Dynamo D - One of worst in league?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Jambon, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Only 4 teams have given up more goals than Houston and the Dynamo seem to be accelerating the pace of their generosity.

This is certainly a shock given the traditional team focus and even the beginning of this year when the defense looked solid. How to account for the dropoff - absences? lack of bite in midfield? I'm stumped.

2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Many of the goals are from mental errors and bad judgement.

3. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what everyone keeps saying. So in all honesty were fuking awesome and only we can beat ourselves right?

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's a good point. I expect that they'll be getting ready for the annual playoff run soon.

5. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number one problem in our defense is GEOFF CAMERON. He is just mailing it in in games now. Serious. He is not trying, his mind is already in Europe. I don't blame him, if clubs want him let him move.

The secondary problems are that Camargo has had a drop-off in performance and Hainault is better playing centrally. I know Hainault is slow but when Geoff Cameron leaves I think the shake-up will actually improve our defense. Whether Jermaine Taylor plays CB or Hainault, idk.

Barrelhead, Dynamo_Forever and troutseth repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron looks distracted - not disinterested but maybe pushing too hard to show for the scouts and playing outside of his game.

But the defensive issues include our midfield as well. Camargo has been subpar and Moffat has probably plateaued out in terms of his performance.

Dynamo_Forever and JC507 repped this.
  7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even begin to figure out what the overall problem is.

- In Vancouver Davis/Ashe get caught flat and burned like toast in the first few minutes of the game.
    - v. FCD and first goal in MTL Moffat just goes awol and lets the opponent run at our central def on the ground in the middle of the park unmolested.
    - In MTL Hainault is left 1 v 2 with no help on a freakin throw-in. A throw-in?
    - The team is turning the ball over in bad places repeatedly.

Overall though, I see this: The Dynamo repeatedly struggle to pressure the ball outside their own damn penalty box -- while their opponents pressure the ball and make it difficult for 2/3rds of the field. That observation suggests it is not a backline problem but an overall team offense/defense problem.

Last four games, VCW, FCD, TFC & MTL I've thought the Dynamo were the second best team on the field. First dozen games this year I thought the Dynamo were the best team on the field, though SJE was more even to slightly SJE.

8. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    The Dynamo had their late run last year with Hall, the Ashe-Boswell-Cameron-Hainault line and Moffat-Camargo in the middle of the middle.

So of course this year is different. This sport...

Does Camargo really want to play here in Houston? Is he in this 100%? He just hasn't really done it, has he?

Is the thought of England THAT distracting to Cameron? A true pro would not let that destroy his game, even if it's big sh*t to him. Geoff can't be that thrown off, can he?

Have the other teams figured it out now? Are we underestimating MLS parity?

Central defenders are not supposed to be "freaky fast, foo" but... Boswell is getting up there in age. However the D problems are a collective issue, beyond the GK and defenders.

Overall this looks like some sort of collective mental WTF going on right now. Dom can only do so much, he must be mad right now.

I can't avoid thinking, though, that this has happened before... as in last year and it sorted itself out...

9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I feel that the quality of play in MLS has gone up over the last few weeks. There is parity but the league is improving. The tactics even seem better this month with more teams opening up their game versus parking the bus.

10. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh, I don't think the competition has gotten any better, I think that after the first 8-10 games teams are seeing patterns on film that allow them to exploit weaknesses. Such as Cameron being aggressive up top and losing marks on free kicks, Hainult's speed, Ashe's ball handling under pressure, etc.

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So we're just getting worse while the competition is the same? You could be right, but watching Toronto, Montreal, and Portland's recent play and form I think that they have shown signs that they have improved, while it's hard to say if VAN has improved. I think the league has been getting better every quarter over the last few seasons. The Dynamo have been terrible this season in defense and offense, but for a while I think we were fooled by the amount of possession they controlled. It seems that the midfield is now declining in form as well. I think statistically without Taylor, the Dynamo also are weaker in the midfield because they are not getting the great passing that JT has brought in a few matches.

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Oh I am sure that Montreal and Toronto are getting better; but they are not as good as some of the teams we have beaten earlier in the year. So from the Dynamo perspective, the overall competition level is not getting better. Teams are better able to scout us as the season goes on and are able to exploit our weaknesses. If you couple that fact with the sheer amount of mental mistakes we have been making all year (missing marks on free kicks, playing on wrong side of strikers during crosses form the wings) you get what we have seen the last few weeks. I agree with you that the midfield is the start of many of our issues, but even with the midfield the way we have it set up . . . we have given up 7 goals in two games and 4-5 of them don't happen without a final mistake by our final four.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX

Oh, I also wanted to add to one of your comments. I agree 100% with you that we have been fooled by our possession. I heard the phrase after a national team game, "possession with a purpose." I think that applies to the Dynamo. A lot of times we hold steady with a high percentage of possession but does it have a purpose? Is it furthering the attack? Is it successful in breaking down defenses? For the most part the answer is no. So having a large amount of possession can be very misleading especially against teams that don't apply high pressure. Your right, our possession numbers do not equate to our skill level on the pitch right now.

