Review: Dutch NT - WC 2014 preparation thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Veltman was put on a high horse, but fell to earth in the last few months. He was awful against Colombia, he was dreadful against Red Bull and last evening again making bad decisions that forced him to hang on the emergency brakes and as such draws cards like a rampant magician.
    Not the kind of player I see facing off Spain or Chili.

I kind of have a laugh when a certain Ajax poster continually disses Janmaat, when he is by far the best defender we have.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But the best of a poor lot is still not very good. Everything is relative.

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As I said awhile back the unfortunate truth is that most of the players in the Oranje setup have almost zero European experience and this is causing much stress for us supporters as no World Class players is on the horizon.
    Some good looking talents but very immature and inexperienced for this level.
    The loss of Strootman is a crushing blow as he would have been a breakthrough performer.
    As for the World Class talents Sneijder sadly is not there any longer and his decision to move to Galatasaray was obviously all about money and Van Gaal was right to persuade him to join a team in England, but Wesley who I love was too greedy and Gala was the option for the $$$$ .
    Van Persie has had a rough season and is probably also about to fall from the World Class level leaving Robben as the only true World Class player.
    The defensive unit is very shaky and the thought of Ron Vlaar as automatic selection is embarrassing. The man is a robot with zero pace and little ability on the ball.
    Who will be in the goal is anybody's guess but Cilissen is not ready for this imo.
    Very worried I am about things.

4. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What are you smoking?

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Huntelaar scored another goal today.

Schalke are in 2nd place with Dortmund having one game in hand. Not bad!!

6. Instead of insinuating things you should better counter what I post. So because of the bald typo of my remarks on his Columbia play, you seem to forget that he gave the Columbia striker a fat chance to score after a stupid mistake, which he has been repeating in matches after that. I suggest you look up his ratings in his matches this year and stop smoking what you are smoking when you posted your reaction.

7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pretty simple to counter, Veltman and Janmaat play different positions! The brutal fact is that none of our central defenders are as good as the three who got us to the finals four years ago (Heitinga's rapid loss of form is one of the most amazing things I've ever witnessed in sports in a long time given he is not all that old for a central defender). Remember when Oojier stepped in and did a more than decent job? The real question for LvG is whether he will start de Jong to help steel up the defense as he's really the only player who can do this as a midfielder.

8. I wasnot comparing Janmaat and Veltman on their positions, but on how they were treated in posts overhere. Bigging up the one and shitting down the other.

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ooijer has been one of Oranje's best and most underrated defenders ever. Go watch some of the games he was in again and see how dominating he was. He made some mistakes as well, but generally he was always excellent.

He's a classic example of not being a star at club level, but performing really well for his country. A bit like Milan Baros for Czecho

Orange14 repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Janmaat is the first choice at right fullback! Yes, you heard this from me!!!!

11. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Euh... Should I be surprised?? Or is my sarcas-o-meter on the blink?

To quote a certain coffee brand... Who else?

12. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Verhaegh and Van der Wiel. Janmaat had a good synch with Robben during the qualifiers so might get the nod, VDW plays at the highest level and Verhaegh might be a tactical option due to being more defense oriented. Nothing is certain yet.

13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vidal just taken out of Napoli game injured.

I hate to gloat over a serious injury, but would you rather face Chile with Vidal or without him??

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    False alarm, Vidal returned to the game. I blame Ray Hudson

15. MrOranjeBal

MrOranjeBal Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I blame you for getting my hopes up... ;)

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Since I saw you guys debating Huntelaar and RVP, thought I'd post this. While also asking why is RVP the current captain and what are the odds that Huntelaar starts with/or above RVP ?

http://afootballreport.com/post/81679322934/goalscorers-dont-sit-on-benches-and-neither

Antario2 repped this.
  17. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd go with Veltman or Indi despite the errors as I watched bits of the last 3-4 PSV matches and Rekik was probably the worst of the PSV Defense.

18. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Huntelaar has good stats but is a flat track bully. His goal record against high level opposition is not great and can't hold up play, which is fairly essential for a Dutch NT striker. RVP rarely turns up in important games, but at least has the skills and to threaten top level defenses.

RVP and Robben were made captain and vice captain to reflect their status as the most senior and key players of the team. Van Gaal's attack has been built around them. Sneijder lost the captaincy due his poor physical shape and lack of playing time at Inter.

Huntelaar will only start if RVP is injured.

19. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Huntelaar is a Flat Track Bully is not true y. When was Huntelaar given a chance against Top opposition against and failed?

Maybe the Euro 2012 BS where he was dropped for all the friendlies before the Tournament after breaking records in the Qualifiers. He was dropped for 2 Straight Games in the Grou when RVP was missing sitters and he got a chance in the 3rd game when BVM had lost the locker room, where he had Sneijder in LW, VDV at CM, RVP at CAM and in the final 20-30 minutes BVM got Robben to play LB type. That was a joke.

This has been done to death but RVP got 1 WC Goal in 7 games while Hunter got 1 in 15 minutes.

And the gap in skill level is not even much today. RVP is slow and has the turning radius and handling speed of a tank compared to what he was. The Hold-up play of Huntelaar being made an issue is by delusional fans. Yea he's no Messi, but he is not Carrol. De Jong brothers, Dost, Wolf all have much much worse hold-up play than Hunter(Siem maybe on par with Hunter).

20. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Four seasons of Bundesliga football where his goal record is heavily based on goals against bottom half and where he is rarely if ever decisive in games against the top teams.

21. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Which Top Team? Nobody scores against Bayern and he has plenty of goals against Leverkusen like teams.

Who would be scoring against Bayern with this Schalke team? Not even Kluivert or Van basten. Schalke can't even get the ball for a decent time let alone create chances against this Bayern

22. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    #322 Antario2, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Top 8 in any given season.

I'm not a big RVP fan, but Huntelaar doesn't have the same ability on the ball. He is a goal scorer, ideally for a team that sends him deep on the break. Van Gaal has said he intends to play an attacking game, and that is not where Huntelaar strenghts lie. He can't play with his back to the goal, needs service, has little to offer in terms of hold up play or link up with inverted wingers.

23. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Which is untrue. RVP does not offer much either nowadays. Is slow, injury prone and has the handling speed of a truck. Hunter has never been a Counter Attack ST. Yes he needs service, but his hold-up/link-up play if fine. It is not RVP like. He does have the technical skills but it is not Wolf or Luuk De Jong or Dost Level either.

Besides RVP has proved that he can single handedly destroy the hopes of a generation with his horrible play. Sum total including his technical skills is 0.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jesus sounds like he def does not get the love back home that he gets in England. How did he become your NT top scorer?

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The fact that LvG and RvP were sitting together at last Sunday's Vitesse-Ajax match and seemingly having a good time tells you all you need to know about who the #1 striker on the NT will be (assuming he is healthy).