Durability: synthetic or K-leather??

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by RedDevil29, Jul 16, 2006.

1. RedDevil29

RedDevil29 New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    I'm planning to buy a new soccer cleats and i can't decide either synthetic or k-leather. Because I'm not one of those guys who can have 3 soccer cleats, i'm looking for a durability. So help me out and please tell me which one last longer: Synthetic or k-leather?? Thanks~~:D

2. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both can last longer if you take care of them...

Leather is harder to maintain, while synthetic is easier to maintain.

It really depends try out both types of boots don't go for looks go for feel. I went synthetic just because I'm lazy, and taking care of leather is just a hastle at times *I think :eek:*.

3. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    In terms of durability, the most important thing is abrasion resitance. this is the amount of material that will wear off after repeated abrasioon of ball contact.

In scientific tests, of a number of cycles of abrasion measuring the amount of % of surface removal, the results show that synthetic is the least durable, then normal (cow) leather, then K-leather, then Goat Skin Leather (as used exculsively now on our hummel football boots).

On average, the difference between the different materials show that Goat Skin is abotu 20% more abrasion resistant that K, and 2 times more resistant that cow leather, and 3 times more abrasion resistant that synthetics.

R.

4. RedDevil29

RedDevil29 New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    thx for all the replies, i'll remember the info thx

5. RedDevil29

RedDevil29 New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    and by the way, which shoes are made out of Goatskin??

6. Dr Leather

Dr Leather New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Brisbane
    Richard,

I guess you used the martindale abrasion tester........ are you testing it against the soccer ball material????? Not really a subjective test allied to kicking balls is it.......

Goat is very abrasion resistant, it's true, but durability covers lots of things in a boot. Agreed????

Again forum, classic marketing in all of Richard's posts........ repeated above.

Be warned....

Rgds,

Dr Leather

7. rkuchinsky

rkuchinsky New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Yes durability covers many things, but as anyone who has played soccer knows, the biggest problem is the leather wearing out. This is where the abrasion resistant properties of Goat Skin Leather far (~20% better) outperform Kangaroo or Synthetics, as mentioned.

I am happy to hear you agree to this fact, Dr. Leather. It's nice for a change to hear you admit to some commonly known facts.

R

8. JUKE BOX8

JUKE BOX8 New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    SAN josie
    I dont know... I trust Dr. Leather when it comes to leather... he has like a Phd in leather or some crazy stuff like that.

9. DarrenOHooligan

Apr 19, 2004
    Fanita Rancho Elite
    This is my uneducated opinion:

First off, These tests are in controlled situations. I've never trusted tests like this no matter what they are. Controlled situations are suited so the outcome benefits whoever's doing the test. I don't want to hear that it's done by a "independant 3rd party" either. There's always $$ involved REGARDLESS.

Second, The only test I trust is the one that my boots go through on my own 2 feet. In my personal experience, synthetic hold up much better than leather. This is from the condition of the boots after multiple games, on multiple surfaces, (field turf, wet grass, dry grass, and grass/dirt combo fields) as well different types of balls, and other players going after ankles, I can show you my cellerators and f30.6 (synthetics), and my umbro x-boots (k-leather),the 2 boots i've worn the most, and you'll see a difference in condition. I trust my eyes more than these "tests", and at the end of the day, if my k-leather boots have deep scuuff which cut the leather, and scuffed up toes where the leather is peeling, and my synthetics are still one color, only scuffed, I'm going to go with synthetics...

That's my 34¢
    (original 2¢ adjusted for tax and inflation)

*EDIT* It's not my intention to upset, or disregard anyone here on this thread, again this is just my opinion. In no way am I educated in textiles! Just a shoe whore!

10. RedDevil29

RedDevil29 New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Mt. Prospect, IL
    i really appreciate you guys for helping me out with the question. Thank you:) :)

11. Dr Leather

Dr Leather New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Brisbane
    Whilst I admit that on an untreated basis a goat skin will have higher abrasion resistance than a red species kangaroo. But goat abrasion properties are matched by a grey species kangaroo.....which is predominantly what we use for soccer. Now then, the next part is that we introduce many components in the tannage for abrasion resistance which will level the playing field so to speak against the abrasion resistance of goat. Finally most companies request a coating on the leather which will give it more abrasion resistance still. But I'm not giving away all our secrets!!!!!:rolleyes:

I too am a believer though in wear trials. As these give the real answer, rather than eith er the Taber or Martindale testing. These tests just serve a marketing purpose..........:cool: we wear trial extensively to see if our technologies work. Then we find a lab test that confirms the wear trials and go from there.

We also have to remember that different brands request different technical properties, some are not so worried about abrasion.

Really there is little more that can be said on this topic. Facts are facts. As studied over many years throughout the world.

Rgds,

Dr Leather