Dynamo coverage in the Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Hungryjack, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't read the Chron.com and likely never will unless there's an emergency, but from what I gather, Ortiz is like a blogger or something?

2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Double post

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He's something in between a biased hack and a paid troll.

But yes he is the head blogger for the Chron and is pretty much the entirety of the Chron's Dynamo coverage.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Also, I just sent Ortiz an e-mail directly. This guy is too much of a clown to be covering this team. I almost feel like walking into the Chronicle office and asking him why he has to be such a douche.

Doubt the coward will respond, since he's too busy burying his nose in El Tri's asshole.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There does need to be an independent reporter that is not beholden to the FO, MLS, or it's sponsors. Most of the news I get is from bloggers, and forum posters if its not from MLS. I know that there's probably not much or any revenue to cover that now, but maybe a part time gig for an intern. I wonder how many people would buy the paper for better Dynamo coverage besides a couple hundred at the most.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he is at the Chronicle office much, those beat guys usually just work from home and wherever the team is playing/practicing. Although there is a pretty good chance you can find him hanging out with Roger Clemens somewhere.

Look, he isn't changing nor is the Chronicle changing things. At this point, as long as they report news on the team, that's the best we are going to get.

Though it is sort of interesting all of the shots he is taking at the team now - "minor-league baseball mentality", failure to sell and market the team, calling their press conferences jokes and open to the public. I can be as critical as anyone towards the team and FO but I'm not seeing much they have done or haven't done that would really generate serious concern thus far.

Maybe Brahma or Nigel know, they are his buddies.

7. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually want a job at the Chron, and I'm going to send some writing samples. I'll be the ying to Ortiz's yang. I'll keep on talking about how great the USMNT is, and how Canetti did an amazing job selling opening day. I'll bet y'all $5 that y'all will be here talking shit about me in a week. lol

Borrachin, cfig, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  8. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    We already talk shit about you.

:D

9. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Douché. My bad, I mean, touché.

Levy2k6 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Look Ponce and others,

Speaking for myself - this has nothing to do with what teams he supports or what his ethnicity is or where he was born. I actually agree with some of his opinions occaisionally.

Based on the merits of his body of work - he should be canned IMO.
    If you don't agree with this point then fine, but my beef is with his unprofessional and unentertaining performance as a reporter / writer.

Don't include me in your conspiracy that a bunch of USMNT / Dynamo kool-aid drinkers are on a witch hunt to get rid of him.

Bring back Fallas!

7seven7, DrLudicrous and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  11. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be interested in knowing how many folks actually pay for a subscription to the Chronicle as compared to the ones who seem to be upset with the free product.

I've had a subscription for donkeys ages, probably because I like to actually hold a newspaper in my hands while sitting at the breakfast table - just a long habit. The only part of the Sports section I ever read is when there is Dynamo coverage, I'm not interested in any other sport.

There are many things in the Chronicle that I disagree with mainly because of the political slant that seems to be placed on things written by the usual oped folks. But even though I disagree, and try to avoid reading them, I'd never go so far as to complain to the newspaper or petition for the removal or replacement of someone who relies on their chosen profession to feed their family.

Lisa Falkenberg, Peggy Fifack, etc are hired I assume by the newspaper to provide their opinions on current affairs. If I disagree, I'm entitled to (1)ignore the opinion (2) comment on it (3) drop my subscription (4) complain about it over here (5) etc.

But we live in a free society where folks are free to voice their opinions, disagree, demand replacement and/or removal. You guys calling for change at the Chronicle will undoubtedly have exactly the same effect as my demanding that Sheila Jackson Lee support the annexation of the North Forest Independent School District by HISD.

Is anyone satisfied with the empty seats in the stadium? I think that it is a fair question to ask and I'm sure that the FO is asking themselves the same thing. Does anyone have any answers? If so, why not pass them along to help promote the team. Last year, I passed along a suggestion about BBVA and Dynamo credit card branding and Voila they took it up (unfortunately my most recent suggestion has yet to be acted on)

At yesterdays game there were lots of green and white jerseys sitting in areas that are normally occupied by Orange. Were they the same folks who just changed their affiliation for the game, or did they get their tickets from Dynamo faithful who decided to forgo the game? I noticed that a couple of the suites were occupied by green and white also.

12. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't give my opinion on his writing, because I think he's a cool dude. Take that as you will.

brahmafutbol repped this.
  13. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I hear the Chronicle also has an incredible fan blogger. LOL

*rey* repped this.
  15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    It's a fair question to ask, but the personal insults towards Canetti are unprofessional. Letting some personal agenda take over his writing is one of the reasons people consider him a poor writer.

troutseth, cfig and JC507 repped this.
  16. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    My 2 cents. I'm a subscriber to the Chron. I don't think Ortiz is the best writer out there. I know that several people who write on this forum could do much better, and that's a little frustrating since he's the guy who gets paid to do that job. Usually, that's about as far as I go in my criticism..."he's not the best." But this morning's story was just messed up.

There certainly were large numbers of Santos supporters. But Jesus' line about the place being dominated by green and white is just silly. To me, it really read like he was specifically trying to say "FU" to all of the Dynamo folks in places like BigSoccer who have been complaining about him. I think he crossed a line this morning, I really do. It wasn't just sloppy writing it was a personal agenda. As Westside has said numerous times (and I really don't like agreeing with Westside) Ortiz' blogs and tweets have been edgier than his columns, and that's OK to a degree. But today's column I think was intended as an insult to us. I don't know the guy, I'm just saying how it felt when I read it.

As for the numbers of green shirts in the lower bowl I already posted my opinion about the STH's who apparently didn't want to attend. And I'm pretty sure that most of them didn't attend because they are afraid of a Mexican crowd. "Those" people get drunk and rowdie! All I know is that if the sth's came to the game, then we wouldn't have to worry about drunk and rowdie outsiders because they wouldn't have access to the tickets! Any bad behavior from opposing supporters is enabled because STH's abandoned their seats.

From my own personal experience at CCL games, last night being no different...I have had supporters of Mexican teams sitting around me many times. The only thing I have ever experienced is good natured opposing fan behavior. They cheer their team, I cheer mine, we rub it in when our side gets and advantage just like anyone would at a baseball game where you had two white guys rooting for the Astros and the Phillies sitting next to each other.No harm, no foul.

It bugs the heck out of me that people stay away. These are potentially the most exciting games our guys play.

7seven7, JC507, *rey* and 1 other person repped this.
  17. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to see more posts that agree with my teacher and prophet Westside Cosmo. I'm telling y'all to jump on the bandwagon before it seems like y'all just wanna be cool.

#TeamWestie

redinthemorning repped this.
  18. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Why is his reference to a large number of Santos fans in attendance a big FU to Dynamo fans? It was a fact. He was reporting it. That is all. We as Dynamo fans need to have a little thicker skin.....There have been plenty of CCL matches and/or Charities Cup matches which discuss the number of fans wearing jerseys for the other team before. With the All-Star game there was discussions about the number of Man U jerseys in the crowd. US v. Mexico at Reliant discussed green v. red/white/blue. Why take something like that and make it personal? IMHO, I would rather focus on the fact that the SG's drowned out the green and white shirts in attendance and were great all game.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ok cool. What time is the Stormfront meeting?

ImaPuppy repped this.
  20. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a forum now, bro, no need for actual meetings.

*Link has been removed by moderator*

Heft repped this.
  21. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    He didn't "refer" to the large number of fans. He wrote that Santos coach saw the stadium dominated by green and white. As if it were a Santos home game. That's just absurd to anyone who was there. There is no reason to write that sentence unless he was either A) Trying to say FU to his critics or B) a complete and total moron. I don't think he's a moron.

22. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm immensely saddened by this.

I realize that in the ruling Dowlen v. State, 14 Tex. Ct. App. 61, 1883 WL 8865, at *3 (1883), it was held that it was appropriate to "inflict moderate corporal punishment for the purpose of restraining or correcting the refractory" individual. But surely we have moved past those days of the cat o nine tails, the birch, the paddle, the cane, and other such devices of corporal punishment.

Whats next - public stoning?

cougarclaws repped this.
  23. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I object! I've been stoned in public on several ocassions and I found it to be absolutely enjoyable!

El Naranja repped this.
  24. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was this one time when I was a freshman in college and it I was about to take my physics final----

25. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iron Maiden

[​IMG]

CeltTexan and Beavis Stiffler repped this.