Review: Dutch NT - WC 2014 preparation thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Dec 3, 2013.

1. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Should LvG give a few Vitesse-players (like Van Aanholt) a chance? They and Ajax seem to be the only consistently well performing teams in the Eredivisie this season.

2. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, media quotes are usually a very reliable source. Esp. De Telegraaf!

/Sarcasm off

I do share your feeling though. I think we are gonna go far. Again. :) Heard it here first. Beat Spain, beat the Assies, draw Chile, beat Brazil or who ever and then we'll just win the whole thing.

/optimism off
    Wake me up on July 14th!

3. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Imagine Van Gaal giving post match interviews to the English media :eek:. The Sun will be calling for war against Holland within a month...

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I think this January window will be quiet. Maybe one or two players looking for a move to increase their chances playing in the W.C (Sneijder? :p), but my hunch is there won't be too many (established) players will risk themselves changing clubs with W.C looming. Agreed on Rooney. He and Van Persie together are deadly. The problem is in the midfield and out wide, where nobody can really create opening.

I thought it was a very comfortable save. Straight shot. Krul had it all the way.

5. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    At present Van Aanholt should get a call up, much better than Jetro. Propper I think will/should be decided by competition & performances. Velthuizen, I am not sure, seems shaky with ball at feet.

Anyone calling for Leerdam & Van der Heijden as some do on Voetbalzone comment section, must be joking.

6. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    yeah, I was talking about Van Aanholt and Pröpper, who're doing well for Vitesse this season. I have my doubts about Van Der Wiel, who's still defensively inconsistent. Büttner would increase his chances if he went on loan to another EPL side in January.

We shouldn't discuss that board filled with ignorant teenagers.

7. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Which FB is defensively sound?

Willems is a disaster, Van Rhijn is suspect and Janmaat is average defensively. Buttner is a disaster defensively.

They are all Very Good Offensively average to poor defensively

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    van Aanholt was in the squad and got playing time in the last friendly match.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Büttner should be converted into a winger where he doesnt have to track back defensively as much, and where his attacking qualities can be developed better

10. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree and I absolutely feel the same for Willems who has good skills attacking wise bar his cross but has no defensive sense.

I hope these guys are converted early or they may end up with a career like Urby

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Chileans want to become your new Angstgegner:

Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Löw said: "Germany insist they are following Fifa's renting procedures". You just know they are breaking FIFA rules, they just having been caught yet....LOL

14. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We getting new kits for the world cup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.. this will be last NT shirt worn by some of our top players.

15. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Emanuelson has had a decent first half and was a few times at Roma's box against Roma.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Strootman with another assist

17. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Strootman scored a penalty goal.

18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Also made the run and the perfect launch that allowed Gervinho to win the penalty.

He is important in this game.

That being said, I do not like how slow Stroot reacts when Roma puts up a handball defense around their box. At times he sees people wanting to shoot and then is too late to block it. Rossi is much better in this respect. It frustrates me. I want Stroot to react with more venom in those situations as I have seen it now time and again.

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Urby with an excellent display of football today. Both offensively and especially defensively!
    He needs to get a look in our next friendly vs France.

Also was stretchered off, possible concussion :unsure:

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Was Strootman the one playing Zapata on when he scored the 1-1? Things like that. Despite looking like a guy with a high work rate (make penetrating runs) and fire (getting angry and standing up to opponents and referee with a rage face), he responds casual and simply too slow at times towards urgency and "fires".

He also had that weird action at the end were he flips the ball back over his head so that Milan had a chance to score.

His technique is better than I initially thought. That view of him I am going to up a bit now. he is not that bad a dribbling and then also shielding the ball at the same time. Just carrying it upward a bit. He can also take a penalty while waiting until the keeper moves. Those kind of players generally do have a higher kind of control. Mendietta was the master of this trick. His passes long but also in the final third towards running players are very often perfectly weighted. He finds the football solution more than in the past. This last point could also be a result of the Serie A playing walk football at times. The tempo in Serie A is just low often. Then players have also the time to think of solutions more often and look around. I will revisit this point when he makes his way in EPL ( I think sooner or later an EPL club will come knocking). Then we can see if it suddenly goes too fast for him and his quality was the result of also playing in an environment to excel more.

All in all Nigel, Urby and Kevin belonged to the better players in this game.

21. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I can see United making a bid sooner or later, but what if he ends up like Kagawa and Anderson - as a benchwarmer?

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nope, Strootman has the physical strength to play in the EPL, Kagawa and Anderson dont. Although you could argue maybe Anderson does more so.

The biggest question around Strootman is can he handle the quicker pace of EPL.
    I think he can, because his pass accept/and release is very quick, he barely needs time to think. Once he has his pass he's already almost released it to the next player.

When you can do that you dont need pace (see Paul Scholes)

23. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If physical strength was the only needed skill to succeed in the EPL, having Fellaini would be enough. Yet it's quite the opposite. It's not whether Strootman can handle the EPL, it's what his coach is planning to do with him. A very talented player like Kagawa barely gets any minutes, and still isn't installed in the team while he certainly does have the talent to succeed at a club like United. Players like Silva and Cazorla already disproved the ''no phsyical strength = no chances to succeed in EPL'' argument. If his fate is like Anderson or Kagawa's, going to United wouldn't be a good option at all, although I doubt something like that would happen since they severely lack a good DM/CM at the moment.

24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Look at the final minutes of the game when he is in the box of Milan and Muntari taking the ball off him. he needed too much time there and had no solution ready. Maybe a bit of communication from team mates would have helped, but in the box a player knows that every split second counts. His handling speed still needs to up IMO. Also keep in mind he does everything with his left foot. Everything. That limits his solution finding (excecution) as well.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bottom line is nobody really knows if Strootman will exceed or flop until he's given a chance in midfield for United. He may very well flop, but I dont think so. He has too much talent