Review: Dutch NT - WC 2014 preparation thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's a very tough group.

Chile is a very dangerous team, and Spain speaks for themselves. Whoever loses to Australia will be in big trouble. LvG needs to select the right defenders, because that's the biggest weakness of this Dutch national squad at the moment. Tough, but not impossible

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany have the toughest group.

Also we have to win our group or we play Brazil most likely next. I can't see Brazil finishing 2nd

4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    How were you guys not a seeded team? That is still a mystery to me.

Anyway, good luck to you. I'd like to see you qualify along with us.

5. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah if we don't win the group, we are in trouble. Brazil in the round of 16 would almost definitely mean an early exit. Chile is beatable, Australia is a must beat, and if we draw against Spain, it could be our best bet.

6. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have no idea why Chile is so under-estimated. They have got Sanchez, Vidal, Isla and a few good players. More importantly the WC is in Brazil and after Brazil-Argentina, Chile-Uruguay are going to be difficult teams. These are the teams which can cause upsets against any team.

4 points with a draw vs Spain and a big win vs Australia is a must to boost Goal Difference. Chile match might be decisive.

Also Group B Runners are in for a tough ask. Facing Brazil in Brazil will be very very hard

JAIME CHILE, Blondo and Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I agree that meeting Brazil in round of 16 is deadly.

8. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't like this draw at all.

Spain and Chile are dangerous teams.
    And to top it all, the R16 could be against Brazil.
    I don't want a repeat of the EURO 2012 group stage.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  9. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    It's a group where all teams are going to lose points.
    Chile is not a bad team.
    Australia always does some crazy things.
    So everything is possible.

10. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    because the KNVB decided to go on an Asia trip with games against China and Indonesia. Without the Indonesia game we would have kept the fifth position on the FIFA ranking. But it is how it is.
    We just have to be better than at least 2 of the other teams in the group. After this every game is a final.

11. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Terrible draw. In order to progress beyond the first knockout round, Netherlands will have to either (1) beat out Spain and Chile for first (unlikely) or (2) upset Brazil in the first knockout round (also unlikely).

Anything can happen...but compare that scenario to the one where Netherlands replaced Switzerland in their group. All due to a friendly game in Indonesia.

Blondo and DRB300 repped this.
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Chilean climate is nothing like Brazil. they will not have any advantage on that point. They were only good when Bielsa was manager. IMO, they are not a concern. Our team can beat anybody including Brazil (we did it in 2010) or Spain. We will again get out of the pool.

13. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It's not the first time the KNVB's incompetent planning screws over the national team. I recall some problems with locations in Euro 2012 and WC90 in Italy.

Not an easy draw but at least Spain and Chili play good entertaining football which suits us. The side that loses points to Australia has a problem. I *really* would like to avoid Brazil, as I'm sure they haven't forgotten 2010 yet.

Nikkimau repped this.
  14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What happened in 1990?

15. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This is a bit different though. Spain are ridiculous stacked and their 2nd team is better than almost everyone's first team.

Look at this -

Casillas -
    Ramos - Pique - Puyol - Alba
    Xavi Busquets Iniesta
    Silva Costa Mata

Reina/Valdes
    Arbeloa - Inigo Martinez - Albiol/Bartra - Nacho/Azpi
    Xabi - Martinez - Fabregas
    Cazorla - Negredo - Isco

The defense is weak for both teams but the mid-field, GK and forward are all top class.

Beating Brazil in Brazil is a different cookie.

Caesar
    Alves - Silva - Luiz/Dante - Marcelo
    Gustavo - Paulinho/Ramires - Oscar
    Hulk/Lucas - Pato/Daimao/Fred - Neymar.

The FB's are very attacking, the CB's are amazing. The Mid-field has grit, still and drive. Neymar is Neymar and Hulk-Lucas are good players. The CF looks comparatively weak but Pato or Daimao could suddenly do amazing.

Scholari is a WC Winning Coach and the team seems to be motivated with a Winner's Mentality. They are playing @ home. It's not going to be easy

16. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The pre-tournament preparation and heat acclimatization for the matches in Sicily was done in Croatia, where it was 5C at the time...

DRB300 repped this.
  17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  19. Nikkimau

Nikkimau Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Belgium is indeed very lucky with the draw and travel schedule.
    But it looks a short stay as well. I mean, Portugal or Germany in R16.

21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Someone screwed the pooch ... now we need to bribe the referees too :whistling: ... I'm hoping group G turns into a war of attrition ... not only a GOD but has the smell of a Group Of Sweat too. Would have loved stronger attacking teams in H and a more balanced group G ... but hey I was already happy landing that group when the pot 1 teams were drawn (regardless of who was about to join us). A possible QF opponent would be Argentina ... expect them to sail through their group and then go full steam after beating one of the easier R16 candidates ... so even if we get to the QFs our little vacation will definitely be over. I'd like to avoid Germany ... ideally we both end up runners-up in our groups ... possibly facing the Swiss or French in the QFs ... regardless, a survivor of the GOD will have its confidence boosted going into the R16 while our group is filled with banana peels (even Capello's Russia is much more defensive minded than when Hiddink or Advocaat were in charge and it's not Russia2018 yet). Got lucky with the group ... got KO stage of Death instead.

Without selling Spain or Chile short ... I'm expecting Holland to either top the group or come in second ... at least you could have a shot at e.g. Croatia. Although it will be dry and around 20C at the venues where you'll be playing ... I wouldn't like to trade places ... well maybe switch Algeria and Chile if we get a shot at an easier opponent in the R16.

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    RvP back on pitch. Looked rusty. Had a goal correctly disallowed. The men behind him were simply poor, and he stood in an island for most of the time. Quiet day for Krul, didn't remember he made any significant saves.

So.. Moyes is deep in the water. If M.U falls outside the top 4 (missing out on C.L), which looks more and more likely, I can't imagine he will be allowed to continue despite his massive 6-years contract. Louis Van Gaal taking over at M.U? :whistling:

23. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    van Persie put Hernandez 1 vs 1 against Krul. Krul stoped him.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think so. Sir Alex clearly knew that it was the right time to leave last spring given the team has a lot of older players and no really solid midfielders (though Cleverly did look good at times today). ManU have lots of money and it won't be surprising to see them pick up a couple of players in January. They are also a much better team with Rooney in the lineup.

25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands