

9. houston_gunner

houston_gunner New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Houston

Does that mean Caiger isn't going to be our backup!!!!!

10. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I take it that means we won't be picking up the option on Mr Caig's contract?

11. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

God willing.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX

I was reading a Soccernet article that was talking about the 1999 U-17 team and DJ Countess was the keeper for the team. He is coming off a major surgery on his hand. He might be an ideal person to try to get to back up Onstad. Young, quality experience so far. Use the first year to get back into the swing of things so he can possibly start next year.

13. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It seems interesting he'd mention wanting to add depth to the back line... Maybe Ianni is going to be released? If they do in fact re-sign Wade and Boz, that leaves Eddie, Boz and Ianni in the middle, Wade and Chabala (who acquitted himself well in his performances) on the left, Richard and Waibel on the right, and Cam as cover in the middle and on the right (I'd experiment with Cam as the starting right back early on, though that may not be on Dom's radar). That seems like plenty to go to war with unless they are planning on letting someone go.

14. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Re: Dynamo Offseason Rumors Thread

judging by his last two MLS stints I wouldn't want him on a pub team.

15. El Diva

El Diva Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Section 106
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

I never said Ianni would be traded.

16. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I assumed you mentioned his salary because you thought he was the one that wouldn't be around.

Anyway, the Dynamo have an awfully ambitious wish list. I don't know how much beyond Jaqua's salary they have to play with but I can't imagine it's that much. My guess is that it will take at least 70K to resign Bobby and it will probably take a comparable salary to Wade's current salary to get him to stick around. That leaves at minimum 80K left to sign an impact striker and a spot starter at CB. I think you'd need at least another 50K or so to pull it off.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Canetti interview mentioned they may go with a 19-man senior roster to squeeze out some more salary dollars to pay the core guys. And they confirmed that a DP is not happening next year.

I do agree there is not much room under the cap - it will be bumped up a little and cutting the last 4 developmental guys and Jaqua leaving create some space, which is probably eaten up by scheduled raises on some of the guys.

One question is who gets asked to take a pay cut? Mulrooney again? Ianni? Barrett? Mullan? I'm pretty sure we have little or no allocation money and we draft starting in Round 4 so unless we get a find, you don't get much from that.

What I see is we get back most of the same roster as last year, capped at 19 guys with 4 developmental scrubs. With Gold Cup, WC qualifiers, and any injuries, some of those developmental guys may see some decent minutes.

In practicality, Dom is going to run the same 15 or 16-man rotation he usually runs and hopes that our guys are still young enough to play 40+ games in a season without hitting the wall.

18. Stinker

Stinker New Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Never Never Land

The main area of flexibility that Dom has is with midfielders. There seems to be a lot of "noise" about a DeRo deal to Toronto, so we'll see how that one plays out since it would likely involve players. Also, one of Holden, Ashe, Mulrooney may yield some money by trade or re-negotiation.

I'm confused about how the Ianni Gen Adidas deal works, but if he is graduated from that program Dynamo can re-sign him at the stipulated salary ($120???) or negotiate for a lower salary. He could also be traded for either of the above options (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Either way, there's an opportunity to free $$ and strengthen elsewhere.

I think Boswell will require a lot of money to get him to sign back with Dynamo (around $130K would be my guess) but he would be worth it. Europe may beckon for him also.

Although Holden has another year to go on his contract he is bound to get a great offer from somewhere in Europe and Dynamo would have to pay him close to $200K in my opinion to even make him think about it. His career is ready to move rapidly to the next level.
    Barrett has been stealing money this year and it won't get much better, the good news is that Chabala has shown great signs of promise for a more active role next year and he could be secured for about $32K
    I also wouldn't be surprised to see Ashe or even Davis traded depending on what deals can be done by Dom and his merry men.

These are just some thoughts to chew on!

19. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007

Let's be careful with anointing Chewbaka as the next left back. He has only played significant minutes in a couple of games if I remember correctly. I think Mr. Chabala would have to get in line behind Cam any way.

20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston

imo trading DeRo = big mistake.

i love stuie and cameron is multi-positional, but neither of them together equal what DeRo does.

21. skajules

skajules Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DeRo to Toronto for Wynne +++ may or may not be in the best long-term interest of the club, but the Cannetti interview also says he's not looking at major changes to the roster. A blockbuster trade such as that just isn't in the works at this time.

Barrett's out of contract and was paid more than better left backs in MLS in 2008. Re-signing him at the same or higher pay for 2009 would be a poor use of precious cap space IMO.

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can we pick up either a decent player or some allocation money by trading the DP slot for a year or two? (I'm assuming you can specify how many years of DP you trade -- that it is not permanent.)

23. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

dont forget that the salary cap will increase a little this next season.

also i think trading the DP slot for one year to a team who really wants a second slot and getting allocation money in return will help our cap situation.

and lastly and i know this is going to bring me some heat but here it goes.....DeRo is not IMO a player we have to have.Yes he is really good.Yes he plays both ways.But guys this is MLS and we have to accept that some tough moves have to be made in order to keep on the level of the top teams.

I say we sell DeRo to Toronto for big cash or Wynne.Put Holden in his spot and watch him become a star in this league.And use the money to upgrade the striker and back line positions.just my opinion.we also sell the DP slot for more cash and there you have it.A new strike partner with Ching Kamara.A new Midfield with Holden and maybe Wynne.and another cup.

24. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't say he's the next left back. I said he's shown he can be good cover at that position, so it seems strange Cannetti would mention depth at the back as a priority for this offseason unless they were planning on jettisoning Ianni, if in fact they are able to re-sign Boswell and Barrett.

I also don't think we'll be seeing Cam line up at left back. He's very right footed, which would seriously limit his effectiveness back there.

25. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Developmental players don't count against the cap anyway so the money saved there can't really be reinvested into the senior roster players.

Unless you want to piss Mulrooney off, I wouldn't ask him to take another pay cut. Mullan just restructured his contract last season too (although he got a pay raise). Ianni is a possibility the most likely would be Barrett, IMO, given his age and the fact that he's actually out of contract while the others are in the middle of their contract.

He hasn't played much but I'd like to see Chabala get a shot at Ianni like minutes (bench minutes...the occasional start if schedule or injuries come about)

Agreed. Ever since Toronto has entered the league, there has been "chatter" of him going there. I'll say what I've always said...he's not going to go to Toronto while there is still trophies to win here. He signed a new contract in 2007 that runs through 2010. I don't think he would have done that with the intent of forcing a trade during the 2009 or 2010 season and there's nothing that's happened in the last 2 years that would make him change his mind. In other words, De Rosario ain't going anywhere anytime soon unless something drastic changes.