Dynamo acquire Omar Cummings from the Rapids for Nathan Sturgis and allocation money

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Dec 22, 2012.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we stick to the Dom's tree trunk forward up top, Ching/Bruin, to play back to goal and have a strike partner running off that approach, than adding a speedy class forward like Cummings to come on for Carr or start in Cup play is great news!

2. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Carr may be a long ways out from being match fit. This trade is a great stop-gap measure that may become permanent.

3. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching a movie about a cyborg of sorts that's built in a futuristic city that's quite literally ran by a bunch of peasants. Well this got me thinking...We need more players that are willing to run all game and do nothing but defend. Everyone of our defenders seems to score a goal every once in a while. We need a defender that just stays defending all the time. I guess I'm only typing this because I'm going to give y'all the best Christmas gift of all...

[​IMG]
    http://www.veoh.com/watch/e41660

4. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Omar is more talented than any striker we have now - great pickup if it is not costing too much.
    I jumped out of my chair when I heard this news.

CeltTexan repped this.
  5. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I think unfortunately that we have to start considering Caleb might be done or just not the same guy when he returns.
    I thought our "Droid" was going back to Prague?

6. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Carr is 30 years old with a major knee injury on top of a history of knee injuries. Don't get me wrong. If he can recover and come back as strong as before, then I'm all for it, but this just looks like a career-ender to me. If we can get a level of performance out of Cummings that is on par with Carr at the end of last season when he was hot, then this is yet another very shrewd pickup for Kinnear.

metroag repped this.
  7. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    well i just want to chime in here.,...i hope the above is not true....Calen to me is our MOST dangerous player with the ball at his feet besides Boniek. I believe with all the advances and recovery methods out there for his surgery and with drive he will recover and be back...Adrian Peterson is one example of guys coming back early even,and excelling...i know its throwball and not football,but it does speak well for Calens chances....
    As for Cummings ,i was very excited as well...With Omar we could put him out wide in a 4-3-3 or up top to run of Bruin/Ching in a 4-2-2..with Calen back and healthy and Omar we have serious depth at that position..The only negative here to me is the waiving of Rolfe...i wish that didnt have to happen but it s bizness....
    I also think this means the end for Mac Kandji which saddens me..I love the guy. He is a beast..But just as we found out with Oduro,,if yo ucant finish at a high enought rate ,you cant play for Dom...We are a team competing for trophys every year,,,when you play for Dynamo you cant be so so....the competition for spots must always be intense and that makes us a better team...

One top notch signing away from another cup final IMO...

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carr's career has been hit with a lot of injuries, not sure this is a career ender but it's sort of like Colin Clark, you can only come back so many times from major injuries before wear and age erodes your skills.

A lot probably depends upon how much other non-ACL damage he got in the knee.

Now on Cummings, there seems to be great debate of what his salary budget hit is. I would agree that $96K seemed far too low last year for players with similar performance, but remember that many of the Jamaican/Caribbean players usually come to MLS with very low or depressed salaries because their leagues are so poor. Which is why he may have a big spike in his deal or an easy bonus that kicks in.

Once again, this was a good use of allocation money as they can only use it in so many ways and some of it expires this year I assume, so trading it can get you good value.

9. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here.

I immediately thought, "Another masterstroke by Canetti and Kinnear."

10. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  11. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking we may have been better off keeping Sturgis. The rapids knew something we didn't? Get healthy Omar!