*Although I will point out while our offense looks anemic, thanks to Bruin we are in the top half in the league.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think the Seattle match really proves that your comments are spot on, possession wise. Everybody was saying the Dynamo outplayed Seattle but still lost by two goals. They Dynamo have been impressive at times, and very fun to watch, but toothless.

I am hoping that Bruin can continue to improve, and score goals because he's all that we have right now.

15. ForeverOrange91

May 27, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may have played like one of the worst defenses lately, but I don't think that we are actually one of the worst. This defense has the ability to play well (as seen towards the end of last year), but they just aren't consistently showing that ability this year. Some really good performances have been overshadowed by one or two silly mistakes that have led to goals, making the overall play seem a lot worse than it is due to the result.

I tend to agree with those who have said that our weaknesses are starting to be exposed. This is something I was thinking about earlier - in any given game the Dynamo play, it is likely that only one of our back four is playing his natural position. It's something I've always known but never truly thought about before. Cameron, Ashe, and Sturgis are converted midfielders, and Hainault and Taylor are CBs trying to play out wide. This leaves Boswell as the only player playing the position that he is most experienced at.

On the surface, this means nothing, and we've seen this group play together like they've been playing together all of their lives. I think even DK had to be surprised how well the defense came together last year by the playoffs. But, now that more teams have had more time to see the strengths and weaknesses of these individual players and the group as a whole, they're having much more success against them. Couple that with the fact that these players (especially Cameron and Ashe) still may be having growing pains while getting used to their new position, and we're bound to see a few poor performances here and there. While I would like to see us at some point acquire a true fullback capable of playing both sides of the ball, I think this group is still plenty capable of being one of the top defenses in MLS.

anderson repped this.
  16. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about mentality.

Dynamo think: "Vancouver played like crap last year. They look like crap this year."
    Outcome: Dynamo lose 3-1.

Dynamo think: "Dallas? You mean 'Frisco'."
    Outcome: Barely win 2-1.

Dynamo think: "Toronto FC? They're in dead last in the league and play like s***."
    Outcome: Come from behind tie. Thankfully not a loss.

Dynamo think: "Montreal's an expansion team and we got Ching back. They're screwed."
    Outcome: Dynamo slammed 4-2.

What Dynamo should think against Philly: "Philadelphia doesn't have Le Toux, but they can still play." And they will.

17. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think BB at the back is way too slow...he got to go..Ashes is trying but his physical height just gave it away...I just hope those uneducated fan do not start Sh*t again about firing Dom.Another thing the fans in the stadium seem to be not cheering as much as before...what up with that...I see the Dynamo Girl have to rally up section 211 and 212 like " GO" one section and the "DYNAMO" scream on another section..Can someone tell me it if it is still illegal to bring in the Vuvuzela Trumpet...we need some noise !!!

18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's illegal.

I don't think there's a problem with people cheering. The stadium has been rocking at every match I've been to.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  19. DynamoHum

DynamoHum Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Yielding 7 goals in 2 games can never look good.

But I'm not overly concerned because of the nature of the goals.

Versus TFC, I, like Eddie, was convinced two of the scores were from off side.
    The remainder was a pretty good play from Toronto that you just tip your hat to.

Versus the Impact, the first goal through Cameron's legs looked bad but I'm not sure its symptomatic.
    The second goal - the cross from the left - found Ashe's mark. Corey leaped for it but you can't fault him for being the height he is. The remaining goals - a deflection off a corner and a soft foul in the box yielding a PK - this kinda ca-ca occurs.

For now, I chalk it up to fixture congestion and goofy plays.

But I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks if they don't clean things up.

20. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second goal- I'm not blaming Corey for his height, I'm blaming him for giving his man that much room. If he's tight on him and puts a body on him, no way he scores that goal. Horrible positioning. Height had nothing to do with that goal.

21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to look at the play that let Mapp get to the end line with no pressure -- able to pick out whoever he wants in the box.

Hainault winds up 1v2 after a throw in. I'm not sure who Dom expects to be over helping Hainault in that situation, Clark (the LM) or Moffat (the CDM), but somewhere that is a blown assignment.

anderson and JC507 repped this.
  22. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cha-ching !!!

The money quote.

This is EXACTLY it. No need to look for any further explanations.

23. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Height should never really be a big factor for outside backs. If they have talent they should perform.

anderson and JC507 repped this.
  24. KRAZYKAT

KRAZYKAT Member

Jul 12, 2008
    South Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Height , Speed , Skill is one of the factors is Futbol especially in defense !!!

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think this is spot on, and I wonder if our current midfield is up to task. That being said, what bothers me about the back four is is the mental mistakes from bad passes, to missed marks. Those are mistakes we didn't make last year. I wonder, if we were to go back over tapes - did I midfield really play better last year or was the back four just cleaning up their mess like they are not this year?