Dynamo/MLS on TV... $$$$

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by brahmafutbol, Feb 5, 2014.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Which is what I just said above.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Free MLS Live is a good idea. But waiting until people have already started paying to announce it is pretty poor execution.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Not sure they even knew the renewal date was happening. Frankly, that likely isn't on many people's radar on the business side since that process is run by Chris on the IT side at MLS.

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't go to the Dynamo or MLS site or apps without the MLS Live ads appearing on the side or bottom screaming the price and I only got 3-4 renewal emails. Team had to know what the discounted renewal date was.

5. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So is the free MLS Live because of the CSN Houston fiasco? So now the FO is back to paying for people to watch their games.

6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Pretty sure if you poll 19 team executives you would be lucky to get one answer with knowledge of the date.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I received an email on 1/15 about the auto renewal date. If the front office wanted to know I'm pretty sure they could find out. If they really didn't know and weren't willing to spend 5 minutes to find out then that says a lot about how much effort they put into their jobs.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    get real. You think anyone in any FO follows MLS subscription timelines? How many things occur at your company that you don't know about even though they may have an ancillary relationship?

9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They likely know about MLS Live. It may have been a last minute decision that had to go through an approval process, where certain emails that say "Approved" were needed. They likely gambled a bit that people would be grateful for this $50 perk, and most had not renewed yet. I'm sure that the FO are very aware of the number of MLS Live subscriptions each year. Personally, I try not to get mad about gifts, or even losing $50 on this sport.

JC507 repped this.
  10. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yay, procrastination paid off! I was contemplating whether to renew or not and my card number changed so the renewal did not go through and was waiting until the 19th(?) to decide.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I doubt they follow it but the information was available and I do think they could have found the answer pretty easily.

The fact is the front office has a history of making decisions that reward people for waiting until the last minute for stuff which also means the fans that sign up early miss out or pay more than others. They improved on that with the renewal process last year but still have a long way to go.

redinthemorning and *rey* repped this.
  12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Fair enough here. I think they were just excited about offering it to people. I also think this issue impacts almost no one outside of us here.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I am actually 100% certain they are not; or rather it is buried is some marketing report. Remember how MLS runs their business. :)

Your point on approvals is a good one.

Heft repped this.
  14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If the FO doesn't pay attention to the statistics on who, and how many people are buying the subscription to watch their leagues matches then I am speechless. Maybe it's not as important as I thought. I figured it to be a good bellwether on the growth of the sport. Most people do not watch live matches at the stadium, and there is a growing number of people that use online media instead of television to watch sports.

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I am sure they have those numbers in totality. I didn't mean to imply MLS doesn't track viewer and demo data. I am also sure the details are in some weekly monthly report. I am also certain the MLS live breakout is of minimal importance to local business. They get no revenue and have no incentive to push that product particularly at the risk of TV ratings. (I also think numbers are small enough to not matter). MLS Live is an afterthought locally.

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I agree, I don't if affects a large percentage of people, and the people it does affect are going to be giving them their money anyway.

And like I said earlier I think it's a great idea it just could have been executed better. I also think there's a good chance something gets worked out for those of us affected by this.

17. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    how can it be an afterthought if there are people like me that have decided mlslive makes more sense fiscally than season tickets?

Heft repped this.
  18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You're right. Football, and managing the club, selling tickets, and finding partners are a priority. Being single-entity, they likely do not need to worry about those things. Sometimes I forget how small this market, and league is. They just cannot afford to market certain things that could bring in revenue, and improve the sport for more people.

troutseth repped this.
  19. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Afford sure, but also one of the downsides of centralized revenue is many things are on MLS central to do not a local FO. The Houston FO is not in charge, impacted directly, or incented to spend time on things like MLS Live. In fact if they tripled subscriptions locally, they only get 1/19th of the "profit" if there is any.

20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    BY THE WAY...MLS issued me a refund for those that complained before asking.

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's basically just what I said. They are part of MLS, and need not worry about marketing MLS Live. But it doesn't mean that they lack the basic understanding of an MLS Live subscription.

My point is that viewership of the MLS matches by paying subscribers, may be something of interest to them. I don't care that they gave out free subscriptions, and think its nice on their part though, and don't understand any anger directed toward them for this gesture.

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh I agree with that. But there is a difference between understanding the analytics and keeping track of implementation details like renewal dates as some imply they should know. They have no incentive to keep track of operational details of something they don't run.

23. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That, and they likely get a free subscription to MLS Live, and don't have to worry about buying a subscription.

24. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Correct

25. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I remember at least one team's STHs getting MLSL last year. I think it's a cool deal. Better than the free barbecue we got the first year (that wasn't what we call barbecue :) ).