Dusseldorf : Benfica (Friendly)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 11, 2012.

1. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    lol there mere fact that this stems from a Brazilian's act (or lack of, actually) shows your true ignorance.

And to answer your question, all that video shows is Luisao clearly, AT MOST, body checking the ref. You have to be absolutely blind/biased to say that was in any way a headbutt. Actually, thanks for the video. Really did make what Luisao said his initial intention's were even clearer. He's clearly running up telling his teammates to back off and tries to get in between the ref and Maxi Pereira, resulting in the body check.

2. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Oh, is that all he did? Sorry for making such a big deal of it.

3. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    So I'm assuming you agree with me? Good.

As I said many times, Luisao shouldn't have done what he did. That being said, the wrong he did do, I VERY much doubt he did intentionally. All this claim about "What does the ref have to gain from it???". Real question: What would a Brazilian international, captain of one of the biggest sides in Europe, have to gain from intentionally hitting a ref in a friendly game? Guess that questionnever crossed your guys' minds, huh. :rolleyes:

4. erepeyov

erepeyov New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    fyp ;-)

Well, what did he have to gain. I guess he was looking for a nice long holiday.

On a more serious note, I don't believe he even wanted to touch the ref, let alone knock him down, it was probably just bad luck. I'll definitely give him the benfit of the doubt.

BUT, Luisao and Benfica should have apologized and taken full responsibility for everything immediately after this sad incident.
    Instead they decided to mock the ref and call him an actor. Disingenious to say the least.
    Accidents do happen, so the way this was handled by the club might hurt them a lot more than the 'bump'.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  5. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @ Benficafan..... I would say that is pure sarcasm. ANY contact with the referee is wrong. A body check is just as bad as a headbutt IMO. I still believe the referee was headbutted, but it does little good to argue the point with you apparently. Let me just put it simply:

Regardless of the "intentions" or the mindset of the player, any physical contact with the referee is not to be tolerated.

You need to understand this point before we can reason. Their is no "trifling" when it comes to player-referee contact.

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm reluctant to accuse benficafan of trolling because, quite sadly, I think he actually believes what he's writing. Which is, of course, part of the problem that some are pointing out. Then again, his posts are probably more than welcome on the Benfica board if he doesn't want to play nice here.

Either way, DudsBro is right when he says there's not much of a point left to this thread. We'll leave it open for now, because news on punishment could come at some point. But hopefully cooler heads can prevail and the side arguments can die down some.

7. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That's what I said from the beginning. Even if Luisao/Benfica think they are right, just swallow your pride and do the right thing. I can guarantee if Luisao/Benfica apologized right after the incident to the Ref, Fortuna, even contacted UEFA to apoligize, things could of been better. Luisao isn't a career goon so he would of had the benefit of doubt but after mocking the ref, I don't think he will get off easy.

8. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Luisao was going to intimidate the ref no doubt about it. He came in hard and fast with the intent to intimidate. He was gonna get into his face and scream a bunch of Portuguese noise/insults that Fischer wouldn't even understand. However, I don't think Luisao was going to headbutt just because he was pissed off. I think he was clumsy and his momentum took him over and down goes the ref. Here is where Luisao looks like a complete jackass: his absolute lack of contrition. He is trying to flip the script here and it backfired. I bet dollars to donuts if had he apologized profusely and realized his errors, then this would be water under the bridge. Benfica's response is unprofessional and disreputable at best.

Eastshire and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. lemma

lemma Member

Jul 19, 2011
    While the comments of this thread's Benfica apologists are clearly disgraceful, I would not extend them to "Portuguese people" in general.

My experience as a referee in men's games in a big city is that "Portuguese" clubs in general pose no more and no fewer troubles than any other clubs.

I am disappointed that there are referees who would make claims about national characteristics that cannot really be supported by evidence. We are supposed to be better than that.

sjt8184, BatatasFritas and IllinoisRef repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a ref and don't have experience with Portuguese teams, but some of the labeling with a broad brush I'm seeing in this thread makes me a bit uncomfortable. That does seem to be a bit of "all Portuguese teams/players are dirty/clueless/etc." going on that doesn't seem appropriate.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    UPDATE:

On Friday the Portugal Football Federation (FPF) posted this announcement on its website:

"The FPF applied a two-month suspension and a 2,550-euro fine to Anderson Luis da Silva (Luisao).
    As required by FIFA, this decision will be referred to the football governing body."

Links:
    www.fpf.pt
    Reuters article

12. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At least they did something.....

13. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Two months? Soft.

JimEWrld repped this.
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, FIFA was in a bit of a conundrum. There is a minimum six month suspension for assault on a referee if the player receives a red card. But it appears Louisao didn't actually get a card. The facts Surounding a caution or expulsion are the ref's and are final.

But since no expulsion was made, And since no one can agree what actually happened, it appears FIFA just picked something out of a hat.

There is a lesson. As you are wheeled away to the ambulance, show the card. ;)